A Crazy FA Cup Tie At Notts County During February 1991

NEW EPISODE

Tales of Blue - Steve Cherry

Tales of Blue caught up with 1991 Notts Co keeper Steve Cherry who's inspired performance in a real old fashioned FA Cup tie during February 1991 denied City a 1/4 final spot when many blues believed our name was on the Cup. Steve has kindly shared his memories of that afternoon including an unusual match preparation under Neil Warnock, clearing the pitch of snow, his love of the FA Cup, double saves, pitch invasions, Gary Lund's winner, Tony Coton and an fantastic afternoon between the sticks.
Steve is a fantastic fella who kindly gave up his time to share some memories of football from a very different era.

I remember that game with Coton throwing a pew punches at the final whistle to a couple of pitch invaders. From what I remember one of them was having a go at Mark Ward, Coton stepped in throwing haymakers while Ward just turned around and walked off leaving him to it!i

Went to this one packed on the terrace behind the goal. Think we got an allocation of 7k but loads of other blues all round the ground.

An absolute belter of a game, we missed chance after chance, they scored later on but always had a threat with their striker (bartlett??) on the break and a very impressive Tommy Johnson. Conceded late, hit the bar just after the restart, bedlam at the finish. A world away from football today.

Edit: just listened to the recording, all the best to Steve and his wife. Seems a top bloke as well as a top keeper, though he broke my heart as a 15 year old that day.

Last edited:
It was certainly a crazy game that we should never have lost, but maybe not as weird as arriving at Meadow Lane on 9/11 and wondering if the game was still on, or even why it hadn't been cancelled.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.