19 | Julian Alvarez - 2023/24

Hmmm. Really undecided on him, he’s brilliant but a bit of a passenger. And not as clinical as I thought he was going to be. But then I didn’t expect his passing and vision to be so good.

A passenger an awful lot, though.

I defended Pep’s choice to play Alvarez, which I had assumed would be for the purpose of adding his high pressing, especially of Endo, who I still think is one of Liverpool’s weaknesses (unfortunately, our midfield—particularly Kev—were well off the pace today so couldn’t capitalise on his deficiencies).

But, if I am brutally honest, Alvarez was pretty terrible. He gave away the ball with nearly every touch, either through a miscontrol or a woeful pass. Pep leaving him on for as long as he did, after it was clear absolutely nothing was coming off for him, was a head scratcher.

To be clear, I think he is much, much better than what he showed today. But I think we need to give him a few matches off so he can refocus for the final run.

I defender Pep’s choice to play Alvarez, which I had assumed would be for the purpose of adding his high pressing, especially of Endo, who I still think is one of Liverpool’s weak links (unfortunately, our midfield—particularly Kev—were well off the pace today so couldn’t capitalise on his deficiencies).

But, if I am brutally honest, he was pretty terrible. He gave away the ball with nearly every touch, either through a miscontrol or a woeful pass. Pep leaving him on for as long as he did, after it was clear absolutely nothing was coming off for him, was a head scratcher.

To be clear, I think he is much, much better than what he showed today. But I think we need to give him a few matches off so he can refocus for the final run.

The Alvarez situation is strange. Pep is all about control of the midfield. We don’t have when he plays Alvarez there. But he has done this pretty much all season now.

He’s an excellent squad player. He’s not currently good enough to be starting every week in this side. Today he was fucking abysmal.

29 G+A this season. Nothing to see here. Bad game to play him, though. Not at Anfield in this formation.
How many goals and assists against the top teams in the league ? 0 against Liverpool, 0 against Arsenal, 0 against Villa, 0 against Spurs, only 1 assist against the rags.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.