19 | Julian Alvarez - 2023/24

The Alvarez situation is strange. Pep is all about control of the midfield. We don’t have when he plays Alvarez there. But he has done this pretty much all season now.
I think it makes sense in some cases, even today, to be honest.

The problem is he needs to be on it for the midfield role to work. And if he isn’t, unlike players like Rodri or Haaland who still contribute to our play in there specific roles, even when they aren’t playing well, Alvarez not only doesn’t contribute, he actually handicaps the side. Our play is based on control, as you said, and if you are constantly giving away control to the opposition, that is going to seriously disrupt our system.

And that is what happened today. I am not trying to pile on, but I genuinely wouldn’t be surprised to see one of those meme stats kicking about later that Alvarez had the most touches prior to a Liverpool possession of any player on the pitch.

He has show he can excel in this role, today was just not an example of that and I actually put this mostly on Pep for leaving him on as long as he did. He wasn’t doing Alvarez any favours there.

Very odd choice to start him, especially in this particular fixture.
A fit Grealish or Kovacic in there with Bernardo wide and we run that game.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.