24 | Joško Gvardiol - 2023/24

• Thread starter BrazilianGus
  • Start date
Not at all impressed with Gvardiol at LB. Gives the ball away much, much too often, and infrequently contributes with a killer pass.

Gvardiol was one of the best CB's before we bought him - I don't understand why Pep won't play him at his natural position.
Perhaps you have answered your own question there. You can perhaps get away with being a bit careless with the ball out wide at times but not so much at CB. From what I have seen he doesn't seem the strongest in the air or in the tackle either.

Maybe we're hoping he'll improve in a few of those areas before giving him a run at CB. Personally would have Stones, Dias, Ake and possibly Akanji ahead of him for the CB role but he's still young and has plenty of time on his side.

Back to normal for him today. Interceptions, reading the game well in general, winning his duels, tackling, good passing making things happen. I really wanted him to score that 2nd half chance, it's a shame it got blocked. Well done, Josko.
His passing ability is next level for a defender, simple as...

Nice easy return for him. Played like he hadn't been out at all. He's dying to get off the mark with a goal too. He'll score a goal of the month contender beautiful goal soon enough.

Last edited:
He did great.

But that can't be his long term role, is it?

The wingers seem to like having their respective fullback hold the width as it gives them freedom, but Walker and Gvardiol aren't going to provide any real threat as a fullback.

Gvardiol does all the other bits amazingly for a defender.

His control, passing, reading to defend were all great today, but he has no long term future there as he doesn't have the pace or quality in crossing.

He did great.

But that can't be his long term role, is it?

The wingers seem to like having their respective fullback hold the width as it gives them freedom, but Walker and Gvardiol aren't going to provide any real threat as a fullback.

Gvardiol does all the other bits amazingly for a defender.

His control, passing, reading to defend were all great today, but he has no long term future there as he doesn't have the pace or quality in crossing.

Why worry about his long term future? He's 21, first year of a lengthy contract and could easily spend over a decade here, his long term future is far less important than his immediate future.

We have 5 centre backs and no left back in the squad he's one of 2 left footeed defenders and has experince out there. He is primarily a left back option for the foreseeable. It's also an easier and more forgiving introduction to a new team, a new league and a new style. Peps handling him brilliantly in my eyes.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.