10 | Jack Grealish - 2023/24

I dont know if Pep has any time for this in the summer with the euros.

But I was hoping he could work with Jack on getting him use to do a "Bernie-like" midfield role next to Rodri, so he can play with Doku, Bobb or Savio, other electric wingers.

He keeps the ball well and physically is pretty strong. He just needs 360 vision, theoretically he should be better than Stones in this role next to Rodri. Perhaps it would open his passing range that we saw in Villa when he had this more central role to playmake.

I think Nunes should also be molded into a similar role, both also have good ball carrying ability.

I think a switch to a 532 or 541, either like Inter or Leverkusen would help this team defensively as well, Grealish and the like would do well in a formatiom like that I think.

Alonso's Leverkusen tactics seems to be the new trend in world football, because of how balanced it is. I can definitely see Pep adopting them and adding his tweaks to them next season. It's not really that different from how we set up already. Even more interesting if we plan for a possible future without the king De Bruyne.

Something like this, with the players already at the club (or pretty much confirmed to be):

___________Ederson
_____Akanji___Dias____Gvardiol
_________Stones___Rodri
_________Foden___Grealish
____Doku__Haaland__Savio

I think Grealish could be amazing in that box midfield with wingers around him stretching the pitch, Haaland in front of him, and both Rodri's and Foden's presence around him to free up space.

Alonso's Leverkusen tactics seems to be the new trend in world football, because of how balanced it is. I can definitely see Pep adopting them and adding his tweaks to them next season. It's not really that different from how we set up already. Even more interesting if we plan for a possible future without the king De Bruyne.

Something like this, with the players already at the club (or pretty much confirmed to be):

___________Ederson
_________Stones___Rodri
____Doku__Haaland__Savio

I think Grealish could be amazing in that box midfield with wingers around him stretching the pitch, Haaland in front of him, and both Rodri's and Foden's presence around him to free up space.
I really like the look of that.

Savio and Doku could easily swap too.

I definitely think there is something to midfield Grealish, probably suits his game more. Wont be judged on goals and assists, but more rightly on controlling the game and still making the 2nd pass (pre assist/hockey pass) that David Silva was so good at.

___________Ederson
_________Stones___Rodri
____Doku__Haaland__Savio

We play that exact formation at the moment and Grealish never gets a sniff of playing as one of the box in midfield. Won’t happen next season either.

We play that exact formation at the moment and Grealish never gets a sniff of playing as one of the box in midfield. Won’t happen next season either.
Haha to be fair, I kind of figured that out while I was typing out the formation. The biggest difference is the directness I suppose, the profile of player that absolutely shouldn't play (Walker and his limitations on the ball) and two outside wingers rather than two wingers looking to cut in and the two offensive midfielder acting more like inside forwards than how we have usually seen our offensive midfielders under Pep. With a striker like Haaland I really hope we develop more of this directness into our game

Last edited:

___________Ederson
_________Stones___Rodri
____Doku__Haaland__Savio

We have been playing this formation for 2 seasons buddy.

We have been playing this formation for 2 seasons buddy.
Yeah, the point is that we can incorporate a bit of what Alonso does with this set-up and that opens up for different players in different positions. Grealish for example could have a great role centrally in a set-up more aking to what Alonso does because the wide-players would have quite different instructions then. It is just a fun thought experience because we know Pep is as open to borrow stuff from other tacticians as much as he inspires others, and we have players like Haaland, Foden, Grealish and Doku that could all thrive with slightly adjusted instructions in a very similiar shape to the one we play now. Buddy

Yeah, the point is that we can incorporate a bit of what Alonso does with this set-up and that opens up for different players in different positions. Grealish for example could have a great role centrally in a set-up more aking to what Alonso does because the wide-players would have quite different instructions then. It is just a fun thought experience because we know Pep is as open to borrow stuff from other tacticians as much as he inspires others, and we have players like Haaland, Foden, Grealish and Doku that could all thrive with slightly adjusted instructions in a very similiar shape to the one we play now.
I think Pep is looking to play this formation next season but with faster wingers that are direct, hence the players we are linked with. He is emulating the speed and the directness we once had with Jesus, Sane and Sterling, but with this formation. As for Grealish in the middle, I do not see Pep doing it. He should do it, but he is unlikely to do it. We seem to be linked to at least 3players that will play as 8's and 6's. I doubt Grealish will be slotted in, maybe Pep is cooking something for him, in the middle, maybe???

This was not a Jab. Do not take offence, I meant well!

Why should Jack work his arse off for 70 mins each time so Doku can come on against tired defenders?
Because it's a team and each member should play his part to the best of his ability, for the team.......plus he's paid a very large amount of money every week.

It's disgusting the way ppl expect Jack to accept this sort of shitty treatment from Pep. Would they expect any of the other players to do so? Just vile.
You mean shitty treatment like starting all the big games ? terrible of Pep to do that.

Cole Palmer would've probably been happy with this kind of shitty treatment :)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.