24 | Joško Gvardiol - 2023/24

• Thread starter BrazilianGus
  • Start date
Why worry about his long term future? He's 21, first year of a lengthy contract and could easily spend over a decade here, his long term future is far less important than his immediate future.

We have 5 centre backs and no left back in the squad he's one of 2 left footeed defenders and has experince out there. He is primarily a left back option for the foreseeable. It's also an easier and more forgiving introduction to a new team, a new league and a new style. Peps handling him brilliantly in my eyes.
I don't disagree with anything you said.

I in no way worried about his long term future, because quite obviously he is talented and it is at the club, I was specific in talking about at left back.

Now you said it doesn't matter if its not at left back as he simply needs minutes, and that's true, but that isn't my point in any way.

My point is, what is Pep's long term future planning?

Is this the ideal he is looking for? Not for Gvardiol, but for the squad, and what does he envision as Gvardiol's role in that future, the Stones role, CB in a back 3, this false kind of fullback he did today.

These are just what I ponder, it's not really anything I would classify as "worry".

Like I already mentioned, Gvardiol was great today, and I have been happy with him this season.

Perhaps Pep himself doesn't even know what he envision as Gvardiol or even City's best set up.

I don't disagree with anything you said.

I in no way worried about his long term future, because quite obviously he is talented and it is at the club, I was specific in talking about at left back.

Now you said it doesn't matter if its not at left back as he simply needs minutes, and that's true, but that isn't my point in any way.

My point is, what is Pep's long term future planning?

Is this the ideal he is looking for? Not for Gvardiol, but for the squad, and what does he envision as Gvardiol's role in that future, the Stones role, CB in a back 3, this false kind of fullback he did today.

These are just what I ponder, it's not really anything I would classify as "worry".

Like I already mentioned, Gvardiol was great today, and I have been happy with him this season.

Perhaps Pep himself doesn't even know what he envision as Gvardiol or even City's best set up.
Gvardiol is talented enough and young enough to be moulded more than once if required into whatever pep wants him to be. Right now, he's more valuable to us as a left back. Personnel changes or a change in our style could see that change eventually but I think it's a safe bet to suggest for at least this and next season he's going to be seen as a left back primarily if not exclusively.

I don't believe pep really thinks much long term beyond the next couple of seasons at most. He's got what works now and has ideas to evolve and then he reacts to how opponents react to him to ensure he and city are always a few steps ahead, he won't know himself how he sees us playing in 3/4 years should he still be here nevermind how gvardiol will be utilised in that. This is why he favours adaptability in his players and gvardiol is learning to be adaptable. I strongly suspect over his career we will see him used in many different ways.

His upside is incredible and he’ll come good and only improve. Right now he’s a little nonchalant, but with experience he could grow into the Ake role just as well Ake did and that was one of the bigger surprises in the Pep era. The future is bright with him. The only thing stopping him is his desire to improve.

If we continue to play this back 3 model plus either walker or stones then there is no reason we cant have two left footers in the 3 just like we have two right footers at times.

personally i think the balance is perfect. If walker goes then you would need to replace him with (IMO) a proper right back rather than another ball playing centre back.

His upside is incredible and he’ll come good and only improve. Right now he’s a little nonchalant, but with experience he could grow into the Ake role just as well Ake did and that was one of the bigger surprises in the Pep era. The future is bright with him. The only thing stopping him is his desire to improve.
what do you know about his desire to improve? what a load of bs.

people laughed when Chelsea paid over £60m for Cucurella...if he showed these performances as a CB i would say fine but we overpaid a lot for his age...but as a LB/LW it`s underwhelming...his offensive game is non-existent & more of a decoy (the opposition knows it) & defensively he struggles against a fast RW (similar to Ake)

people laughed when Chelsea paid over £60m for Cucurella...if he showed these performances as a CB i would say fine but we overpaid a lot for his age...but as a LB/LW it`s underwhelming...his offensive game is non-existent & more of a decoy (the opposition knows it) & defensively he struggles against a fast RW (similar to Ake)
Name a better LCB U22 in world football. There is a reason why most people in this thread think he will become the best in the world in his position. We almost broke the world record for him, so our management must be pretty confident he is special. Hell, the boy was already nominated for the Ballon d'Or. His forward passing between the lines is one of the biggest reasons why we bought him, so that's his offensive contribution. The way he carries the ball. Strong, assured, technically brilliant. He was the fastest CB in the Bundesliga as well. Fantastic at 1 vs 1. He hasn't played much at LB, though, and is just learning his new position in a new environment. He has been mostly excellent this season, including against Newcastle a few days ago.

I think he made one error since.

People must get that we don't just buy fucks full-backs who go forward every time they get a chance, like Couto or Frimpong. That's not the Man City way. We haven't had a player like that for a long-time now.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.