Club statement regarding Barry Bennell's conviction

As far as I can see he was never an employee. He applied for a job but some people at City, primarily Steve Fleet, weren't happy about him & had heard things so he wasn't taken on. But he seems to have had close connections to the club.

He doesn't appear to have been an employee of the club but he may have been paid some expenses. No doubt City's costly inquiry will reveal more about his relationship with the club.

The suggestions seem to be that some people at the club were taken in by the guy; unlike Steve Fleet, who seems to think that Ken Barnes, for instance, was simply naive.

The big question mark against City, as far as I can see, surrounds when they cut ties with Bennell: what prompted that and should they have done something more at that point?

I trust that Bennell will never see the outside of a prison again.

That's spooky.

I didn't give a fuck about the Boys Brigade but my mate who went told him I was a good footballer and he invited me to play.

I scored a couple on my debut on Wilbraham school field and then he took us all to Sharston Baths.

He was grabbing kids in the pool but I knew it was weird and kicked the bastard well away.

I think these predators know who to prey on.

I knew him very well over many years and in fact he signed my passport back in the day. Lads I know to this day were abused by him. He was known for it and used to open cuddle kids and touch even in front of others. The fact he was charasmatic and a cooper made him untouchable at the time.

He was facing a further 5 years in 2014 and topped himself in staleybridge. I did a google search on him today and it didn’t take long to show links to Cyril Smith and cover ups.

Thankfully I hope and think it wouldn’t happen today. Kids and parents are too aware.

Hopefully this Bennell suffers for what he has done.

Aside from the lifelong damage he will have done to the poor kids, like I say he tarnishes thousands of decent coaches giving up free time up and down the country.

Perverted evil man.

I played against John Sheridan when I was 12 in a school game. Makes me wonder if Bennell was watching the game. Some of the stories in this article make gruesome reading.

Maybe but there were lots of lads who were keen to play for Whitehall / White-star because of the tie in with City. He wouldn’t need to scout too hard. The players and heir families weren’t aware Bennell was a nonce and he wouldn’t have needed to try very hard to sign them up.

Yes - thankfully killed himself when he was facing up to yet more charges.
And if I remember rightly he was a senior policeman and a highly respected person in the area at the time.
And the annoying thing was everyone knew but no one did anything.
And this is what these type of people do,gain everyone's respect and then abuse the young and when anyone speaks out its the same old story " he wouldn't do that" it's only kids making it up"
Hopefully we now live in more enlightened times and have learned from past mistakes

And if I remember rightly he was a senior policeman and a highly respected person in the area at the time.
And the annoying thing was everyone knew but no one did anything.
And this is what these type of people do,gain everyone's respect and then abuse the young and when anyone speaks out its the same old story " he wouldn't do that" it's only kids making it up"
Hopefully we now live in more enlightened times and have learned from past mistakes
That was a problem with this country in those days, too much deference shown to people in positions of authority, it's how not just paedophiles but bent coppers and corrupt politicians got away with so much.

Not sure I understand that comment. Care to expand?

From my limited reading on the subject. It's common for predators to pick on a certain character. An isolated kid who's unlikely to 'tell' and even if they do tell, it's unlikely to be believed. A predator will use blackmail/threats against a family member or likely in this case the likely hood of progression in football.
It's thought that predators know their prey as disgusting as it sounds. It's not always the meek or lonely kid, it's often the troubled kid, a kid from a difficult background, a predator will build up on the outside what looks like a perfectly healthy & supportive relationship, something a kid is often missing. The then take advantage of that.

This is a disgusting character who's obviously used boys dreams of being a footballer to facilitate his sickness.

As many have said, a nonce back then was the weird guy wearing a flasher Mac, suspecting people in positions of trust or power was unlikely, confronting/accusing them was never done.

I suspect like the BBC & Saville, this will be the tip of the iceberg. It's frankly disgusting.

I just watched Bennell being interviewed as he was led away to serve a sentence in the states for abuse. When he was asked if he had anything to say to the child he abused he laughed and sneered, " What child? He was 14 and as big as me" What a fucking vile monster he is! I hope he suffers every single day and never sees the world outside a prison again.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.