Clown car defending

excellent post John. I can't wait to start next season. I bet mancini is watching from afar and thinking wtf.

Bill. It is obvious that you are on a downer with Pellers. But if you genuinely believe pep will rock up and work magic with these same players, then you have a lot more faith than I have. Without several fresh faces in the defence, I honestly believe we will not be much better off, even with the best manager in the world. Silk purse & sows ears spring to mind.

It is utterly baffling. Aside from sides at the bottom of the league like Villa I have not seen worse defending in a lot of games this season and I don't care what statistics say we are awful. Is the problem we are buying defenders from abroad in leagues where if they play for the top teams they are rarely put under pressure for more than two or three games a season?Is it the coaching? If we want a squad to compete in the champions league....though the way we are going we may not be in it next season....and the premier league,we may need to buy two no nonsense premier league centre halves and your more ''Accomplished ones for Europe and rotate.

Whatever the reason something has to change,ten losses and counting is appalling and no team ever won a title with such shit defending.

Bill. It is obvious that you are on a downer with Pellers. But if you genuinely believe pep will rock up and work magic with these same players, then you have a lot more faith than I have. Without several fresh faces in the defence, I honestly believe we will not be much better off, even with the best manager in the world. Silk purse & sows ears spring to mind.

I agree. pep could be a disaster, but it's a could not an is. This guy is a total most certainly is.

There is likely to be one or two fresh faces in defence. A bit of organisation would help as well. Ultimately though defending isn't just about the quality of the 4 defenders, it's about the whole team working together in a sound system as can be seen from Leicester and Spurs this season. If the opposition midfield have all day to pick passes to their forwards, it puts the defence under much more pressure.

Elegant footballer though he may well be, I'm not overly enthused by the news that our primary defensive transfer target is John Stones, a player whose error rate (probably brought about by too much faith in his own ability) is alarmingly high. Regardless though, we can't possibly defend worse next season can we?!
Don't you believe it!
It could actually get worse till Pep gets a grip of the Premier League.
Any new defensive players that are brought in from overseas will take a season to adjust to the Premier League. They just won't get the time on the ball that they're used to if they come from abroad.
Then there are tactics.
It stands to reason that when playing against a team of whippets you adopt a deeper defensive line - not stubborn Pellers of course - but I'm not sure Pep won't try the same trick (which is doomed to failure BTW)...
When your fullback is forward the CD has to cover the fullback but people have to get back and fill in behind him. We have been so slow at this this season it is untrue...
Sweeping keepers in the Premier League is another brain fart that won't work either. They will rapidly find that without team movement there are no passing options so they have to hoof it long...
I'm expecting a disaster to start with but I expect it will improve...

In reality, Peps best option is to start with a defensively tight formation and when proved to be solid to gradually expand on it. Let's see how good Pep actually is - if he adopts this option I admit I will be impressed.

Last edited:
In reality, Peps best option is to start with a defensively tight formation and when proved to be solid to gradually expand on it. Let's see how good Pep actually is - if he adopts this option I admit I will be impressed.[/QUOTE]

Simple really, not Rocket Science !

We,ve gone from having the best defence in 3 years to a utter shambles under pelle,how many times including yesterday have our CH,s covering the LB/RB positions
because they were so far out off position.(and how nonchalant was koralov,jogging back)& not for the first time this has happened..
I don,t care if we bought 2 world class CH i still think we would still be a shambles under pelle formation..as one poster said a few weeks ago.
pelle has destroyed everything what we were in 3years as a solid/feared defensive unit who hardly conceded,to fking jokers...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.