5 | John Stones - 2023/24

I agree with the not stepping into midfield bit, however imo John is a better centre half than any of the others anyway so would still be playing for me if he’s fully fit.
I think this is due to the Dias leadership/organisation factor. I think Pep sees him as the glue. So Dias gets the nod over Stones for that reason, and Ake (now Akanji) gets the nod as the other CB because they need to play almost at LB when Gvardiol goes to left wing.

Because we changed our tactics. We do not need a centre back going into midfield. We now play Gvardiol left wing and Foden is now the player moving from their starting position into midfield. With Gvardiol playing higher, Ake has been getting the nod because he’s left footed so gives us the best balance in the back 3 that remains once Gvardiol goes to the wing. With Ake injured, Akanji will now do that role. So it’s purely tactical. This set up has been working and Stones doesn’t really fit in it.

Agree with all of that but, if fit, I'd have Stones over anybody else at the club at right centre-back. If not him then Akanji but I'd even be tempted to push him to right back instead.

But that's just me.

Because we changed our tactics. We do not need a centre back going into midfield. We now play Gvardiol left wing and Foden is now the player moving from their starting position into midfield. With Gvardiol playing higher, Ake has been getting the nod because he’s left footed so gives us the best balance in the back 3 that remains once Gvardiol goes to the wing. With Ake injured, Akanji will now do that role. So it’s purely tactical. This set up has been working and Stones doesn’t really fit in it.

I think this is a very simplistic take?! He didn’t just start to play for City last season?!

He is head and shoulders the best defender in the squad. Something else is going on.

Dias defending abilities and athleticism is much better than Stones, sorry I love Stones but if it was down to Dias or Stones, I know who I'm picking. Players have a hard time bullying Dias
Is that because he’s 2 yards from the attacker as he’s scared of being beaten for pace?

Dias is great against stronger strikers, but less so against mobile ones.

Horses for courses.

I think this is a very simplistic take?! He didn’t just start to play for City last season?!

He is head and shoulders the best defender in the squad. Something else is going on.
I don’t think it’s simplistic at all, it’s the reality! We changed tactics recently, mainly to get the best out of Foden whilst KDB is also on the pitch. Pep does not want Phil defending centrally, so he doesn’t like playing Foden and KDB with Rodri in midfield. So his recent solution has been to have Phil go into midfield from left wing, so that his defensive responsibility is out wide and not side by side with Rodri. The knock on effect of this is that we need our width to come from left back, so Gvardiol has been tasked with that. Then the knock on effect of that is our left centre back has to be able to play left back (Ake/Akanji) and furthermore, Pep doesn’t seem to like taking Dias’ leadership out of the team. So put it all together and that’s why Stones isn’t starting right now. But this tactic won’t last forever and then Stones will be back starting.

I agree with the not stepping into midfield bit, however imo John is a better centre half than any of the others anyway so would still be playing for me if he’s fully fit.

He passes the ball better, apart from that Dias is light years ahead
Wow. Ok, I’ll leave you with that opinion.
Some people are just delusional... ;-) :-) JB is better all round, I like Dias but JB puts him in the shade. As for no one bullying Dias, I don't remember anyone bullying John Stones. They daren't they know he'd get the better of them every time. IMHO

Dias has been far and away our worst defender this season, so no idea why anyone would think he was a better option than Stones at the back. Except Pep of course, lol.
Ruben has had a very mixed season and John has had another injury ridden season but I still believe that they are our best central defensive pairing when both fit. Having said all the Ankanji and Ake have brilliant all season.

Dias has been far and away our worst defender this season, so no idea why anyone would think he was a better option than Stones at the back. Except Pep of course, lol.
Nope that's Walker, and Dias has improved recently.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.