£250k of Taxpayer Money for MP Portraits

johnny on the spot

Enjoy your daily dose of outrage:

Iain-Duncan-Smith-011.jpg

MPs have spent almost £250,000 on paintings and sculptures of their colleagues, including portraits of the Tory cabinet ministers Iain Duncan Smith, William Hague and Ken Clarke.

The spending was revealed under a freedom of information request by the Evening Standard, which showed that almost £22,000 was spent on commissioning a portrait of John Bercow, the Commons Speaker, unveiled in 2011.

Critics said the large outlay on paintings of politicians was an expensive vanity project but Commons officials said portraits were commissioned to record those who had made a significant contribution to UK political life.

The document revealed that 21 parliamentarians were painted or sculpted between 2000 and 2010, costing an average of £7,000 to £9,000 each. Fewer have been ordered in recent years because of budget cuts.

Around £11,750 was spent on a full-sized statue of Margaret Thatcher. Her successor as prime minister, John Major, was honoured with a bronze bust costing £6,000.

Several former Tory opposition leaders were made the subject of artworks, including Hague, now foreign secretary, for £4,000; Iain Duncan Smith, now responsible for benefit reforms as work and pensions secretary, for £10,000; and Lord Howard, for £9,400. The former chancellor Ken Clarke's portrait cost £8,000.

From Labour, portraits of Diane Abbott, the Hackney North MP, and Margaret Beckett, the former foreign secretary, cost the public purse £11,750 each, and pictures of the leftwingers Dennis Skinner and Tony Benn cost £2,000 each.

A number of ex-Lib Dem leaders were also painted, including Sir Menzies Campbell at a cost of just over £10,000 and Lord Ashdown for £2,000.

Tony Blair was painted alongside the opposition leaders Hague and Charles Kennedy in a triptych costing £6,000.

Jonathan Isaby, chief executive of the Taxpayers' Alliance, said: "While the public might expect former prime ministers or speakers to be afforded the honour of a painting or bust in parliament, it would certainly seem that the net is being cast increasingly wide when it comes to identifying subjects.

"When photographs are so much cheaper than paintings, politicians need to think twice about spending our money immortalising themselves or their friends on canvas, or even in bronze."

When asked about the artwork, a Commons spokesman said: "The parliamentary art collection at the House of Commons records those who have made a significant contribution to UK political life over the centuries and in each parliament the Speaker's advisory committee on works of art endeavours to update this record by adding to the contemporary portrait collection.

"In recent years, the annual budget for acquiring works of art for the collection has been reduced to reflect the need for savings in the current economic downturn. This is part of the House's drive to reduce its overall cost by 17% by 2014-15."

The deputy leader of the Labour party, Harriet Harman, pulled out of a planned portrait painted in 2012 after press inquiries about how much the work would cost, saying she no longer felt the painting appropriate because of the difficult economic climate.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/jan/13/taxpayers-spending-mps-portraits" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... -portraits</a>

The best thing is you can go on a tour and see beautiful stunning portraits including of course Diane Abbot in Portcullis for £14!

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.parliament.uk/visiting/visiting-and-tours/ukvisitors/art-and-architecture-tours/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.parliament.uk/visiting/visit ... ure-tours/</a>

Really though these are nothing new, they've been around for years and some are quite interesting. Some MPs imo warrant their own portrait, there's a cracking one of Tony Benn.

tony-benn.jpg

However the likes of Blair, IDS and Ken Clarke can swivel!

FFS...........

How about this for another waste of OUR money

BADGER CULL

The total cost of policing the badger cull pilot has been confirmed as nearly £2.5m - or about £1,377 per badger.

In Gloucestershire, police and crime commissioner (PCC) Martin Surl tweeted the cost as "around £1.7m", while Avon and Somerset chief constable Nick Gargan said their costs were £738,985.

A total of 1,771 badgers were killed by marksmen - 921 in Gloucestershire and 850 in Somerset.

One charity earlier estimated the total cost to be £4,121 per animal.

The figures, from Care for the Wild, revealed £2.6m was spent policing the cull, farmers' costs were £1.49m, and the cost to the government was £3.2m - which meant a cost of £4,121 for each animal killed.

Clueless f*ckin morons

It's £250,000 since 1995, not that much really for a public record of MPs etc

I hate the cunts and would never pay to view them, but this is a bit of a non story to wind people up over nothing

Ifwecouldjust....... said:
FFS...........

How about this for another waste of OUR money

BADGER CULL

The total cost of policing the badger cull pilot has been confirmed as nearly £2.5m - or about £1,377 per badger.

In Gloucestershire, police and crime commissioner (PCC) Martin Surl tweeted the cost as "around £1.7m", while Avon and Somerset chief constable Nick Gargan said their costs were £738,985.

A total of 1,771 badgers were killed by marksmen - 921 in Gloucestershire and 850 in Somerset.

One charity earlier estimated the total cost to be £4,121 per animal.

The figures, from Care for the Wild, revealed £2.6m was spent policing the cull, farmers' costs were £1.49m, and the cost to the government was £3.2m - which meant a cost of £4,121 for each animal killed.

Clueless f*ckin morons

The thing I dont get about the badger cull is surely they are advised by people who are more clued up then them on this stuff so wouldn't they be taking the advice of farmers and or scientists?

foxy said:
The best thing is you can go on a tour and see beautiful stunning portraits including of course Diane Abbot in Portcullis for £14!

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.parliament.uk/visiting/visiting-and-tours/ukvisitors/art-and-architecture-tours/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.parliament.uk/visiting/visit ... ure-tours/</a>

Really though these are nothing new, they've been around for years and some are quite interesting. Some MPs imo warrant their own portrait, there's a cracking one of Tony Benn.

tony-benn.jpg

However the likes of Blair, IDS and Ken Clarke can swivel!

Pics of self serving morrally corrupt twats is considered interesting?

I pay my taxes for schools and roads, not a fucking painting of some **** i can't stand.

If it was not such a long process i would have already moved my company.
I resent every penny these bastards get of me.
I really hate these vain cunts.

I will judge who contributed well to tye country thanks not their own mates.

I will tell you now i am gonna wang my tax silly so they get fuck all.
I will send cash to local schools or something but i am fucking sick off these cunts.
I really wish a few would die i do.

There will never be an end to the profligacy in which MPs indulge themselves at the taxpayers expense. The only time MPs look after the taxpayers' money is when those taxpayers themselves ask if they could have some for a new hospital, school, police station that stays open or a new fire engine. Then frugality, meanness and a tight-fistedness becomes the order of the day.

Never has there been more skunks living under one roof enjoying the luxurious life at someone else's expense in history of universal suffrage.

I wonder what spiffing wheeze they are planning next.

Oh, hey up, someone's at the door - wants to know if I want a fucking oil painting of me and Mrs Ewing. Ah, this is what Dave C meant when he said that 'we're all in this together'! We're all gonna have a fucking painting done!

CTID1988 said:
It's £250,000 since 1995, not that much really for a public record of MPs etc

I hate the ***** and would never pay to view them, but this is a bit of a non story to wind people up over nothing

If it had been £250,000 since 1095 it's still a waste of our money. If they are so desperate to have a fuckin' painting of their ugly mugs then let them dip their greasy hands into their own greasy pockets. As far as I can see they don't use their salaries for keeping body and soul together, they screw the rest of us for it!

there should be a panel of ordinary joes who get to scrutinise what MP's are hoping to spend OUR money on and they get to approve/ veto

Better still let us all vote via t'internet

Bastards wouln't waste so much of OUR money then

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.