Fascinating old Manchester pictures.

Kids who lived in council houses taking the piss out of kids who were "Poor" and lived in council flats :)

Corner shops were a revelation too, until Woolco opened in civic there wasn't a genuinely proper big supermarket in Wythenshawe was there?

We had a general store, Warren's, a butchers, a newsagents, Flanagan's, a launderette and a chippy. I remember Warren's being quite big and it sold almost everything. My mum bought paraffin from there for our heater we used upstairs in the winter. A couple of hours in the morning and the same at night to warm the bedrooms up.

We had a general store, Warren's, a butchers, a newsagents, Flanagan's, a launderette and a chippy. I remember Warren's being quite big and it sold almost everything. My mum bought paraffin from there for our heater we used upstairs in the winter. A couple of hours in the morning and the same at night to warm the bedrooms up.

We were sandwiched between Bowland Rd shops and Greenbrow parade, my younger brothers got their sweets from Bowland Rd and I did a bit of errand running for my Mam at Greenbrow.

We moved to Wythenshawe and it was like winning the pools. A front and back garden, bathroom, indoor toilet and a bedroom each. Greens out front where we played as kids.
Funnily enough, my Mam, her fours sisters and her Mam and Dad lived in a two room cellar under a cobblers in Ladybarn, when they were offered a house on Haveley road my Granddad apparently told them to “fuck off, I’m not moving to the countryside in the middle of nowhere”, still makes me laugh.

The pictures are a fair reflection of some of the dying areas / communities in Manchester in the late 60s.

I had loads of mates from Levy, Gorton and Longsight who lived in absolute dumps and whose mum wouldn't let you in the house out of shame. Their dads generally didn't give a shit and spent most of their time in the pub.

My best mate in the early 60s shared a bedroom with three brothers in two beds, had torn lino on the floor, and an old paraffin heater. His sisters shared a bedroom with their mum and dad.
I always remember that they had a City team photo and a photo of Bert Trautmann on the wall in their kitchen.

In my experience, it seemed to be that if your dad wasn't a doler and/or pisshead, you lived in a decent house.

Much of Moss Side, Victoria Park etc was beyond saving by the mid 60s after unscrupulous landlords took advantage of Windrush families, putting them in houses that were already unfit for habitation.

My uncle and aunty lived in Northenden in the early 60s and I clearly remember visiting them. We had to get three buses to get there from Levenshulme, and it took ages. When we arrived, I went out to play with my cousins in wide open fields, where horses were tied up (it was probably a gypsy site!).
As far as we were concerned, they lived miles away in the countryside.

Remember the paraffin heaters well. Had one at my grandmas in the 70's. Was in the hall, no central heating, only a coal fire. Bedrooms were freezing. For some funny reason I also remember getting an Action Man with gripping hands for Xmas, I was so happy.

Remember the paraffin heaters well. Had one at my grandmas in the 70's. Was in the hall, no central heating, only a coal fire. Bedrooms were freezing. For some funny reason I also remember getting an Action Man with gripping hands for Xmas, I was so happy.
Gripping hand, just the one working hand. An upgrade on action man with realistic beard and scar.
The house we were in on Lord lane had two fireplaces. That was the only heat in the house and only one fire was ever lit. The chimney breast in the room above gave off a bit of heat for my sisters.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.