Discussion: Manuel Pellegrini 2015/16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ha. Is it potato or potato ? In other words, same difference mate. Yes Sterling and Navas had to do a lot of work in the defensive phases of play, but then at the very highest level you have to do that (just look at the work rate of Bayern's wingers for example). For me the key was the inverted triangle in the middle of the park and wingers making runs from out to in. Identikit Barca under Pep for me.

It was 4-1-4-1; although the inverted triangle was very tight. Bony though was definitely a lone front man. :-)

Does it actually matter what combination of 4's, 3's,2's and 1's you call it ?

What it was, was fluid, attacking, exciting, it had all the ingredients of a MP team, but with better tempo than we've ever played. Yaya was at his best, Fernando like a rock, Fernandhino the best we've ever watched.

What a contrast it was from Norwich on Saturday, when we plodded around with no tempo at all, hoping for small holes to appear, and yet still getting caught out by the odd counter attack.

I've watched this club for well over 40 years, and I struggle to remember a better performance, and I was particularly impressed with how we controlled the second half, they never really looked like getting one, yet we looked more than capable of adding to our lead, and upping our game if required.

The formation part is only important in terms of how you defend in the main, 4 1 4 1 and 4 3 3 can be the same thing, the important part is having the wide 2 supporting the midfield in defence and supporting bony in attack, but the big thing is how the 3 in the middle work, fernando sits and dinho and toure have licence to go forward but they have to be aware of each other's position

They played it perfectly last night, the key was not using toure in the number 10 role

Does it actually matter what combination of 4's, 3's,2's and 1's you call it ?

What it was, was fluid, attacking, exciting, it had all the ingredients of a MP team, but with better tempo than we've ever played. Yaya was at his best, Fernando like a rock, Fernandhino the best we've ever watched.

What a contrast it was from Norwich on Saturday, when we plodded around with no tempo at all, hoping for small holes to appear, and yet still getting caught out by the odd counter attack.

I've watched this club for well over 40 years, and I struggle to remember a better performance, and I was particularly impressed with how we controlled the second half, they never really looked like getting one, yet we looked more than capable of adding to our lead, and upping our game if required.

Cleavers, I've been saying that to my mates today, although they aren't having it. Given the circumstances, that was one of the most complete City performances I have EVER seen. A fairer score would have been 6 or 7-1.

The formation part is only important in terms of how you defend in the main, 4 1 4 1 and 4 3 3 can be the same thing, the important part is having the wide 2 supporting the midfield in defence and supporting bony in attack, but the big thing is how the 3 in the middle work, fernando sits and dinho and toure have licence to go forward but they have to be aware of each other's position

They played it perfectly last night, the key was not using toure in the number 10 role

This for me. There is a very little difference between 451, 4141, 433 and 4231. They are all formations that revolve around 1 striker and the subtle differences come down to how rigid the midfield is and how many players you allow to run / press forward.
For me the improvement last night was not so much the positional play but the mix of players was spot on for an away game where the opposition needed to win and our energy levels were excellent. In the first 5 games of the season we played Navas and Sterling in similar wide roles and when they are playing well it really pins defences back. That opened up the middle and the 3 powerful midfielders were able to dominate and string things together. Fdinho’s box to box running and Bony’s hold up play was working well so we were making progress down the middle as well as the wings.
A great performance without 3 of our star players.

Cleavers, I've been saying that to my mates today, although they aren't having it. Given the circumstances, that was one of the most complete City performances I have EVER seen. A fairer score would have been 6 or 7-1.

Oh, be fair. Sevilla should have had at least 2, given Llorente's miss.

Formation was bang on, as Pellegrini solved the Yaya conundrum. Too advanced and he becomes a second striker, yet too deep and he can be a defensive liability. Last night he had the perfect protection behind him and went forward selectively.

We also seemed to be clearer in our intentions off the ball. Some games I've watched us, and 2 players press whilst the rest sit off. Last night though it was clear that we pressed when they had possession in their own half, about to counter attack, and then kept our shape when in our own half.

Overall, the best tactical game from the manager in his 2 and a half years here. I just hope he utilises this pragmatism more often.

Oh, be fair. Sevilla should have had at least 2, given Llorente's miss.

If you were to include all the big misses then it should have been about 10-2.

Whatever, it was totally and utterly brilliant. Going back to Pellegrini, you can't label a manager a tactical genius after one great win, just like you can't label him a tactical flop after one bad defeat. He takes the calls, takes the gambles and then whether they pay off depends on the players and a bit of luck. But overall you want him to get the majority right and he is doing. I'm particularly glad that he's found a role for Yaya Toure in that 3 man pivot midfield which plays to his strengths and doesn't have him with his back to goal or tracking runners.

We will see that 4-3-3 formation again when it's right, no doubt. And of course it isn't going to be easy to shoehorn our top players into it, particularly Aguero. But there are going to be so many games where these players aren't available or need a rest that it is going to be a significant new string to our bow.

Whatever, it was totally and utterly brilliant. Going back to Pellegrini, you can't label a manager a tactical genius after one great win, just like you can't label him a tactical flop after one bad defeat. He takes the calls, takes the gambles and then whether they pay off depends on the players and a bit of luck. But overall you want him to get the majority right and he is doing. I'm particularly glad that he's found a role for Yaya Toure in that 3 man pivot midfield which plays to his strengths and doesn't have him with his back to goal or tracking runners.

We will see that 4-3-3 formation again when it's right, no doubt. And of course it isn't going to be easy to shoehorn our top players into it, particularly Aguero. But there are going to be so many games where these players aren't available or need a rest that it is going to be a significant new string to our bow.

I think silva is the hardest to fit in rather than aguero

Totally agree.
No likelihood that MP will be raved about in the media as a tactical genius though!

It's Fernandinho's running that makes it work, allied to two quick wide men who drop back occasionally to get in the way.

Navas looks better in Europe where there tends to be more space. de Bruyne will play on Sunday, and then somehow he has to work out how to get Silva into the team!

Cleavers, I've been saying that to my mates today, although they aren't having it.
The trouble is, people see results first, obviously we've had more important results (though not many for me, as that showing in europe could prove to be very important in the coming months and years).

As far as performances go, they're not always followed by a 'great' result, but more importantly a great result doesn't always mean a great performance, in fact two of our greatest ever results followed fairly shit performances if we're honest (Gillingham 99 and QPR 12).

Last night had everything pretty perfect, we started like a train, they couldn't live with us, they got back into it, and briefly threatened to turn it round and the whole team rallied and kept them out, then we went at them again, to get the third. Second half we totally dominated, with great efficiency too, and by the end most of our players looked fresh, whereas Sevilla looked out on their feet.

A statement that we are now at another level for me, a level we've never been at before.

(I just hope it wasn't a flash in the pan.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.