Claudio Bravo - 2016/2017 performances (continued)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted this in the It's Quiet thread but I think it belongs here better. My thoughts on Bravo:

I don't think he was [a mistake]. He was a perfectly good shot stopper this time last year, one of the best in the world in fact, both in club competition and international games. Lots of people in England- thanks in no small part to our media, who really don't know any better than we do- are under the impression that Bravo has always been this way; great passer but a poor shot-stopper, and that just didn't matter because he played for Barcelona and Pep should've known better than to bring him in. But truthfully the Claudio Bravo of the lats five years was probably better than every keeper currently in the league bar De Gea. His confidence was hit by a shaky start to life in a new country, perhaps influenced by the worry over his newborn daughter, and his shot-stopping ability went to absolute shit. There's no way Pep could've seen that coming, surely?
Recently, though, Caballero has been quietly getting on with it amidst all this and is completely ignored by the media, which I suspect is just the way he likes it. His story is a very admirable one of redemption in the face of ridiculous amounts of hardship, both professional and personal, and I still believe that Bravo could undergo the same transformation if he gets a move on.

Long story short: I still think dropping Hart was the right call and that Bravo must shoulder most of the blame for our goalkeeping problems.

I posted this in the It's Quiet thread but I think it belongs here better. My thoughts on Bravo:

I don't think he was [a mistake]. He was a perfectly good shot stopper this time last year, one of the best in the world in fact, both in club competition and international games. Lots of people in England- thanks in no small part to our media, who really don't know any better than we do- are under the impression that Bravo has always been this way; great passer but a poor shot-stopper, and that just didn't matter because he played for Barcelona and Pep should've known better than to bring him in. But truthfully the Claudio Bravo of the lats five years was probably better than every keeper currently in the league bar De Gea. His confidence was hit by a shaky start to life in a new country, perhaps influenced by the worry over his newborn daughter, and his shot-stopping ability went to absolute shit. There's no way Pep could've seen that coming, surely?
Recently, though, Caballero has been quietly getting on with it amidst all this and is completely ignored by the media, which I suspect is just the way he likes it. His story is a very admirable one of redemption in the face of ridiculous amounts of hardship, both professional and personal, and I still believe that Bravo could undergo the same transformation if he gets a move on.

Long story short: I still think dropping Hart was the right call and that Bravo must shoulder most of the blame for our goalkeeping problems.

Good post, well articulated.

course it was lol. we'd be about 10 points better off with Hart in net. or willy for that matter.

course it was lol. we'd be about 10 points better off with Hart in net. or willy for that matter.
If you read my post, the point is that while that may be true, there's no way in hell that Pep or anyone could have predicted this, therefore Pep should shoulder no blame.

Hart's form has been drifting for both club and country over the last three years, but for some reason, he was always immune from criticism.

Bravo was Man of the Match in last summer's Copa America Final, but almost from his first game, there's been a section of the media, (and also our fanbase), who just don't want him to succeed.

Not often one person who professes to watch so much football is so wrong.

Hart is having a season to forget. Guessing you missed the England game today...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.