19 | Julian Alvarez - 2023/24

Exactly. He looks like what he is - a striker playing in midfield.

And to compound the problem, it’s forcing Foden onto the right wing.
He is also not looking like a clinical striker anymore either. He was slow to get shots off today and his first shot was 10 yards wide. I think he has had a relatively good season but he looks ineffective at the moment, I knew he would start today. Pep seems to love him.

Really like Julian but forcing him into the 11 behind the striker when we have Bernardo on the bench just doesn’t make sense to me.

Just not doing enough at present to warrant a start in matches.Him and Erling just don't work together, Alvarez looks absolutely lost in the games

100% he's had a sulk at his playing time last season and Pep is having to fit him in to keep him happy.

If playing in midfield is making him happy I'd rather he sat his ass on the bench and hand in a transfer request in summer, can't play in midfield and isn't a great striker either, overated with a touch like the undertaker.
I don't necessarily agree with the second paragraph but the first is definitely why he's playing so much and getting shoehorned in IMO. I suspect promises were made to get him to sign that new contract after the World Cup when his stock was so high.

And before people dismiss this, it seems to be accepted by many that promises were made to Walker re game time in order to keep him at the club, which is why he starts constantly when he clearly shouldn't. (And it's not because he's captain -- Ferna didn't start plenty during the latter stages of his time as captain.)

It's clear the club have made promises to certain players and it's not good for the team overall.

Having him in the team is sacrificing all control we usually have in every game just to see him huff and puff and run aimlessly about. Watching him in the middle being completely ineffective whilst foden is pushed out wide and he's creating nothing for haaland is painful. Get it sorted and get him out the team.

I am flabbergasted at people who say Alvarez is not good enough for us, If he played for one of our main rivals I’d dread to see him on the pitch.
I agree.

Alvarez joined City direct from playing for River Plate since Feb 2022 without a break and had a World Cup finals at the end of that year in which he was a revelation for Argentina. From Feb 2022 when his season started with River and ending with City and the Champion league final he played in 89 matches either for River, City or Argentina!

I was happy along with many City fans with his performances last season. I actually believe he has shown improvement as a player. His first touch is better, his passing is better, his tackling is better and he has become a brilliant free kick taker and corner taker. His workrate is very high for our team. He is a better all round player and he is still a very reliable goal scorer.

What is there to complain about?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.