Jadon Sancho

Ironic as a backup to Sane on LW was missing from the squad this season, probably would of gotten quite a bit of game time.

[Citation Needed]

Academy players in Matchday squads of European Champions in the Champions League Final.

Real Madrid 2017 - 4 - Carvajal, Casilla, Nacho, Morata
Real Madrid 2016 - 5 - Carvajal, Jesé, Lucas Vazquez, Casilla, Nacho
Barcelona 2015 - 9 - Pique, Alba, Busquets, Iniesta, Messi, Xavi, Bartra, Rafinha, Pedro.
Real Madrid 2014 - 4 - Casillas, Carvajal, Morata, Arbeloa.
Bayern 2013 - 4 -Lahm, Kroos, Alaba, Schweinsteiger.
Chelsea 2012 - 1 - Bertrand (Terry suspended).
Barca 2011 - 10 -Valdes, Puyol, Pique, Busquets, Iniesta, Xavi, Messi, Pedro, Thiago, Bojan.
Inter 2010 - 0
Barca 2009 - 10 - Valdes, Puyol, Pique, Busquets, Iniesta, Xavi, Messi, Muniesa, Bojan, Pedro.
United 2008 - 4 -Scholes, Brown, Fletcher, Giggs.
Milan 2007 - 3 -Maldini, Oddo, Brocchi.
Barcelona 2006 - 5 - Valdes, Puyol, Jorquera, Xavi, Iniesta.
Liverpool 2005 - 2 - Carragher, Gerrard.
Porto 2004 - 3 - Baía, Costa, Carvalho.
Milan 2003 - 3 - Maldini, Brocchi, Costacurta.
Real Madrid 2002 - 4 - Raúl, Pavon, Casillas, Guti

So that's starting or on the bench for the most important game of the season.

Quite the opposite of being a rarity, pretty much every European champion of recent times has had a few academy players. We're miles away from being at an average level of youth involvement, let alone being "way ahead".
excellent statistics except that was not the statement, and Real and Barca both run b teams in the league giving them a Hugh advantage in terms of youth numbers and experience

excellent statistics except that was not the statement,

The statement was that academy players were not mainstays of the team. That statement was wrong. Showing how many youth players a manager picks to be in the 18 for the most important game of the season is a good way of filtering out which youth players are actually considered proper playing members of the squad and not just being given out appearances for the sake of it.

I was going to add how many appearances those academy players had accumulated, but after seeing Real had given 200 to their academy players involved last season, it was just too depressing to see how far away we are.

As for mainstays you only need to look at the names involved to see they all have mainstay academy players.

and Real and Barca both run b teams in the league giving them a Hugh advantage in terms of youth numbers and experience

Now that has gotten nothing to do with it. We can loan players to clubs we literally own, allowing control of absolutely everything and giving us as much an advantage as them.

Several of Real's players have been on loan and come back, we can do that, but fail.

Last edited:
Now that has gotten nothing to do with it. We can loan players to clubs we literally own, allowing control of absolutely everything and giving us as much an advantage as them.

Several of Real's players have been on loan and come back, we can do that, but fail.

I don't know that I agree. If Real wants one of their B team players to practice with the A squad, they can do it without any problems because they share space. If City wants to do the same with a player loaned out to a team in another country, it is pretty much hands off. Maybe not a huge difference when considering everything, but it is still a difference.

[Citation Needed]

Academy players in Matchday squads of European Champions in the Champions League Final.

Real Madrid 2017 - 4 - Carvajal, Casilla, Nacho, Morata
Real Madrid 2016 - 5 - Carvajal, Jesé, Lucas Vazquez, Casilla, Nacho
Barcelona 2015 - 9 - Pique, Alba, Busquets, Iniesta, Messi, Xavi, Bartra, Rafinha, Pedro.
Real Madrid 2014 - 4 - Casillas, Carvajal, Morata, Arbeloa.
Bayern 2013 - 4 -Lahm, Kroos, Alaba, Schweinsteiger.
Chelsea 2012 - 1 - Bertrand (Terry suspended).
Barca 2011 - 10 -Valdes, Puyol, Pique, Busquets, Iniesta, Xavi, Messi, Pedro, Thiago, Bojan.
Inter 2010 - 0
Barca 2009 - 10 - Valdes, Puyol, Pique, Busquets, Iniesta, Xavi, Messi, Muniesa, Bojan, Pedro.
United 2008 - 4 -Scholes, Brown, Fletcher, Giggs.
Milan 2007 - 3 -Maldini, Oddo, Brocchi.
Barcelona 2006 - 5 - Valdes, Puyol, Jorquera, Xavi, Iniesta.
Liverpool 2005 - 2 - Carragher, Gerrard.
Porto 2004 - 3 - Baía, Costa, Carvalho.
Milan 2003 - 3 - Maldini, Brocchi, Costacurta.
Real Madrid 2002 - 4 - Raúl, Pavon, Casillas, Guti

So that's starting or on the bench for the most important game of the season.

Quite the opposite of being a rarity, pretty much every European champion of recent times has had a few academy players. We're miles away from being at an average level of youth involvement, let alone being "way ahead".
How many of them were 17?

How many of them were 17?

If you want anybody with 17.

2pr94957.jpg

David Alaba played 90 minutes in the final of 16 against Florence in 2010 and some minutes in the semi final against Lyon. Else I guess it is a real rarity to see them so young really playing for a top club at this stage. Maybe as sub appearance when everything is done.

What has that got to do with my post or the post I'm replying to which simply said that academy products are a rarity at the top clubs in Europe?
I’m saying our club some time before denigrating the amount of academy products coming through.

I’m saying our club some time before denigrating the amount of academy products coming through.

I simply demonstrated a fact - we are miles behind the other top clubs in Europe when it comes to youth involvement in the squad. That's not denigrating, it's a simply a fact, stated in reply to a comment that "we miles ahead of most clubs".

Who knows how big a role that has played in leading to situations like Sancho, Ty Cambell, Bobby Duncan etc. and how many more times it will happen? But I didn't comment on that.

You call me delusional but i am pretty sure our youth can count that 11 players will play and city have hundreds, and i can see you have followed the rag media propaganda that city`s youth is failing because we have prioritized winning , good for you because the truth is the opposite.
City have spent 100`s of millions on the best youth facilities the best youth coaching the best youth players with the aim to improve the players when they get to an age where they are capable of playing league football they go on loan with a view to proving they are good enough to play for us.
When Rodwell won the league with us what do you think it meant to him,? his only major trophy to prove to his grand kids he was once a top player and it will mean the same to Foden,
As for redeeming our reputation , we have a major competitor in Chelsea who nave similar style, but look at Englands youth over the summer very successful and most players out of these 2 academies as it was with Ajax and Holland players talk and they want to come to city we have nothing to redeem we are the best place for kids who want to get to the top

'City have spent 100`s of millions on the best youth facilities the best youth coaching the best youth players with the aim to improve the players when they get to an age where they are capable of playing league football they go on loan with a view to proving they are good enough to play for us.'

Well that's a bargain then isn't it ?

A few hundred million on the academy & we've had less appearences from the lot of them put together, than we got from Pablo Zabaleta, who cost 5.

But we are almost competing with Chelsea, who also have hardly any youth players ever get in their team regularly, so that's ok.

And what the fuck has Jack Rodwell gotto do with anything ?

Here's an idea: close the academy & spend the money on buying the best kids from other people's academies & loan them out.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.