Advice on living and working in a non-English speaking country?

A funny thing about Switzerland, well the people I work with, is that we work in English but they come from all over Switzerland where some speak various versions of Swiss German, others speak french and yet others Italian. So coffee break conversations are often a mix of all 4 or at least English, french and german. Often all three in a single sentence. It gets a bit confusing when I then go to the supermarket and do the same at the check out. The usual response is to get an answer in english which is fine. The lady at the little Kiosk where I buy my cigarettes is cool though, she always corrects me if I make a mistake or speak english. She did comment that my Schweizerdeutsch is getting worse not better the other day :-(

Make sure you do your sums &research schools/ tax .medical. bills / insurance ,housing ,all differ in different countries ,make sure you have a plan b

I know that there are many here who have worked abroad, and I'm hoping that this thread can be of interest to a wide range of people on here.

My missus and I have discussed relocating to a European country to live and work for a good stint. To learn a foreign language would be of great benefit; not only to us, but our daughter becoming fluent in a useful foreign language would offer great opportunities to her in the future.

What advice can you give? Hopefully from personal experience, be it good or bad and what you wish you had done instead.

Specifically:-
  • Learning the language: are the foundations enough prior to moving, or would advanced knowledge be necessary from the get-go?
  • Securing work: move and find a job, find a job and move, or transfer within an organisation from a UK office to a European office?
  • What country: your views, experiences or knowledge on European countries or specific cities where an expat can thrive (or, at least, survive).

As little or much as you can add would be a great help! A very broad question, I know, with very little basis.

In olden times i would carry a phrase book everywhere i went and try and use it as much as possible. The simple fact that you are trying to speak the lingo is enough for most natives to try and help you out. Those that do will probably have a bit of English language and want to learn more so it becomes a two way street.
You.ve just got to dive in and see what happens. If you make a balls up so what?

It's not a dream, it is reality.
You will definately need a job to go to
You will definately need to speak at least the basics of the language
You will need a years worth of floating capital just to be on the safe side
Be prepared for the unexpected. It will happen.
Dont leave your brains at the airport.
sorry mate, I totally disagree, going on personal experience, jump in at the deep end, you will work things out.

Advice on living and working in a non-English speaking country?

It's a barmcake. Welcome to the UK btw
approve.gif

I can tell you about living and working in a country which does not have quality English but I am not sure that's what you are asking

We moved to Germany for a couple of years as the wife landed a job with a large multinational company. I would recommend you get a job first as your new employer may help with moving cost etc. The company payed for a relocation agency to do all the work which included registering in the country, house searching, looking for schools and shipping of our furniture.

I tried to learn Germany on Babel and dulingo before I went which helped but thankfully my wife negotiated that we received German lesson so was lucky enough to get one to one tuition with Berlitz, which was brilliant so where ever you move I would look out for the nearest office.

As for the kids language we made a decision to put our children in local schools rather than an international school as these were not only expensive but to far to commute ( needed to leave the house at 5.30 for 8 oclock start). My son went to the local multilingual school and my daughter went to the local kindergarten. within 6 months they were both speaking fluently.

We returned to the uk last year and can honestly say although it was stressful at times and we made lots of mistakes i would definitely do it again.

Recommend you buy one of these and read up before you go:- http://www.survivalbooks.net/books-guides-world/

goolge expats societies in the location you intend moving to. always a good source for getting info.

As for Germany as a place to live it is Brilliant and where we lived on the west we were so close to france, holland and luxemburg the kids have more of an understanding of europe than they would ever learn in school . However be prepared for lots of rules and red tape, I am still trying to cancel my tv licence a year after we left because you have to do everything on paper and a friend who also moved from the uk was fined 80 euros for washing his car on the driveway.

good luck

I can recommend Denmark highly. At Masters Level in Denmark the teaching is done in English and the majority of Danes have such a good grasp of English that they also get the humour. I think in any Scandinavian country you'll settle really well, the success of their TV programmes in England shows the similarities in our culture.

You can survive without Danish and there are many global companies with offices in Copenhagen and most of the work will be in English. It's good to try and pick up the language still but it's best and quickest to learn when you're in the environment and hearing it daily.

They have a great welfare system and are happy to pay high taxes, it leads to a great education system and free higher education. Denmark is a fantastic place and though I'm back in England I miss it a lot. They have a good work/life balance and though ambitious, the Danes are very modest and value family and life over the pursuit of wealth and obsession with class that you get in the UK.

In terms of jobs I'd recommend getting a job before you move. Also, take a trip to wherever you are thinking of moving to. Imagine yourself living there, and if you like it, go for it!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.