Jesus Navas

Look, I've seen Navas have numerous opportunities to score. To say otherwise is ridiculous. The amount of times he was in a position to score and fluff it or try to pass instead is there for all to see. You can't say otherwise.

When the ball is on the other side of the pitch a winger should be in the box making another striker more often than not. To suggest a winger should only ever get to the byline and cross and that's all is not true to the position. It's oversimplification to the extreme. To put it another way, should a left back or right back only ever stay on the touchline or shift across into the middle to help out when the attacking team are on the opposite flank.

There are no wingers, inverted or otherwise that have played regularly at a top club who don't score. In fact several wingers were so competent in front of goal they are used as back up strikers or change position altogether.

Sure there is. Navas. I contend that MP has played to his strengths. I think that was a mistake, but I wouldn't have played 442 either. All I am saying is Navas did what he was asked to do. If he wasn't would MP have played him more than any other player in the squad?

Look, I've seen Silva have numerous opportunities to score. To say otherwise is ridiculous. The amount of times he was in a position to score and fluff it or try to pass instead is there for all to see. You can't say otherwise.

See what I did there?

Navas doesn't have the instinct/confidence to score goals. Whether any of that can be coached back into him, we'll have to see, but the same certainly goes for Sterling and to another extent for Silva.

He's no Robben and he's never going to get 20 goals a season, but that doesn't mean he can't be a very useful squad player

See what I did there?

Navas doesn't have the instinct/confidence to score goals. Whether any of that can be coached back into him, we'll have to see, but the same certainly goes for Sterling and to another extent for Silva.

He's no Robben and he's never going to get 20 goals a season, but that doesn't mean he can't be a very useful squad player

No I don't see what you did there at all. Silva averages 6-7 goals a season and is regularly top of the assists chart. Not only that he dictates play more often than not. None of which you can say about Navas.

Sure there is. Navas. I contend that MP has played to his strengths. I think that was a mistake, but I wouldn't have played 442 either. All I am saying is Navas did what he was asked to do. If he wasn't would MP have played him more than any other player in the squad?

Name one, one other than Navas. All I'm asking.

No I don't see what you did there at all. Silva averages 6-7 goals a season and is regularly top of the assists chart. Not only that he dictates play more often than not. None of which you can say about Navas.

And plays in a completely different position, yet still misses chances or passes when he should shoot.

In terms of Navas' assists, he's out on the wing, so has to cross it. The man in the middle is usually only Aguero. Balls in the air rarely make it to him for obvious reasons, but Aguero doesn't attack the near post. Navas often frustrates me, but when faced with a fullback and two centre halves before you can get to the diminutive forward, what is he supposed to do?

And plays in a completely different position, yet still misses chances or passes when he should shoot.

In terms of Navas' assists, he's out on the wing, so has to cross it. The man in the middle is usually only Aguero. Balls in the air rarely make it to him for obvious reasons, but Aguero doesn't attack the near post. Navas often frustrates me, but when faced with a fullback and two centre halves before you can get to the diminutive forward, what is he supposed to do?

I can forgive him missing chances and not always shooting when he is supposed to if he at least scored a few.

You and I both know what the reaction on this board would be if we were interested in a winger with Navas stats but who clearly put a shift in. To say it's purely Pelligrinis tactics ignores the fact he averages 3 goals a season in his career.

You have still yet to answer about any winger or attacking left or right sided player in a top team that doesn't score. It just doesn't happen. Go through the premier league.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.