A Crazy FA Cup Tie At Notts County During February 1991

City_Shirts

With City drawn away for a third consecutive FA Cup fixture during the 1990/91 campaign, hopes were high following wins over Burnley, 1-0 and Port Vale 2-1, as Peter Reid’s side travelled to Neil Warnock’s then second division Notts County, that this could be our year.

What followed is what you’d call a classic FA Cup tie with both sides going all out for the win during a freezing cold February afternoon at Meadow Lane. I travelled to the fixture as starry-eyed 16 year-old convinced that this was our year !! I left Nottinghamshire that afternoon following our last minute 1-0 defeat curtesy of a Gary Lund goal, a striker who was only playing as County’s main striker Dave Regis was cup-tied, with a name that has been forever etched on my memory...........Steve Cherry, the Notts County goalkeeper, who had previously conceded 19 goals in just five appearances against City in Cup fixtures between 1986 and 1989 with his former clubs Walsall and Plymouth Argyle……….Mr Cherry pulled off at least 6-7 world class saves while on the receiving end of some hefty challenges form the City forward line of Niall Quinn, Clive Allen and David White, and I honestly believe if we were still playing now, we would not have beaten the County stopper as yet !!!

It was really one of those magic FA Cup ties form a very different era and I’m delighted that Steve has kindly agreed to do a Tales of Blue of his memories of that afternoon and build-up to the fixture that ended with City keeper Tony Coton exchanging blows with jubilant County fans as he left the pitch.

This means I will finally be able to lay the disappointment to rest !!

My chat with Steve Cherry will be out on the Tales of Blue YouTube channel this Monday afternoon which is completely free to subscribe to on the link below.

With City drawn away for a third consecutive FA Cup fixture during the 1990/91 campaign, hopes were high following wins over Burnley, 1-0 and Port Vale 2-1, as Peter Reid’s side travelled to Neil Warnock’s then second division Notts County, that this could be our year.

What followed is what you’d call a classic FA Cup tie with both sides going all out for the win during a freezing cold February afternoon at Meadow Lane. I travelled to the fixture as starry-eyed 16 year-old convinced that this was our year !! I left Nottinghamshire that afternoon following our last minute 1-0 defeat curtesy of a Gary Lund goal, a striker who was only playing as County’s main striker Dave Regis was cup-tied, with a name that has been forever etched on my memory...........Steve Cherry, the Notts County goalkeeper, who had previously conceded 19 goals in just five appearances against City in Cup fixtures between 1986 and 1989 with his former clubs Walsall and Plymouth Argyle……….Mr Cherry pulled off at least 6-7 world class saves while on the receiving end of some hefty challenges form the City forward line of Niall Quinn, Clive Allen and David White, and I honestly believe if we were still playing now, we would not have beaten the County stopper as yet !!!

It was really one of those magic FA Cup ties form a very different era and I’m delighted that Steve has kindly agreed to do a Tales of Blue of his memories of that afternoon and build-up to the fixture that ended with City keeper Tony Coton exchanging blows with jubilant County fans as he left the pitch.

This means I will finally be able to lay the disappointment to rest !!

My chat with Steve Cherry will be out on the Tales of Blue YouTube channel this Monday afternoon which is completely free to subscribe to on the link below.

Never mind all that guff; what shirts did we wear?

;-)

Went all 3 games.
In the Burnley end (for about 20 mins) kicked off and had to scale the fence onto the pitch.
Steward thought i'd been stabbed as i had a white woolen jumper on that was covered in red off the vandal grease on top of the fence.
Port Vale.... Clive the man.
Notts County.... Unbelievable Jeff, how did we lose that game.
Curry/food fight in the back of the van on the way home was our way of letting off some steam with the result.
Thought it was going to be our year as the rags had won the cup the previous season playing away in every round.
But hark no

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.