Mark Lillis Interview

Q4: Who made the most 'first' impressions on you at Maine Road after re-joining ?

I think player wise Neil McNab had so much skill and I ended up being his roommate on overnight trips to away games he helped me settle in with the likes of Paul Power big Mick McCarthy and Sammy mac, also our young u18s were coming through, they won the youth cup that year I remember going to the 1st leg at main road and Tony Book asking me to say a few words to the team before the game as I was a local lad I remember saying just remember lads We never GIVE IN GOOD LUCK. A lot of that team went on to have great careers looking back and I still do, having time for young players keeps me young as well haha.
Only a 1986 Youth team pedantic like me could point out the 2nd leg was at Maine Road ;)

I went to the Mark Lillis soccer school for 5 days in 84/85 I think it was. One of the teachers at school got me on it. Brilliant 5 days Mark attended every day (sat and had his dinner with us too). I talked him to death about City but he loved it. A proper blue he is. Each of the days another player attended and one day it was Eric Nixon who arranged a penalty shoot out at the end of the day. I won the shootout including Mark and Andy May. Big Eric chased me for ages because I scored 5/5 and the City lads ripped him to bits that some spotty faced 15yr old sent him the wrong way 5 times! Happy days....oh by the way I will be signing autographs outside the king power tomorrow ;-)

I used to work at a builders merchant that Marks brother shopped at , he was a great fella too. A top blue and he f##kin hated Manu with a passion.

I used to work at a builders merchant that Marks brother shopped at , he was a great fella too. A top blue and he f##kin hated Manu with a passion.
I don’t know why but the first part of your post made me piss myself

Great interview that. We must have been a fucking laughing stock around football's corridors of power in those days.

Great interview, always great to see fans make it to the first team, yes he had limitations but he never lacked effort and he was 10 times the player than that tosser Trevor Christie and between him and Gordon Davies got us to Wembley, a journey we wouldn’t make for another 13 years. Not only that we were relegated the season he left, we were ran like a chip shop back then - oh and add to that family silver list Paul Simpson, Earl Barrett, Neil Lennon, Paul Warhurst, Ashley Ward, all better than those that we replaced them with

Great interview, always great to see fans make it to the first team, yes he had limitations but he never lacked effort and he was 10 times the player than that tosser Trevor Christie and between him and Gordon Davies got us to Wembley, a journey we wouldn’t make for another 13 years. Not only that we were relegated the season he left, we were ran like a chip shop back then - oh and add to that family silver list Paul Simpson, Earl Barrett, Neil Lennon, Paul Warhurst, Ashley Ward, all better than those that we replaced them with

I knew Mark Lillis - he was in the year above me. Good player we shouldn't have let go; great tryer; top blue!
Thanks for reminding me about all those other lads we let go - when you think about how classy they all were - if only Billy McNeil et al had a clue - we could have been the blue print for Pep's Barcalona.
Anyway, better late than never - at least we've got that now!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.