82 | Rico Lewis - 2023/24

probably should get a loan next season. still dont see it but some experience would certainly help his development. hope he can make it here hasn't fully vanished.

It would have to be a very carefully selected loan, no point him going to next season's Sheffield United. If that were the option it'd be better off him training with the first team all year even if he doesn't play.

Serious question…

Where does he go on loan?

I really don’t think there would be a queue of teams wanting to take a 5’7” right back who weighs about 10 stone piss wet through. A right back who doesn’t defend particularly well and offers next-to-nothing going forward.

His best attributes see him moving into the midfield of a world-class side, which most weeks enjoys 70% possession against massively inferior opposition. His role in this, is to offer himself up for a pass and then proceed to keep it simple. Which he does really well for the most part.

What other sides want these attributes?

I honestly believe that he is something of an anomaly. Can play for City (because we are just that fucking good) but would struggle to get a game elsewhere. IMO, he is better off staying here and playing 20 games a season. If he goes somewhere else, I think he will be found out pretty quickly.

Nah mate, he needs to do a lot more than he did tonight. Last season be had a confident swagger about him which belied his age and inexperience. He was knocking the ball about like a seasoned pro and even had the audacity to point to players where he wanted them to be when he got on the ball. This season he seems to be playing within himself and he seems to have lost the confidence he had.

We'll agree to disagree! He's made his England debut this season off the back of some consistent performances. For me it was more about being stronger on the ball and better positionally, cutting out the mistakes. I don't see anything wrong in him coming in and playing it simple to build the basics. Sometimes it's a step back that's needed in order to progress. Foden was a huge talent but Pep spent 5 years talking about the need for him to control the tempo better and it's only this season we've seen him balance that attacking talent and flair he's always had with the control and tempo Pep expects. Ultimately it's a CL last 16 second leg and as much as it was a piece of piss, that's down to the fact we've got a squad of top class players who can make it look that way.

Impossible game on which to judge him. He was not only playing in a makeshift side but one in which, for the first time in a long time, there was no natural width. Lewis has neither the physique nor pace to hold a flank in the way Walker does, which was why he was brought inside and Nunes went outside in the second half. Even when playing inside, however, Copenhagen could comfortably funnel us into a congested midfield; Guardiola gave him an earful for not driving at them when he did have space. Nobody can expect too much from players when they are only making the occasional cameos.

Serious question…

I really don’t think there would be a queue of teams wanting to take a 5’7” right back who weighs about 10 stone piss wet through. A right back who doesn’t defend particularly well and offers next-to-nothing going forward.

His best attributes see him moving into the midfield of a world-class side, which most weeks enjoys 70% possession against massively inferior opposition. His role in this, is to offer himself up for a pass and then proceed to keep it simple. Which he does really well for the most part.

I honestly believe that he is something of an anomaly. Can play for City (because we are just that fucking good) but would struggle to get a game elsewhere. IMO, he is better off staying here and playing 20 games a season. If he goes somewhere else, I think he will be found out pretty quickly.
Serious answer: Girona. I reckon we’ll keep him close, but if we want him to gain game time that is more than ‘toughening up’, then perhaps there.

Serious question…

Good assessment that, there might be foreign clubs that would suit his play, but would he want that, better staying here, listening to Pep and learning amongst the best players in the world.

Serious question…

There's probably no need to go on loan yet either.

He's playing about the same minutes that Foden did at the same age.

And this is an interesting one: Klopp has played ten players who are 18/19 this season. Rico, who was 18 at the start of the season, has more minutes than all ten of them put together.

He's a one man Pepz Kidz.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.