Alexis Sanchez

Status
Not open for further replies.
All good fun mate looking like a decent gap for us now 5 games take some catching now.i think sanchez will get done soon as hes needed now with all the games.sounds like wengers admitting defeat.
With the FA Cup coming up we should know soon , he play and gets cup tied not happening
My personal view he will be a City player soon

£25m?

I would pay it if it was my money.

That £25m could win us the Champions League.

I’ve thought about it and we have one space in the squad and I’d go Sanchez.

I know there is a need for CB and LB and even DM but I think these all require careful consideration and the best players tend not to be available till the summer.

Sanchez is different and is just the summer signing later because Arsenal pissed around. We could have brought him and then he got injured in the first game and been out for 4 months and this would be where we are now, just 30 odd million saved.

If John Cross is tweeting that then as far as I’m concerned the deal is done.

£25mil sounds about right.

I did think this would of been dragged out over January but at that price £25m is a bargain.

Sanchez is an 80m player, and if he was a few years younger he'd be going for more than Coutinho. 25m to help us in 4 competitions till the end of the season is a no brainer imo. It'd also mean a slightly lower wage/signing on fee so it'll balance it out somewhat. Plus if Arsenal get past Chelsea in the League Cup it will weaken an opponent in the final (should we get there)

I think we will know once Arsenal start getting seriously linked with one or two decent players that are likely to replace him.

Once that happens I think we will know he will be a City player this month.

I appreciated those comments.

We're now in a fantastic position where the league is under our control and in we're in all the Cups. An unprecedented opportunity, and I agree that one of the big risks is injury to key players which loomed very large after the Palace game. Those fears have receded a little now, but still there.

It's a balancing act. Do we bring in the best of who is available now, or do we wait and bide our time until the Summer at which point a target will become available. I remember in the Summer Khaldoon said we would target 4 trophies and that got ridiculed, but it's on the table now. Guardiola said in recent press conferences that it was almost impossible based on the demands it would place on the squad. Do we just prioritise based on the squad we have, or buy more players? Very fair question.

I would wait. I wouldn't buy a player unless I was totally convinced by them over the duration of their contract. If you push me to come up with names now then I would say Lucas Moura from PSG (if we can deal with PSG - I am not sure how big an issue the Qatar/UAE dispute is re City and PSG). I also like Veratti but I have not seen PSG play this season apart from brief highlights in the Champions League. Somewhere down the line we also have to consider whether we're going to make good on our promises to promote from the academy. That obviously depends on whether the players coming through are good enough. Foden and Diaz look like they good enough. I also like the young keepers we have and Tosin. There's a gap between their ability now, and what we require but that can only be bridged by time and appearances.

I don't know enough about footballers across the world to pick out alternatives. I hear some rumours that Hazard has refused to negotiate an extension to his contract and you wonder about how long Kane will remain at Spurs if they miss out on the top 4, but they are hardly realistic targets now. Sanchez is a good player. I'm not dead set against him, because I accept he would be an asset, it's just a question of whether we would do better to hold fire until a better alternative becomes available. This is a difficult question to answer because I can't really give you alternatives to Sanchez other than vague suggestions that there will be better alternatives if we wait until the Summer.

I am aware that we could decide not to move for Sanchez, and then in February Aguero could get injured and we'd be kicking ourselves. The situation could change on a more or less match by match basis, based on the fitness and form of our players, and an extra player is some insurance, but it is also an opportunity cost if that player is not as good as the next superstar that comes along - like Mbappe, or even Neymar.
Decades ago, I remember buying my first Windows PC running on Windows 3.1. It had an SX33 Chipset, 8mb of Ram & a 500mb HD. It was state of the art at the time & cost me a bomb.

However, 4 months later I went back to the shop where I bought my PC & was seriously pissed off when they were advertising 16mb sticks of ram & 1gb HD's. After arguing with the bloke thinking he'd stiffed me, he agreed as a one off gesture to swap my 8mb of ram for 16mb & my 500mb HD for the latest 1gb HD, with the caveat being it was the last time he'd do so as a gratuitous act.

Anyway, I decided to wait for the 'ultimate' computer to come out, so I wouldn't have to keep on upgrading, which sounded like a smart move to me back then, but sounds more than a bit silly today.

There is an old saying that a bird in the hand, is worth two in the bush & just like you can't think of better alternatives (who more importantly are actually available now), what sense does it make to pass up on Sanchez in the hope that better may come along?

Even you as one of Sanchez's main detracters, can't dig up an alternative! Manchester City need reinforcements NOW & NOT just in the summer when our opportunity may have passed.

Also, are you seriously suggesting that we pass on Sanchez & pin our immediate hopes on Foden & Diaz etc? Did you not watch the Carabao Cup last 8 match against Leicester reserves? Don't you think saving £60m & promoting Foden & Diaz may have been considered by Guardiola? If so, what dya reckon his conclusions were?

When players like Sanchez, Ozil & Hazard become available, we have to take those opportunities when presented, & not pass them up hoping the 'ultimate' player comes along soon after.

Did I ever tell you about this story of me refusing to upgrade my computer, whilst I waited for the 'ultimate' computer to be built?

Last edited:
I don't think I've commented in this thread yet but Txiki needs to read in here and get the guy. The money isn't an object and Arsenal will want something for him. Whatever we give them can be used to buy their precious young-moldable players that will want to be there and could help them knock the rags out of the top four.

How about City throw in Mangala on loan for the rest of the season to shore up their defense? Mangala on loan + $$$$$$$ for a player who wants to be there is better than a mopey Chilean.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.