Yaya Toure

It's absurd to suggest it's not even close.

Actually, it isn't that mad. I had them pretty close for a long time but my view has crystallised. Dave is aesthetically better to watch but in the really big moments, it is Yaya that has been most crucial. Plenty of people complain about Yaya's personality but it is the fact that he is is a larger than life character and Dave is a nice quiet boy that probably makes Yaya the guy who comes up trumps in those big moments. However, whilst it is something to debate, it's an irrelevance: both have been an absolute joy to watch and we have never, ever, been better than when those two and Sergio and Sami have been on form together.

What is relevant now is how we replace both Silva and Yaya adequately.

@MadchesterCity I would rather have have Fernandinho in that position. IMO, he's been the best player on City this year. Also, why is everyone so down on Clichy? He's put in some good performances. Yes, he's 30. But he's still has great pace, dribbling and can make a decent cross every now and again. And he's HG. I do get that as a big club now you want a world class player in every position and always want a upgrade. However look at Barca. They have class everywhere but it's intertwined with the HG. Same with Bayern. Chemistry is a foundation for class. Also the Mangler >>>>> Otamendi for sure. Not trying to knock your hypothetical idea mate, just my own opinion. I'd replace the top with Sterling-Aguero-De Bruyne. Pogba and Gundogan. Clichy, Ferandinho and Denayer. Kompany and Mangala....still buy the CB prospects though for Vincent. Not as high on Laporte though. Wish they still had Nastasic to be honest....and lastly keep Nasri. Sorry for the rant

Last edited:
Genuine question for those lucky enouh to see bell, summerbee, lee etc play, were any of them on the level of yaya, serg, david, carlitos or even joe or vinnie?

YaYa for me but I don't think his time is up, I would be keen to see YaYa drop into a back 3

YaYa may have lost some of his ability as a dynamic box to box midfielder but his distribution is still world class.
The schematic shows his possible distribution options as a Regista for Manchester City in a Pep team with two wide outlets!

10xvpz7.png

He's not going to complete many passes to that lot from China.

His class, mental strength and versatility has never been in doubt.
But with age, Faltering performers or injuries to other key players and opponents working out tactics to deal with the best team in the league, you needed to tweak tactics and use him more selectively.
Pretty clearly no chance of that happening this season, unfortunately.

Still mad then, yeah?

It's about the best City player of this generation, not the one who had the most "big moments". I'd find it impossible to choose between Vinny, Yaya, Sergio and David.

Hmmm, interesting response.

Yaya is the guy who can do everything - even tackle and head the ball when he has to - did you see him turn into a winger and put in the cross that Sergio hit woodwork from in the Derby? He's literally been central to any success we have had as the player who has been most involved in play over his time at the club, with the big moments it makes him our most influential player. You might find it impossible to choose; I don't: this ain't muffin or barm.

it is not possible to compare. You can contrast, but not compare. Silva has been the creative brains behind so much of what we have achieved. Yaya has been a powerhouse and some of his goals have been not only sensational but crucial. And then there's Kompany, Aguero and Hart. They are not like each other but each has made an invaluable contribution over the last few seasons.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.