PL charge City for alleged breaches of financial rules

Oh dear, the cost of stadium development is not a sign of City's confidence, why not?
If ( and a big if ) we are found guilty then the repercussions will cost CFG billions in lost asset value and revenue. Just think the financial commitment to the new stand will be small in consideration in the big picture and the hotel is more linked to the opening of arena than the stadium

Agree it is a good sign of confidence though - although I’m sure it would have gone ahead regardless of confidence.

I’m just looking at worst case scenario and I’m confident we will not be found guilty of the main charges.

But what must be considered is that the PL have paid multi millions for legal advice on this matter. Their annual accounts show a huge increase in legal costs.

Their legal advisors must be confident of this case. They simply would not have gone this far if they weren’t.

I know we have theories on who has pressured them - but there is not a chance we have got to this stage if their lawyers weren’t confident of their case.
Jesus mate give it up. We get it you are a doom monger. The league is fucking loaded and will think nothing about throwing millions about to appease the clubs that have lost revenue due to city’s rise.

Last edited:
The way the 115 were shoddily cobbled together and rushed out just as the govt was looking at independent regulation suggests the PL were panicking, in a rush to get something out, and didn't take the time to get the advice you suggest.
The charges would've at least referred to the correct rule numbers if there were any professional pre-publication legal input
One thing I don't understand is did City having the charges filed against us stop the government's proposals being released?

If ( and a big if ) we are found guilty then the repercussions will cost CFG billions in lost asset value and revenue. Just think the financial commitment to the new stand will be small in consideration in the big picture and the hotel is more linked to the opening of arena than the stadium

Agree it is a good sign of confidence though - although I’m sure it would have gone ahead regardless of confidence.
Changed your mind then, on the confidence of the stadium development, funny that

They are in too deep to stop. UEFA spent millions on lawyers but when it came to CAS they literally had no evidence. Don’t underestimate how stupid Masters is. The lawyers are always happy to get paid.

This is really the only explanation, imo, why they are continuing. They started the investigation, found some things that needed explanation but the club didn't provide the proof to support the explanations because they aren't required by the PL rules, or by UK law so to do, it being information held externally. So what do the PL do? Finish the investigation without a proper conclusion, which is a terrible situation for a governing body? Or continue with the disciplinary process, incur huge legal fees, and then "lose" the case, which is a terrible situation for a governing body.

The club has stitched the PL up good and proper over this, I think. We really have some clever people running the club.

you are a legal man - are you telling me that PL would have proceeded the way they have even if they were advised their case wasn’t strong enough ?

Four years to build a case and they went ahead even if advised what they have is not strong enough ?
They were pressured to make the charge, is that not obvious?

My take is the sound of the jungle drums is changing it's beat, just this week several media outlets saying the relationship with the rags is changing to almost cordial, not a coincidence and not just because Omar is going over there.

When we are cleared there will be a lot of clubs/individuals looking over their shoulders and worrying, some unpleasant and dam right lies have been put out in public about the actions of our club and owners.

What our club has achieved since the takeover is nothing more than magnificent and should have been lauded and used as an example how a modern football club should be run and with the incredible benefit for the City of Manchester and the UK in general.

We have raised the bar higher than it's ever been, we have cemented the PL as the best league in the world and revolutionised how the game is played in the UK at every level of the pyramid and beyond.

I agree. Complete amateur hour at the PL. Masters has also embarrassed himself multiple times.

But the accusations are so serious they must have known what they were getting into - no matter how rushed it was getting it announced.

Hopefully it’s a sign of their whole case.

Not sure what I’m getting dragged into this in a negative way. I’m sure we will be found not guilty of the most serious charges.

I was only answering an earlier post of what will happen if it goes against us - which is a nightmare scenario.

My advice would be not to get drawn into discussions like that. The first hundred pages of this thread were about what will happen if the allegations were true. It's not healthy, especially when the chances of that happening, imo, are so small as to be almost inconceivable.

You can't stop people worrying about it, but we shouldn't be encouraging them with doom mongering. All imho, of course.

One thing I don't understand is did City having the charges filed against us stop the government's proposals being released?

No. And the developments of the last few months have hardly shown that the PL is governing well.

If it was an attempt to stave off the IR, it was ill conceived.

I have said this a few times and I think others have. So let’s go further based on what you me and others have said. The premier league clearly do not even believe we have done what is alleged or they would have reported us to the authorities and would use the word fraud rather than basically say we committed fraud without actually saying it same for so called pundits and journalists. The raid as you say would have followed.

The fact that this has not been pointed out by a pundit or journalist is even more remarkable.

To knowingly accuse a major footballing institution multiple companies be it sponsors auditors investors etc and a member of royal family of crime you know they did not commit would be an even bigger story than 115 charges and should have been picked up by at least one journalist. Which makes you wonder what is going on and who is behind this all but I think we know that

A couple of things that keep getting raised that we should put the lid on once and for all.

Firstly, the word fraud isn't used in the allegations because this is a case of breach of contract. The contract between the PL and the club doesn't refer to fraud, so the allegations carefully (eventually) refer to the rules in the contract that were breached. The combination of rule breaches may effectively represent fraud but the absense of the word in the PL statement means nothing and implies nothing.

Secondly, there is no legal requirement, other than in a regulated industry, to report fraud to the authorities. The fact that the PL hasn't referred the club to the SFO, for example, means nothing and implies nothing.

I'd love to see your sums on that

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.