Discussion: Manuel Pellegrini 2015/16

Status
Not open for further replies.
No it actually doesn't show that at all.

No need for any of that, we are just talking football here & it shows quite clearly, that Sterling was taking up attacking positions, very similar to a 433, at least earlier in the game, which is exactly what was being discussed. And that we had a 3 man centre mid. Very similar to Barca.

If Sterling had been taking up mostly wide positions, then the No7 would be on the left, out wide.

Likewise, Silva in that picture, where Sterling is positioned on average, would be comfortable but not with Kolarov, as Silva won't get back so quickly. Also, although Bony holds the ball up better than Aguero, Barca don't have a player doing that, so it can work without such a traditional cf. With Silva, City would keep the ball better.

Just about finding the right, balanced 11 to do it. Well worth experimenting.

Wasn't having a go fella I just find those graphs pretty silly, both sterling and navas played pretty wide last night, certainly more so than a robben or ribery, silva in that position would show more central and deeper no doubt, if you look at dinho's position for instance it makes a mockery of the graph, the only way you would get a position wider than navas/sterling is if the winger played a lot of the game in the stands drinking a bovril, ie Rick Holden

Wasn't having a go fella I just find those graphs pretty silly, both sterling and navas played pretty wide last night, certainly more so than a robben or ribery, silva in that position would show more central and deeper no doubt, if you look at dinho's position for instance it makes a mockery of the graph, the only way you would get a position wider than navas/sterling is if the winger played a lot of the game in the stands drinking a bovril, ie Rick Holden

You can clearly see the difference in the wide positions from the Seville graph. It's a genuine representation of where the players were on average for the first 20 mins. If you watch the replay, Fernandinho is in that position & Sterling Navas are cutting in a lot & getting ahead of the cf. Kompany in his interview describes them as 'upfront' & talks about them making runs behind. Pellegrini talks about Fernandinho getting forward.

That's how we played, at least early on. And it's very similar to how Bayern or Barca would look on a graph. Silva & DeBruyne could both play that role imo but the midfield would then have to be a bit more careful about covering, as they will drift around even more.

But it's all doable with a bit of experimentation. Now we should work on it imo, & see what permutations we can come up with. It's irrelevant what the formation is called, as it changes every few seconds, but the key, imo, is one extra man in centre midfield. It gives the oppo less time to dwell on the ball & enables us to get it moving quickly with short passes. I'm sure we can operate many variations on that theme & maybe do it even better.

Last night was possibly Pellegrini's best game for us tactically.

Our team selection is now very difficult, especially in the Champion's League. I'd be in favour of keeping last night's formation and adding in Aguero and De Bruyne. Our trio in centre midfield with two quick wingers really worked last night. The trio in centre midfield is something we've lacked for a long time in this competition, Yaya +1 has proven not to work.

I think only one of Silva and Yaya can play in the Champion's League; Fernando, Fernandinho plus either Silva/Yaya is the way we should go.

Lots of difficult decisions ahead for Pellegrini, but his tactics were excellent last night.

Wouldn't mind seeing him trying Silva Aguero and Sterling ahead of the back 7 from last night with Silva as a false 9/No. 10, Sterling as the right sided forward and Aguero as the left sided forward, might prove too congested though.

Wouldn't mind seeing him trying Silva Aguero and Sterling ahead of the back 7 from last night with Silva as a false 9/No. 10, Sterling as the right sided forward and Aguero as the left sided forward, might prove too congested though.

Imo, against the better teams, he should pick the back 4, then pick two out of of Fern, Fern, Delph. Then pick 4 out of the attackers. I recon he will find a whole bunch of different possibilities, many of which will be a nightmare to play against. Then with 3 subs, it gives huge tactical possibilities.

Just pick the base & build on top of it.

Imo, against the better teams, he should pick the back 4, then pick two out of of Fern, Fern, Delph. Then pick 4 out of the attackers. I recon he will find a whole bunch of different possibilities, many of which will be a nightmare to play against. Then with 3 subs, it gives huge tactical possibilities.

I'd have Fernandinho as the main box to box player most importantly, we know what he's capable of with cover behind from his Shaktar days but he's very rarely been given the chance to show it here. Give him that freedom and he makes us more solid defensively because he has so much energy to press from the front.

Exactly, and Clichy would be in ahead of Kolorov for me for those games. Kolorov can play against the parked buses. As you say, we suddenly have many many possibilities for starting elevens as well as teams to change to mid-game. As well as being dictated by the opposition it will be dictated by availability and fitness. If we can work this right we can stop overplaying the likes of Silva and Fernandinho as well. That's why it's so exciting.

I'd have Fernandinho as the main box to box player most importantly, we know what he's capable of with cover behind from his Shaktar days but he's very rarely been given the chance to show it here. Give him that freedom and he makes us more solid defensively because he has so much energy to press from the front.

Don't forget Delph can do that job when Fernandinho is injured, suspended or tired.

For all the talk of what formation we were playing, the key last night for me was Pellers having the gonads to drop De Bruyne and start Sterling.

In the end we played 3 solid centre midfielders and sacrificed KDB for two out and out wingers who offered us amazing pace and penetration when we won the ball. Great call by the gaffer, KDB never looks as good out wide so what it boiled down to (since Yaya is undroppable in European games) is do we play both the Fernan's or sacrifice one to accomodate KDB. He called it perfectly and we fucking hammered last years Europa league winners. Great European night for us!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.