Ref Watch City Games - 2023/24

So why didn't he obey the part of the law or guidance you have quoted? I've asked a couple of times now. Someone show just one single example of a referee playing advantage and signalling, and then bringing the game back for the original foul. It doesn't happen in football. It does happen in rugby.

I’ve already said I’ll show you some after this weeks games :)

He did obey that part of the law, he played on. He just didn’t wait long enough to see the advantage was clear and fucked up.

Are you saying that you've never seen a ref play advantage, then bring play back for the original foul, when no advantage occurs?

That must happen in nearly every game of football I've ever watched.
It has not happened in a single game you have watched.

What you have seen many times is for a referee to wait a short while to see if an advantage develops before making the decision to play an advantage or award the foul. But once they make the decision to allow an advantage, or not to, there is no provision in the laws of the game allowing them to change their mind.

What happened yesterday is that the ref saw Haaland get fouled, saw him get back up and decided to play an advantage, as he signals with his arm. Having done that, and with Grealish clear through on goal, he then blew for the foul.

He didn't wait to make his call and then get it wrong. He made his call and then changed his mind.

The laws don't permit that.

It was very similar in timing to the Luis challenge in the Chelsea home game where Alty was poised to blow for the foul (which would have resulted in a sending off), and then he carried on as if nothing happened. That was CLEARLY a voice in his ear, and I believe that's what happened yesterday.

In my opinion that decision was NOT made on the field of play.

I agree something was shouted in his ear piece yesterday. The ref made a good call to play on, someone made him change his mind.

1) It was a terrible decision.

2) The reaction by our players was unacceptable.

3) These two views can both be true

Yesterday, the U15 match where I was a lino was halted (& then restarted) because of foul language and allegations of corruption directed at the ref and linesmen by players. It doesn't need to be this way - but I believe that the standard set by the Premier League players cascades to lower levels and junior football. Sadly I'd support sanctions against our players

It’s not in the laws that that decision is final, the guidance is that they can do this -

“The referee can wait a few seconds to allow a possible advantage to develop, and if the non-offending team does not benefit and gains no advantage, the original free kick can be given.“

Ideally he shouldn’t have raised his arm to signal advantage but that’s a recommendation not a law. Some refs do it, some don’t.

It could certainly be clearer.

"The referee can wait a few seconds to allow a possible advantage to develop, and if the non-offending team does not benefit and gains no advantage, the original free kick can be given. However, the non-offending team should not be given two chances, e.g. a player is fouled but recovers and has a shot at goal; if the player does not score, the referee cannot go back and give a free kick for the original offence."

Yesterday Hooper played the advantage. If nothing came of the advantage, he is not allowed to go back and give the free kick. There is not one precedent to what Hooper did yesterday.

It has not happened in a single game you have watched.

What you have seen many times is for a referee to wait a short while to see if an advantage develops before making the decision to play an advantage or award the foul. But once they make the decision to allow an advantage, or not to, there is no provision in the laws of the game allowing them to change their mind.

What happened yesterday is that the ref saw Haaland get fouled, saw him get back up and decided to play an advantage, as he signals with his arm. Having done that, and with Grealish clear through on goal, he then blew for the foul.

He didn't wait to make his call and then get it wrong. He made his call and then changed his mind.

The laws don't permit that.
Your right. Terrible from the ref and one to put alongside the joke at the swamp last season. However, even if Jack had scored they probably would have had enough time to equalise given the perilous state of our defence yesterday.

The players definitely weren't pleased about the ref, but so far it looks like they and Pep stayed the right side of getting an FA charge. It was a joke yesterday.

I don't, however, agree with the last bit - and really not sure why it's become such a talking point. All the commentators seem to talk about it as if it's a tragedy waiting to happen.

Footballers are challenging, tackling and fouling each other all the time - what's so precious about this particular scenario, that makes it more important than a chance to score a goal, which is pretty much the whole point of the game. We know assistants get close offsides wrong all the time, so if they're only 75% sure, then let it go, and let the players take a chance - just as they are happy to do during the rest of the match.
key word CLEAR Like the one yesterday

Im interested in your reason why you think he did that?
If it was to fuck us over its because..
hes a spurs fan
He hates city
He was told by the prem league to do us if he can.
He was told by var in his ear piece to blow.
He was bribed

So which is it?
It's not up to me to guess at his motives, it's up to him to explain his decision.

1) It was a terrible decision.

2) The reaction by our players was unacceptable.

3) These two views can both be true

Yesterday, the U15 match where I was a lino was halted (& then restarted) because of foul language and allegations of corruption directed at the ref and linesmen by players. It doesn't need to be this way - but I believe that the standard set by the Premier League players cascades to lower levels and junior football. Sadly I'd support sanctions against our players
Fuck off liner.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.