Is Rodri better than Yaya ?

And Rodri is not?

Yaya would go missing plenty. He was a more exciting player. But also more frustrating. And when he went missing we really really suffered.

I honestly still can't decide myself, I keep bouncing between them. Yaya has the advantage of success not being taken for granted, that seems to be the bar of expectation for Rodri.
I said in a earlier post Rodri is becoming our BEST EVER player.

There is no better player in world football.

But what that has to do with what Yaya did ?

Last edited:
I think he is.

But it's the same as any debate over current and future players being better than the 2011 fa cup team and the 11-12 team. Even if kdb is better than silva, rodri better than yaya, haaland better than aguero (haaland is great but without injuries I'm not convinced aguero wouldn't have hit 40 prem goals)... It doesn't matter. The players in the 11-12 team were elevated to untouchable status because of the way they ended the drought.

For example, Dias and Akanji are obviously much better players than Lescott was. But Lescott is much more of a legend in my eyes because he was part of the 10-11, 11-12 sides. It's a bit irrational, but the release of euphoria from those first two trophies is unmatched by even all of the pep records, treble, etc.

Rodri is better in that if you ask him to play a more attacking role and take penalties, he'd likely surpass Yaya goals wise (in his 13/14 season Yaya scored 11 non-pen goals, Rodri is currently on 7 from DM), but if you ask Yaya to do what Rodri does (link defence and attack, destroy the oppo attacks AND score crucial goals), he won't be able to do it at that exceptional level.

Rodri's ability to position himself, read the game and complete 100 passes per game (108 vs Arsenal!) is beyond what Yaya and any other CM in PL history could do. The reason why people fail to appreciate Rodri a bit more is that what he does seems to be easier in comparison to impressive runs with the ball, especially ones that end with goals.

Rodri is better in that if you ask him to play a more attacking role and take penalties, he'd likely surpass Yaya goals wise (in his 13/14 season Yaya scored 11 non-pen goals, Rodri is currently on 7 from DM), but if you ask Yaya to do what Rodri does (link defence and attack, destroy the oppo attacks AND score crucial goals), he won't be able to do it at that exceptional level.

Rodri's ability to position himself, read the game and complete 100 passes per game (108 vs Arsenal!) is beyond what Yaya and any other CM in PL history could do. The reason why people fail to appreciate Rodri a bit more is that what he does seems to be easier in comparison to impressive runs with the ball, especially ones that end with goals.
If we finally get a proper partner for Rodri his goals will increase considerably.

If we finally get a proper partner for Rodri his goals will increase considerably.

I read somewhere that Rodri has 18 goal involvements this season. Given he doesn't take set pieces, this is very impressive for a DM. Who was the last DM in the big leagues who contributed 20+ goals/assists without taking pens?

I think he is.

But it's the same as any debate over current and future players being better than the 2011 fa cup team and the 11-12 team. Even if kdb is better than silva, rodri better than yaya, haaland better than aguero (haaland is great but without injuries I'm not convinced aguero wouldn't have hit 40 prem goals)... It doesn't matter. The players in the 11-12 team were elevated to untouchable status because of the way they ended the drought.

For example, Dias and Akanji are obviously much better players than Lescott was. But Lescott is much more of a legend in my eyes because he was part of the 10-11, 11-12 sides. It's a bit irrational, but the release of euphoria from those first two trophies is unmatched by even all of the pep records, treble, etc.
Lescott ???

Close call, but i would say Yaya. Because without Yaya and his some priceless goals, we wouldn't be what we are and where we are at today.

Yaya laid the foundation for us to become enormously successful.

Yaya laid the foundation for us to become enormously successful.

If under 'Yaya' you meant also all of Kompany, David Silva and Aguero, you would be closer to the truth, but even that wouldn't be the whole truth. No one laid the foundation singlehandedly. It's been a huge collective effort.

Of course, people are free to love more one or another City player. Yaya was a very special player for us.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.