1st April 1990 - City win at Villa / Strangeways goes up in flames!

Cheers mate. It was a crazy day. My lad(now 27) was delivered by Caesarean section by a surgeon who was actually watching the game at the same time as me.

No.Fuckin.Way.
I am currently waiting for my daughter to give birth and a cesarian is looking like it's gonna happen. This minute. Hope the surgeon's not got Madrid on...

No.Fuckin.Way.
I am currently waiting for my daughter to give birth and a cesarian is looking like it's gonna happen. This minute. Hope the surgeon's not got Madrid on...
My best wishes to her and to you also mate.
You will have to give him a tarjeta amarilla if he is!!!

I was there! Used to go home & away in those days, seem to recall being in the stand to the right of the goal though rather than the usual behind the nets view, think Villa used to give us extra allocation as it was always a big away turnout. Such a shame Kendall went, really thought we were going to win trophies under him. Was this also the season when we robbed by that Gary Crosby goal at Forest?
Remember the forest game well Crosby couldn't take a corner after that for fear of getting a 50p piece striking his forehead. Not forgetting them playing classical music at us in that open stand while the forest fans listened to whatever was in the charts. Anyone remember that cage they put us in after getting off the special?

That's all fair enough. Back to the original point though, Atkinson was old enough to have seen Puskas, Di Stefano, Pele, Cruyff, and Maradona at their pomp. Not sure seeing David Platt round Andy Dibble and then square it for Gordon Cowans was the best "bit of skill" he'd ever seen!

It's funny how I can remember that goal just from the description without watching the highlights, that and the Daley run and shot shot which 6 year old me me thought was the best save ever from Dibble.

Remember the forest game well Crosby couldn't take a corner after that for fear of getting a 50p piece striking his forehead. Not forgetting them playing classical music at us in that open stand while the forest fans listened to whatever was in the charts. Anyone remember that cage they put us in after getting off the special?
Your going in the river

I was in the Villa Witton stand with a mate who was at university there and his Dad, my old foreman. What a day!! The City fans were to my left and were an unbelievable 'sight and sound' and as others have mentioned, poll tax riots and the first (for me at least) proper airing of 'Blue Moon'. Other big memory of the day was hearing 'The Power' by Snap which I think hit number 1 that evening.....got me right in the mood for the match. Arguably the turning point for staying up and watched the VHS tape many times.....lovely finish Reidy!!!

Last edited:

There was a couple of guys in the Kippax who used to try to get blue moon going long before it actually took. Their version was more like a barber shop quartet haha, which is probably why it took so long to take off. One of them was a Scot always had a Rangers scarf with him. Villa away was the first time for me that it really took off though. Crazy day, in what were crazy, brilliant times.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.