19 | Julian Alvarez - 2023/24

So because I think Pep is wrong about playing Alvarez out of position it's the same thing as me saying I know more than Pep as a whole. Interesting application of logic that, except for the fact that it's an invalid conclusion based solely on your own myopic view of the situation. Playing Alvarez as a midfielder NOT AS A SECOND STRIKER IN THE ROLE KDB SEEMS TO NOW OPERATE IN is a terrible decision. Playing him on the wing doesn't appear to be a proper option either. Regardless of anything you want to say if that trend continues will win jack shit this year in terms of the league or the CL. Hopefully it won't come to that.
No, what you are saying isn’t Pep tried something it didn’t work move on, ( like say Phillips) if that was the case you might be able to say you were right he was wrong. Similar to when at Bayern he tried Martinez in midfield and after half an hour asked himself why he’d done it.
What you’re saying is Pep tried something it didn’t work and he can’t see it doesn’t work and he keeps repeating the thing that doesn’t work over and over, yet It’s obvious to posters on blue moon it doesn’t work. How likely do you think that is ?

Alvarez is one player I'd be disappointed if he went to be honest.
Others have gone and do okay but if he went I think he will do exceptional things in other top class sides.

The problem with this is you don’t know the reasons behind why Pep has chosen to go this way. There’s always a reason with Pep and it’s usually because he’s thought about things us mere mortals don’t.
Us fans are normally playing catch up 6 months later.
I agree, I don't know. The worrying thing is normally when Pep does something that raises an eyebrow it becomes evident why he's doing so in a matter of time and the results reflect this. This infatuation with shoehorning Alvarez into the lineup has not worked in big games and by all that we've seen will not work anytime in the near or distant future. I genuinely believe KDB was upset at coming off because he wanted a chance to see if he could do something with a real winger coming on. He'll never say that but he was making all sorts of gestures back toward the pitch. Also Rodri was having a go at Stones during the chaos that was that second half. When have we ever seen that? These guys are all now proven players and established treble winners. I'm not saying it's right that they should start to question Pep's decisions but I can't imagine that an eyebrow or two hasn't been raised by some this season. As a die hard fan I don't think it's out of order to at least raise some concerns, especially on a forum, in regards to what we're seeing. I'm not saying you, but some people get so damn defensive whenever anyone raises a question regarding anything Pep does. JMO

No, what you are saying isn’t Pep tried something it didn’t work move on, ( like say Phillips) if that was the case you might be able to say you were right he was wrong. Similar to when at Bayern he tried Martinez in midfield and after half an hour asked himself why he’d done it.
What you’re saying is Pep tried something it didn’t work and he can’t see it doesn’t work and he keeps repeating the thing that doesn’t work over and over, yet It’s obvious to posters on blue moon it doesn’t work. How likely do you think that is ?
So I'll ask you then. Do you think playing Alvarez anywhere when both Haaland and KDB are on the pitch is a good idea and has it proven to be successful?
I think you are missing my point. I know 1000% Pep sees and knows it's not working. My concern is why is he continuing to employ him in these roles when it's absolutely killing us? And make no mistake, at this level, with these fine margins, that's not an exaggeration.
Pep is known to be ruthless in terms of his player selections. Being uncompromising is a great part of what's made him so successful.
So in summary, I'm saying the opposite of what you're accusing me of, that I think I know more than Pep. I'm saying if I can see it, he certainly can see it. So you tell me, what's going on? Because it's not working.
We'll see how we line up v. Arsenal on the 31st.

I agree, I don't know. The worrying thing is normally when Pep does something that raises an eyebrow it becomes evident why he's doing so in a matter of time and the results reflect this. This infatuation with shoehorning Alvarez into the lineup has not worked in big games and by all that we've seen will not work anytime in the near or distant future. I genuinely believe KDB was upset at coming off because he wanted a chance to see if he could do something with a real winger coming on. He'll never say that but he was making all sorts of gestures back toward the pitch. Also Rodri was having a go at Stones during the chaos that was that second half. When have we ever seen that? These guys are all now proven players and established treble winners. I'm not saying it's right that they should start to question Pep's decisions but I can't imagine that an eyebrow or two hasn't been raised by some this season. As a die hard fan I don't think it's out of order to at least raise some concerns, especially on a forum, in regards to what we're seeing. I'm not saying you, but some people get so damn defensive whenever anyone raises a question regarding anything Pep does. JMO
I’ve learnt to trust the process. Pep had a habit of making people look silly in the long run.
I’m not overly keen on Alverez playing where he is right now but I accept it.

Kev hasn’t a leg to stand in regards Sunday, btw. He was garbage. Not alone of course but not really a performance that warrants him having a go at anybody.

He is the perfect striker for the way we play.
10 wins , 1 draw 30 odd goals when he covered for EH.
Got to be at least a good plan B for when Haaland is getting nowhere.

I’ve learnt to trust the process. Pep had a habit of making people look silly in the long run.
I’m not overly keen on Alverez playing where he is right now but I accept it.

Kev hasn’t a leg to stand in regards Sunday, btw. He was garbage. Not alone of course but not really a performance that warrants him having a go at anybody.
KDB was not good. But we have no idea what may or may not have been on his mind. I'm not looking to give him a pass but just like Pep gets the benefit of the doubt, I'm giving Kevin the benefit of the doubt. What if he's thinking this formation is for shit. Who knows if his performance is the result of some form of discontent with the set up? Not intentionally, of course, but as a matter of being a bit off kilter.
I love Pep as our manager but let's not all pretend he's doing more with less. He's doing more with more. There's a reason opposing fans roll their eyes when some City fans complain about the make up and size of our squad. We only have at least 5 of the best 10 footballers in the Prem and that's just for starters.
For what it's worth, I'm still 1000% convinced we win the Prem and the CL again.

KDB was not good. But we have no idea what may or may not have been on his mind. I'm not looking to give him a pass but just like Pep gets the benefit of the doubt, I'm giving Kevin the benefit of the doubt. What if he's thinking this formation is for shit. Who knows if his performance is the result of some form of discontent with the set up? Not intentionally, of course, but as a matter of being a bit off kilter.
I love Pep as our manager but let's not all pretend he's doing more with less. He's doing more with more. There's a reason opposing fans roll their eyes when some City fans complain about the make up and size of our squad. We only have at least 5 of the best 10 footballers in the Prem and that's just for starters.
For what it's worth, I'm still 1000% convinced we win the Prem and the CL again.
All 5 of those you mention (could be any 5 it doesn’t matter) weren’t considered the best in the Prem before Pep got hold of them.
Haaland aside who is probably the first superstar we’ve signed in a while.
It’s the consistency that sets Pep apart and why he’s the greatest. Getting players up for each new season after a previously successful one is probably one of the hardest parts and shouldn’t be brushed off with some comment about doing more with more.

If Kev has something to say, try not doing it in front of the watching world at Anfield.

So I'll ask you then. Do you think playing Alvarez anywhere when both Haaland and KDB are on the pitch is a good idea and has it proven to be successful?
I think you are missing my point. I know 1000% Pep sees and knows it's not working. My concern is why is he continuing to employ him in these roles when it's absolutely killing us? And make no mistake, at this level, with these fine margins, that's not an exaggeration.
Pep is known to be ruthless in terms of his player selections. Being uncompromising is a great part of what's made him so successful.
So in summary, I'm saying the opposite of what you're accusing me of, that I think I know more than Pep. I'm saying if I can see it, he certainly can see it. So you tell me, what's going on? Because it's not working.
We'll see how we line up v. Arsenal on the 31st.
I don’t know what’s going on, has it proven to be successful? Again don’t know how many games have we won v lost playing them,that’s okay I don’t need to know. Pep knows and whatever it is will be fine in the end. You say he can see it’s not working but you don’t know what he wants so you can’t say that.
He doesn’t pick players or systems that he thinks will cost him and his team trophies, he certainly doesn’t repeat it regularly without good reason, so if he’s doing it he has very good reasons to, whether you, me or anyone can see it has no relevance. Why would he repeat a mistake you think he can see ?

All 5 of those you mention (could be any 5 it doesn’t matter) weren’t considered the best in the Prem before Pep got hold of them.
Haaland aside who is probably the first superstar we’ve signed in a while.
It’s the consistency that sets Pep apart and why he’s the greatest. Getting players up for each new season after a previously successful one is probably one of the hardest parts and shouldn’t be brushed off with some comment about doing more with more.

If Kev has something to say, try not doing it in front of the watching world at Anfield.
I'm sorry you think I'm brushing off Pep's success. I'm just trying to keep a more realistic perspective. I'm fully aware of the many who do less with more...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.