The Pep 'Survivor List' (Senior and Junior (loanee) players)

Spot on Cleavers. Whether because of injury or because he genuinely doesn't have the heart, Silva has been defensively weak for along time and has gotten away with it whilst the forum boo-boys paint Toure as the devil incarnate. The number of times David has left full backs exposed, let midfield runners jog away from him, stood with his hands on his hips because he hasn't gotten a call,these are things that Pep will not put up with - and I agree it isn't exclusive to Silva. ALL our attacking players with the exception of Sterling and Navas struggle to do the defensive side of their jobs with any diligence or any real commitment over 90 minutes. Maybe Pellegrini allows them that kind of freedom and expects his defenders to deal with one on ones - but Pep won't have it.
I don't agree with the not having the heart theory because I've watched him, as a small player getting lumps kicked out of him for 5 years show more heart than the majority of players in the team. He's worked hard for the team since the day he got here and this last four months is the only time he's looked genuinely off the pace - which comes after another injury.
I think Pep will be chomping at the bit at the thought of working with somebody with Silvas ability. If he's after him working harder and changing his game I'm as equally sure that Silva is up for the challenge.

I don't agree with the not having the heart theory because I've watched him, as a small player getting lumps kicked out of him for 5 years show more heart than the majority of players in the team. He's worked hard for the team since the day he got here and this last four months is the only time he's looked genuinely off the pace - which comes after another injury.
I think Pep will be chomping at the bit at the thought of working with somebody with Silvas ability. If he's after him working harder and changing his game I'm as equally sure that Silva is up for the challenge.
Nobody was saying he doesn't have "heart" (whatever that is), and we all know he gets kicked around, however your kidding yourself if you think he defends from the front, he does little or no defending in most games, and he will be required to by Pep, as will all the players, or they simply won't be picked.

Will Pep be looking forward to working with David Silva, of course he will, and very few have said otherwise.

Nobody was saying he doesn't have "heart" (whatever that is), and we all know he gets kicked around, however your kidding yourself if you think he defends from the front, he does little or no defending in most games, and he will be required to by Pep, as will all the players, or they simply won't be picked.

Will Pep be looking forward to working with David Silva, of course he will, and very few have said otherwise.
The post I responded to was asking that question quite clearly.
I don't think he defends from the front, I think he works hard (or has up until recently) to win the ball back and doesn't shirk responsibility (again, up until recently)

All City need is someone to boss the midfield and give a kick up the pants to the rest of the team. Other than that, as everyone has said, our team are good enough to win the prem, we dont need to go changing everything, just one of two things

I suspect that not many will be out on their ear before Pep has a good look at them. Everything I've read suggests he wants players who understand what he wants and can adapt to the way he wants to play. Even Yaya might not be a hopeless case, although I think he'll decide to leave anyway. Aome will have to change but we can't say at this stage who will adapt and who won't.

I suspect that not many will be out on their ear before Pep has a good look at them. Everything I've read suggests he wants players who understand what he wants and can adapt to the way he wants to play. Even Yaya might not be a hopeless case, although I think he'll decide to leave anyway. Aome will have to change but we can't say at this stage who will adapt and who won't.
Said as much earlier in the thread, nobody on here has the first idea who will survive, just their own opinions on who they'd get rid of.

Hart
Zabaleta
Kompany
Otamendi
Mangala
Delph
Fernandinho
Sterling
Navas
Nasri
Silva
De Bruyne
Aguero
Ihenacho

Will all be safe long term.

Pep's style of play is not too dissimilar to how we've seen City play sporadically under Pellegrini. The game at home to Tottenham where Navas scored the opener and Negredo that cracker is exactly his sort of style. It's 100% front foot pressure on the opposition. Man for man we are a better side than Leicester. How do we make this count? Pressure them when they have the ball so they can't keep it for long, when we have it use it effectively and don't give it away. Tire Leicester out, drag them around the pitch and make our possession and pressure count. That's what Pep will expect. He'd have dragged Silva off for continually getting caught in possession and then making no effort to recover the ball. He'd have slapped Delph for gifting possession away time and time again from midfield.

Having said that, he probably wouldn't have allowed us to play with such a lack of balance. Zabaleta had so much space at times but no natural width ahead of him because Silva drift inside so often.

Anyway, Pellegrini promised so much in his first season with us. The style of play was excellent. The entire outfield 10 were hounding the opposition and allowing them no time to pick a pass. Unless we're playing Barca, who can keep the ball all day long under pressure, this tactic works as the opposition play a loose pass and we then have possession again. It's intense but you get to keep the ball for longer which is always easier. That game at home v spurs was us perfecting this. We battered them that day. Pellegrini has failed to get City doing this since. Some players seem to do it, others don't and that just leaves acres of space for the opposition. This side has come to its natural end and is in need of freshening up. Fortunately we've still lots of talent but Pep will not put of a group of players that do not play to his required standards or system. He needs all 11 to do what he asks, not 4 or 5 of them.

Hart
Zabaleta
Kompany
Otamendi
Mangala
Delph
Fernandinho
Sterling
Navas
Nasri
Silva
De Bruyne
Aguero
Ihenacho

Will all be safe long term.

I have a feeling Zab or Sagna will leave and judging it on this season I have a feeling it may be Zab.
I can't see any future for Mangala under Pep.
Apart from that I agree. I have a hunch Nasri might play a big part under Pep, probably more central and a little deeper. His ball retention is fantastic and at the same time he tries to be positive with it.

Pep's style of play is not too dissimilar to how we've seen City play sporadically under Pellegrini. The game at home to Tottenham where Navas scored the opener and Negredo that cracker is exactly his sort of style. It's 100% front foot pressure on the opposition. Man for man we are a better side than Leicester. How do we make this count? Pressure them when they have the ball so they can't keep it for long, when we have it use it effectively and don't give it away. Tire Leicester out, drag them around the pitch and make our possession and pressure count. That's what Pep will expect. He'd have dragged Silva off for continually getting caught in possession and then making no effort to recover the ball. He'd have slapped Delph for gifting possession away time and time again from midfield.

Having said that, he probably wouldn't have allowed us to play with such a lack of balance. Zabaleta had so much space at times but no natural width ahead of him because Silva drift inside so often.

Anyway, Pellegrini promised so much in his first season with us. The style of play was excellent. The entire outfield 10 were hounding the opposition and allowing them no time to pick a pass. Unless we're playing Barca, who can keep the ball all day long under pressure, this tactic works as the opposition play a loose pass and we then have possession again. It's intense but you get to keep the ball for longer which is always easier. That game at home v spurs was us perfecting this. We battered them that day. Pellegrini has failed to get City doing this since. Some players seem to do it, others don't and that just leaves acres of space for the opposition. This side has come to its natural end and is in need of freshening up. Fortunately we've still lots of talent but Pep will not put of a group of players that do not play to his required standards or system. He needs all 11 to do what he asks, not 4 or 5 of them.

I think one of the main things people tend to forget about Pellegrini's first season, is that a lot of it, at least up to Christmas, was based around Negredo & also Navas had a big impact compared to the stationary play which Mancini's team had evolved into. Both attacked at pace & both worked their bollocks off when we lost the ball. We had Dzeko in reserve & even he reacted to Negredo, by playing with a bit more passion. Later in the season, a version of Yaya which was able to sprint, helped us over the line. We don't have a Negredo or a Yaya anymore or even a Dzeko & have a half fit Bony, a kid & a cement mixer.

We saw that it doesn't work in the Champions League, abandoned having a 'proper' cf & tried to change the style, but Pellegrini struggles with it.

All bets are off with who Pep keeps imo but I'd be shocked if a one footed Kolarov even gets an interview.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.