City v Liverpool - Post Match Thread

Good post.

We had a few scares early on but in the main I think we dealt with a very potent LFC attack very well whilst at the same time posing a bigger threat ourselves which saw us lead 1-0.

People saying Pep has got to learn are wide of the mark. Pep knows, it's about getting the right balance and in my opinion he did that on Saturday which resulted in us winning 5-0.

Agreed. We actually put the ball in the net seven times on Saturday, plus three or four other really good chances. The discussion about a shambles of a defence should be about theirs, not ours. The two offside calls were both correct, but they were both marginal, split second offences, and Mignolet made some very good saves.

As the song goes, those lucky bastards, it should have been ten.

I like to avoid posting on a post-match thread before Monday so that I don't post ludicrously euphoric conclusions after 5-0 wins or near suicidal rants after defeats! Here goes.

Okay, Liverpool edged the first 30 minutes in terms of possession, and they did carry some attacking threat. A check on the stats, though, shows that they did not have a single shot until after the half hour mark and this confirms that they looked menacing without actually creating a single clear (or unclear) cut chance. This I noticed when I watched their opening game at Watford. When they did create a shooting chance Ederson saved well from Salah but the shot was hardly that of a natural, ruthless finisher - it was certainly not what we would have expected from Kun or Gabriel. This again was what we had seen against Watford. The "Fab Three" are not to be bracketed with the MSN three Barcelona used to field and it is simple media hype to tell us they are.

City's front 5/6 are much more frightening and, before the half hour was up had already begun to exploit the space between their CBs. KdB was already ensuring their young fullback would have a miserable afternoon. Again, the pre-match talk was all about how Liverpool would play on Otamendi and win by exploiting his poor positional play and lack of pace. He did look vulnerable, but City had taken the lead already as KdB began to show that our frailty was as nothing compared to that of a Liverpool back four given no protection from a midfield which simply could not cope with our movement or running.

So, I think City changed the game as much as the sending off by the ruthless exploitation of Liverpool's perennial weaknesses. We received some help from Jurgen Klopp whose substitutions took some understanding. He also seemed rather confused about many of the aspects of the game and even about the week ahead for his team. It was, however, a good day for us. We look a much better team than last season and Guardiola's decision to play two strikers paid off handsomely.

Agreed. We actually put the ball in the net seven times on Saturday, plus three or four other really good chances. The discussion about a shambles of a defence should be about theirs, not ours. The two offside calls were both correct, but they were both marginal, split second offences, and Mignolet made some very good saves.

As the song goes, those lucky bastards, it should have been ten.

Agreed. In fact on the highlights package on this thread you can hear Jim Beglin say the game could have been over by now after Stones' attempt from a corner. (Can't remembering exact words now)That was around 34 minute mark.
They were doing their usual manic pressing up to about 20 when there was a sudden shift in balance when De Bruyne got on the ball and ran at them. He turned them around and caused them lots of positional doubts.
Don't know if it was pep readjustment or KDB himself finding space or the team managing to feed him 2 or 3 good balls to feet finally. Either way you could sense we had broken out of their press by the time we were 1 up.

We can only finish second as the title is already in the cabinet at the old toilet. Bug tests start now 2 games a week with some difficult away games Watford, Chelsea next 2 away in league.
Watford will be more difficult than Chelsea if you ask me.

what was the song being sung at the victims after they were booing Ederson? Couldn't quite catch all the words as they drifted down to the family stand (also deaf old git)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.