Everton v City post match

Fear another long day at the office when Spurs come to town....oh goody.

Will Pep be brave enough to drop Bravo, who without doubt is a week link and it is likely the players will think this as well. The defence seemed to play better with Willy in goal against West Ham. I was in favour of Hart being replaced but I wrongly assumed he would be replaced by someone better. It could be that Bravo is just out of form and will eventually come good but in his present form it would be kinder to take him out of the firing line. Good opportunity missed after the West Ham game when Pep could have said he was keeping a winning team for Everton.

No fight , no passion and when we get beat i don't think it really hurts this squad of players , we played with no pride in the shirt in that 2nd half they collectively downed tools . Used to hate Wengers's teams , they used to play pretty football but you knew if you got amongst them you would beat them , we are the new Arsenal technically very good and will beat the lower teams with ease but when the top 8 teams come calling we just collapse
Unless Pep grasps the basics of premeirship football , i.e learning to defend for our lives then i don't see this working he is a very clever coach and really hope he works this out , but i have a feeling this is going to get a lot worse this season before we see any progression

What worries me the most is we don't seem to ever learn from our mistakes. It's OK saying it's new systems/way of playing,
but the mistakes we are making are the same ones over and over again.
I will say, we seem to be playing with little self belief and with our heads down. Every time we have options we
choose the wrong one, mainly because no one can see the bigger picture, just the grass beneath their feet.

No, no need to reframe or rephase it. What are the promising aspects of the CL so far? Beating Monchengladbach 4-0 at home? Or just the Barca win? (Which was brilliant as is the one positive I can think of). I think it's strange to consider a start to a season as a positive when it all falls away after that.

We've had good spells with plenty of managers, and have had great one-off wins with plenty of managers, but I just find it hard to see anything from this season that could really be enough to make you see evidence of this going somehwhere.

And it's not like he's got another managers squad completely. He's been influencing signings for a year at least. Conte hasn't, and he hasn't needed such a big time to transition a team who finished TENTH last season.
The opening period showed his system, the original formation and tactics, can work in the PL and very well at that. And we actually played well even in the Barca loss. The draws were a mixed bag but largely due to the bedding in that was still taking place. Since then we've been up and down, which is not proof of systemic failure. I suppose in contrast to your view, I think its strange to consider a stop-start mid-season period (after half a season in charge) as proof there is no hope for a manager.

I also find it difficult to see anything in this season that would make someone so confident that we have no where to go. I could if we were regularly being played off the park or consistently losing matches. But we are not.

And where has this influencing signings for a year come from? Also, how do you know he got every one of his targets in the summer? And you genuinely believed he could come in, with one transfer window, and have us dominating the league after we all saw how our team was stagnating in many regards over the past two years?

Regarding Conte's work, I agree that he has done very well but I am not sure how you come to the conclusions you have there. Chelsea drastically underperformed last year with a fairly strong squad—in no small part to mismanagement. The narrative that he has come in and overachieved is just a media story designed to play to the Chelsea masses and romantic neutrals (as well as disparage Pep's performance, which is everyone's favourite exercise these days). He also has a much easier schedule, less pressure because of that previous underachievement, and, in my mind, a somewhat complimentary FA (where as I do not think we have received the same assistance in certain situations).

Beyond all that, though, I just think we gain more by supporting him and the team through what was always going to be a difficult transitional period, rather than pulling out the pitchforks.

Last edited:
and people wonder why the atmosphere at home games is shit?

it's full of people like in this thread sitting on their hands, begging, waiting and praying that something goes wrong, particularly something their know-nothing forum babble pointed out, so that they can spout off to everyone "look, I'm right, it happened, see?"

people are too desperate to be right and think that social media gives them credence and status because its written rather than down the pub. They'd rather be negative, be contrary and spout shit and go to the game and hope to be right, and bask in that rather than support the team.
This season all depends on what mandate Pep has had from the top. As a team we have been on the decline for a few years now with an ageing squad. The players at the back who were bought for huge sums have proved a total disaster so we now need to buy a whole defence as nobody appears to be willing to give the kids a chance. If Pep has been told to introduce a whole new way of playing and if we win nothing and miss out on the champion's league it is ok then fair enough. If not then he has to seriously become ruthless and change our style to suit the premier league as we have too soft a centre at the moment. The keeper, although not as bad as some make out, appears to have lost the confidence of himself and the players and needs to come out of the firing line. Teams are lining up to shoot and challenge him knowing they have a 90% chance of success.

I have no idea why new fullbacks were not bought or gradually introduced from the reserves as it was obvious they were on the decline. We did try to rectify the centre halves but they have all been a disaster with only Stones having youth on his side but he is crying out for a rock and experience to play alongside to coax him through games and we don't have it.

The midfield is too much of the same with no real grafters or hard men except Fern and up front we lack another top forward. Worryingly Aguero is looking a shadow of his old self too.

Off the field we seem to be making cock up's too and I think the owner or chairman needs to get the whole club together and bang a few heads and have a clear the air meeting and we go from there.
Whatever the mandate was, he's a coach, he's supposed to get the best out of the players, and he hasn't improved anyone except Kolarov... who has still been awful most of the time! Khaldoon hasn't told anyone to adapt a specific style of play, if anything he has told the DOF and manager that we want to create an identity, a winning, succesful identity. There is no reason he should accept a new style that doesn't show any signs of it being an improvement.

Haha anyone calling for guardiola to go needs to absolutely fuck off and support another team
Why, because some people see now what you'll see in 2 4 or 6 months, guys out of his comfort zone & looks beaten & btw I'll never support anyone but Manchester City not Guardiola fc

Good points about today:
I got so pissed last night that I didn’t wake till noon, and it was too late to travel to Goodison.

Bad points about today:
Everything else.

SWALES OUT!
Up the Blues!

So you know more about football that Soriano and Txiki and the rest of the management team who have wanted Pep for years?

No.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.