"The Boys In Blue" - 44 years ago today

If I remember correctly we had a shit Easter.
Lost at Southampton on Easter Monday after the Stoke defeat on the Saturday. Even after that we still had a decent chance after stuffing the rags at the swamp but got just one point from 2 winnable away games at Coventry and Ipswich.

Lost at Southampton on Easter Monday after the Stoke defeat on the Saturday. Even after that we still had a decent chance after stuffing the rags at the swamp but got just one point from 2 winnable away games at Coventry and Ipswich.
I was at the Coventry game and we had chances to win that game.Always felt that Marsh came too early and through no fault of his,we never looked the same team that ended that season,even though he scored a terrific goal against Derby at home.

This was my first full season, my old man had taken me to 5/6 games towards the end of 70/71 and even as a kid I could feel the rollercoaster effect that season.

I did think though that we'd probably walk it the next year.......that 'next year' took a while to come, even had a false alarm in 76/77.

Strictly speaking it was yesterday (1st April) but on this Saturday 44 years ago, the song was first played at Maine Road before a game against Stoke.

Anyone who saw that game will remember it for other reasons. We were top going into it, a point clear of Leeds & Derby, with Liverpool 4 points behind (it was 2 for a win in those days). Stoke's keeper was the legendary Gordon Banks, who was in his mid-30's at the time.

The Maine Road pitch was in a shocking state and the goal-mouths particularly were like something you'd see on a bad day at Hough End. Rodney Marsh had recently signed for us and started his third game. Ron Healey had replaced the somewhat unreliable Joe Corrigan in nets and there was a crowd of just under 50,000 to see what everyone expected to be a routine City victory against a Stoke side in 15th place.

But Banks was superb in the mud that day and we could only score a single goal, while they got two to effectively end our title challenge, which saw us finish 1 point behind Derby.

yep banks had a worldy that day

It was alright at the time but like most 70s football songs very cringeworthy these days.

It was alright at the time but like most 70s football songs very cringeworthy these days.
People go on about our owners losing sight of what we were.....

This is something that has been with match going fans for 44 years, the majority of our fans will have known this from their first visit to the club.

It pisses all over that Glory, glory crap at the swamp or the Barca thing they play.

Long live the boys in blue.

Strictly speaking it was yesterday (1st April) but on this Saturday 44 years ago, the song was first played at Maine Road before a game against Stoke.

Anyone who saw that game will remember it for other reasons. We were top going into it, a point clear of Leeds & Derby, with Liverpool 4 points behind (it was 2 for a win in those days). Stoke's keeper was the legendary Gordon Banks, who was in his mid-30's at the time.

The Maine Road pitch was in a shocking state and the goal-mouths particularly were like something you'd see on a bad day at Hough End. Rodney Marsh had recently signed for us and started his third game. Ron Healey had replaced the somewhat unreliable Joe Corrigan in nets and there was a crowd of just under 50,000 to see what everyone expected to be a routine City victory against a Stoke side in 15th place.

But Banks was superb in the mud that day and we could only score a single goal, while they got two to effectively end our title challenge, which saw us finish 1 point behind Derby.
A couple of points - Franny Lee talked about this game in my interview in theCity prog the other day. Banks was outstanding and, regardless of what happened with Rodney, a win that day would probably have set us up for the title. A lot happened after this game with the other teams, and on our final day I think I'm right in saying we were top but knew that as 2 of the others were to play each other yet (plus other possible results) we couldn't win the League.

Other point - The a Boys In Blue recording, I.e. The team in the studio recording the song in March 1972, will be shown at the film show I'm hosting in June. Tickets are selling well o get them while you can - http://thedancehouse.co.uk/events/2016/46-the-boys-in-blue

Other gems to be shown including the Kippax chanting, filmed from within the old stand; Maine Rd's opening game 1923; colour film if Maine Rd in 1930s; the only known colour film if City with the ECWC in 1970; homecoming parades from 1934, 1969 (with fan interviews), and 1976 - with fans singing You'll Never Walk Alone at two if these! And so much more. There's even a Frank Sidebottom Medley!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.