Applauding opposition goals at Home

Falcao's goal was absolutely brilliant, as I resentfully muttered to my son at the time. Couldn't bring myself to applaud it though, as I was too disappointed at going behind again. I've applauded bits of skill from opposition players before, but not many goals unless they were consolations when we were comfortably winning. I'm petty like that.

I remember my first time on the Kippax with my big brother, I had previously only attended with my Dad and sat in Platt Ln, North or Maine Stands. The opposition scored and I started to clap... I can still see the faces of my brother and his mates staring in disbelief and I still can't bring myself to do it now 40 years later

I applauded the dunney monster when he scored against us. I can appreciate a good goal against us but very rarely would I celebrate it.

In more recent times back in 2013 I remember Peps Bayern Munich ripping us to shreds with fantastic attacking football and in the second half when Robben and Schwiensteiger were subbed both players got applauded off the pitch by the City fans. They both turned to their own fans and clapped back then looked up astonished at our fans clapping them off and clapped back.

Last edited:
Could never applaud a United goal, but I think I clapped that Norwich player that ran through everybody to score in Kiddo's last match in charge, a meaningless last game of the season.

Ronaldinho was given a standing ovation by the Real Madrid fans when Barca beat them 3-0 back in 2005. I think sometimes you just have to admire what's in front of you, regardless of who's doing it or who they're playing for. My initial reaction to the Falcao goal was "FFS" but quickly you realise what you've just seen and you have to enjoy/admire it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.