The National Anthem

I'm all for a bit of national pride personally. I dont support the governance and i am ambivalent towards the monarchy. However i do enjoy the quality of life this country provides. If the song representing the country i lived in got to me that much i'd fuck off somewhere i did like. I must not be an arm folding, screwed up faced, miserable **** like some. I do however respect their right to be like that though...so does the country they feel so passionate against :)

I'm all for a bit of national pride personally. I dont support the governance and i am ambivalent towards the monarchy. However i do enjoy the quality of life this country provides. If the song representing the country i lived in got to me that much i'd fuck off somewhere i did like. I must not be an arm folding, screwed up faced, miserable **** like some. I do however respect their right to be like that though...so does the country they feel so passionate against :)

Tbf no one who has said the anthem is shite and irrelevent has said anything slagging England or the UK off though.

I love this Island we live and am proud to be from here, however god save the queen means fuck all to me, it doesn't reflect the UK or stir pride, and the fact no one can recite more than 4 lines says what unispiring crap it is.

A bit of Jerusalem, land of hope and glory or even rule britania (even if dated) is more inspiring.

Last edited:
Our anthem is a bit shite. As in the song.

It's ridiculously short compared to others and lacks any life. Even ignoring what they mean, the lyrics suck too.

Tbf no one who has said the anthem is shite and irrelevent has said anything slagging England or the UK off though.

I love this Island we live and am proud to be from here, however god save the queen means fuck all to me, it doesn't reflect the UK or stir pride, and the fact no one can recite more than 4 lines says what unispiring crap it is.

A bit of Jerusalem, land of hope and glory or even rule britania (even if dated) is more inspiring.

It's a fair cop :)
Perhaps that bloke pissingdownzy or whatever he is called could make it a bit more urban and uplifting

Because the anthem is not about Britain but an individual born into wealth who doesn't give a shit about the peasants who are declaring their love for her. England fans singing it every 3 minutes make me cringe. It's sheep we're up against

I don’t think most people take the lyrics quite as literally as you, or really invest anything in them. Jerusalem would be my own choice, but unless you pick a tune written some time after the 1960’s then nationalist, royalist or imperial sentiment are fairly likely. You’re a brave man if you stand there and boo though!

You’re a brave man if you stand there and boo though!

Exactly. Whilst you might explain your reasoning on here don't expect all in your vicinity when booing to know its God and royalty you disagree with. Most will assume you are booing team or country. Good luck and hope you don't miss too many games after.

Exactly. Whilst you might explain your reasoning on here don't expect all in your vicinity when booing to know its God and royalty you disagree with. Most will assume you are booing team or country. Good luck and hope you don't miss too many games after.
think he's in the USA boss...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.