Discussion: Manuel Pellegrini 2015/16

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think silva is the hardest to fit in rather than aguero

I think Silva is so damn good he could slot in one of the wide roles, although running at people is not his game. But a significant part of that team structure was Bony holding the ball up (brilliantly), and Sergio can't do that.

the thing is, though, there won't be many games like that where teams are bombing onto us and leaving big gaps. But there will be some. Second leg cup ties, second half of game when we are a goal up etc. what I haven't felt since the Sheikh came was the confidence that the centre halves give me to hold the line.

The trouble is, people see results first, obviously we've had more important results (though not many for me, as that showing in europe could prove to be very important in the coming months and years).

As far as performances go, they're not always followed by a 'great' result, but more importantly a great result doesn't always mean a great performance, in fact two of our greatest ever results followed fairly shit performances if we're honest (Gillingham 99 and QPR 12).

Last night had everything pretty perfect, we started like a train, they couldn't live with us, they got back into it, and briefly threatened to turn it round and the whole team rallied and kept them out, then we went at them again, to get the third. Second half we totally dominated, with great efficiency too, and by the end most of our players looked fresh, whereas Sevilla looked out on their feet.

A statement that we are now at another level for me, a level we've never been at before.

(I just hope it wasn't a flash in the pan.)

Brilliant post. Agree with every word. And your final point is the reason I am drooling with excitement. This team is evolving again right before our eyes. Look at the different dimensions we have added this season: the ability to win frustrating games, defensive solidity, the ability to win without Silva. This is strating to look like the complete team, a team who can win, yes win, the Champions League.

That was no flash in the pan.

I think Silva is so damn good he could slot in one of the wide roles, although running at people is not his game. But a significant part of that team structure was Bony holding the ball up (brilliantly), and Sergio can't do that.

the thing is, though, there won't be many games like that where teams are bombing onto us and leaving big gaps. But there will be some. Second leg cup ties, second half of game when we are a goal up etc. what I haven't felt since the Sheikh came was the confidence that the centre halves give me to hold the line.

Silva could certainly play wide of the 3 he has done it many times, the guy is a genius, however he can't play it like sterling or navas and we get into the same problems we have had in the past with protection of the fullbacks and real pace on the counter, we end having to play in a different way

With Sergio we lose hold up to a certain extent but you get more pace and better movement as well as a more clinical finisher, I don't think Sevilla were bombing forward all gung Ho, we played well in possession and on the counter, this formation and way of playing shouldn't only be used away in second leg ties, our history in the tournament shows we should be doing this against any decent technical side, so in affect everyone we are likely to play from this point on

I think silva is the hardest to fit in rather than aguero

I don’t know what Pellers would have done if Silva was fit but it is hard to imagine how he would have improved us last night. As we scored so early and had a 2 goal cushion for the most part the game was about containing them and punishing them for trying to get forward. Silva is much more suited to breaking down 9 man defences.

I don’t know what Pellers would have done if Silva was fit but it is hard to imagine how he would have improved us last night. As we scored so early and had a 2 goal cushion for the most part the game was about containing them and punishing them for trying to get forward. Silva is much more suited to breaking down 9 man defences.
On last night's showing if we replaced
Bony, Navas & Fernando with Silva, De Bruyne and Aguero we may well have lost. Tricky this football.

If we had everyone fit and we're playing Bayern or any of the European sides tomorrow either home or away I would play the exact same team but with Sergio which is a shame for bony who played very well, would pellegrini leave out silva and bench kdb again, that I don't know

The old average position graph, one of life's most pointless stats, it looks from that that Sevilla played a highly original 10 in the centre circle formation, radical

No it actually doesn't show that at all.

No need for any of that, we are just talking football here & it shows quite clearly, that Sterling was taking up attacking positions, very similar to a 433, at least earlier in the game, which is exactly what was being discussed. And that we had a 3 man centre mid. Very similar to Barca.

If Sterling had been taking up mostly wide positions, then the No7 would be on the left, out wide.

Likewise, Silva in that picture, where Sterling is positioned on average, would be comfortable but not with Kolarov, as Silva won't get back so quickly. Also, although Bony holds the ball up better than Aguero, Barca don't have a player doing that, so it can work without such a traditional cf. With Silva, City would keep the ball better.

Just about finding the right, balanced 11 to do it. Well worth experimenting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.