Aleksandar Kolarov - 2016/17 performances

Discussion in 'Player Performances' started by blightee, 13 Aug 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cleavers

cleavers

I think at CB Kolarov does read the game well, so yes.

However at LB, and Pep doesn't actually play a LB in the true sense, he is expected to attack, and this is where he gets found out, because he can't recover to LB or Pep's version of it. Clichy couldn't do the offensive part of it, but was more reliable at the defensive side, which is why with Vinny fit, Kolarov got less games.

2. CityAcrossThePond

CityAcrossThePond

Kolarov - world class left foot.

Reads the game well.

Zero pace.

At LB especially, and at times at CB, lack of pace is a huge liability.

Under Pellers, lost motivation and wouldn't run back on defense - who could blame him?
    ===============
    I hope Kolarov stays - against weaker sides, or when we're running away with the game, subbing him in/starting him at LB/CB is fine.

But against top sides, we need someone at LB who is great going forward and who can defend - and at CB, is a bit more pacy.

3. pudge

pudge

Messi has a world class left foot.

Kolarov can just hit a ball really, really hard.

4. CityAcrossThePond

CityAcrossThePond

Kolarov is a huge liability at times in defense especially at LB as I've posted above - but, man, oh, man, his crosses at LB are killer. There's no one in our squad whom I'd prefer to be in a crossing position at LB.

And Kalarov would be a decent/excellent defender - except he lacks pace.

5. Manchester_lalala

Manchester_lalala

A few more really's needed I think. Leathers the ball as hard as he can.

6. Barcon

Barcon

He puts in about six decent crosses a year and can't play left back.

7. karen7

karen7

Don't diss the kolarov or the coven,well just me these days,will come and get you

8. quiet_riot

quiet_riot

IT Nerd
    Literally his only tactic. Brain dead.

9. Danny_Johnson4

Danny_Johnson4

Ok.
    He's a huge asset at times from the back against sides that sit deep and narrow. Probably the best player in our entire squad at hitting that diagonal ball to our wide men.
    He is very good in the air and brings some kind of leadership, the players and manager clearly respect him, which matters a hell of a lot more than you not doing so

One of my favourite members of the squad, and a drastically underrated footballer in the team, despite being left totally exposed at times due to the system and his lack of pace (back 3 at leicester for example)
    Should be given another year as back up CB, and it is worth noting he did play LB in the 0-0 derby and was excellent defensively whilst being more progressive with his passing that night than Clichy was all season

10. CityAcrossThePond

CityAcrossThePond

For some reason Kolarov is massively polarizing among our fans - most either really hate him or really love him.

Especially at LB, Kola is found out time and again for lack of pace. If you value defense at LB, Kola is a liability who needs help against teams that can exploit his lack of pace.

Kola reads the game well though and at CB where he need not wander far upfield, he's been mostly very good - but prone to attack once again due to lack of pace.

Finally, Kola was affected by Pelligrini - failing to run back on defense where he was clearly needed. Many fans cannot forgive him for this (understandable, but I think Pelligrini is partially to blame).
    ===============
    Anyhow, I like Kola - start him at LB against weaker teams - use him as a backup CB.

Kola has a world-class left foot and can kill teams with his crosses. He's great at passing from the back when played as CB. But if the opposition has a pacy offensive player whom he must defend at LB/CB... then it's best not to start him.

Last edited: 11 Jun 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.