Alexis Sanchez

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the situation is as follows.

Last Summer
1. Alexis wanted to work with Pep.
2. A deal was agreed that Alexis was happy with.
3. Other clubs came sniffing - PSG & Bayern who were given some incredible demands that quickly had them backing away.
4. 3 above was done on the basis that it would take other clubs out of the game or if they agreed to the huge sums asked - happy days

Jan 2018
1. Nothing has changed from the Summer Alexis still wants to join Pep.
2. Deal was agreed based on the deal agreed in the Summer
3. Another club came sniffing and were dealt with in exactly the same way that PSG & Bayern were in the summer. They were quoted an incredibly high wages/agent package and the result was expected to be the same.
4. However, this time the club was United who are desperate for 2 things
a) To improve their squad with star signings
b) To get one over City
5. To everyone's surprise United agreed to pay and given this will be Alexis last big contract he could not turn it down.

I don't blame him for going for the money. Effectively he is being well compensated for having to play shit Mourinho football.
Do you really think that part of utds objectives in their transfer policies is to make sure they get one over on us? Yes we as city fans may think that but really?

Do you really think that part of utds objectives in their transfer policies is to make sure they get one over on us? Yes we as city fans may think that but really?

It's more of preventing Sanchez coming to us to strengthen us further really. So it may seem to be 'getting one over us' but in the grand scheme of things they have to get one over us to close the gap or at the very least not see the gap widen.

Pretty sure a fair number will be glad he isn't coming, pal. They won't be dwelling on it, more chance they will use it as a motivator to show Pep Sanchez wasn't needed.

Excellent player, could have helped us win a bit more, could have been another Rodney Marsh.

I am sure that it is exercising the minds of players way less than on here. Just seems harder for the fans to get over. I guess if it had been PSG or Bayern signing him this thread would be closed. It is purely the destination that is getting people clinging on hoping it goes wrong.

I know Sky are miles behind but Mourinho was not saying it was close today by the looks of it either.

It's more of preventing Sanchez coming to us to strengthen us further really. So it may seem to be 'getting one over us' but in the grand scheme of things they have to get one over us to close the gap or at the very least not see the gap widen.
I don't know mate I can't see it myself. They got him by quite simply saying name your price and he got seduced by it all.

Sessegnon for me too. Sign him then loan him out to a top club. I think he could be top level one soon.

Why would Sessegnon want to go on loan? Clubs like Spurs and Liverpool have wanted to sign him outright, why would he want to go to Girona or Celtic for a few years after we sign him? Why would we want to sign someone for 20-30m+ only to loan them?

I think he’d do a job as a back up for Sane and Mendy right now.

He's raw but on paper he'd be perfect back up for both LB & LW.

I think it’s a bonus for them that their fans and the media will perceive it as such.

For the club they get a very good player.

We move on, hopefully to more exciting and younger options.

Last Summer
3. Other clubs came sniffing - PSG & Bayern who were given some incredible demands that quickly had them backing away.
4. 3 above was done on the basis that it would take other clubs out of the game or if they agreed to the huge sums asked - happy days.
Happy Days he didn't sign. In hindsight it's highly unlikely we'd be as well off as we are now.

Jan 2018
Everything has changed. From City's point of view, we're flying and have no reason to buy him. Deals do not hang there in perpetuity. City's attitude though changes when Jesus gets hurt at Palace.
City did not agree any deal. We probably intended to offer similar terms to the player, and to negotiate downwards the fee payable to Arsenal, and then discovered that the player's terms had gone up and that he was in contact with Utd. At the same time we received good news from Dr Cugat re Jesus, and we quickly withdraw.
3. Another club came sniffing and were dealt with in exactly the same way that PSG & Bayern were in the summer. They were quoted an incredibly high wages/agent package and the result was expected to be the same.
b) To get one over City
5. To everyone's surprise United agreed to pay and given this will be Alexis last big contract he could not turn it down.

I don't blame him for going for the money. Effectively he is being well compensated for having to play shit Mourinho football.
No I don't blame him either. He owes us nothing. He has to do the best for himself. I predict he will really struggle at Utd. Maybe it will go OK at first, but in 1-2 years it will be a real struggle.
My thoughts

I think it’s a bonus for them that their fans and the media will perceive it as such.

For the club they get a very good player.

We move on, hopefully to more exciting and younger options.
I mean to be honest we'd probably say the same if it was the other way round, it's the fickle nature of football fans.
I just get a feeling that this Sanchez saga will drag to the last day, miky terrapin isn't going to go quietly.

Last Summer
4. 3 above was done on the basis that it would take other clubs out of the game or if they agreed to the huge sums asked - happy days

Jan 2018
b) To get one over City

I fully agree with you, all the other teams who enquired pretty much balked at the idea of pay such ludicrous amounts. He'd made his mind up and we had a clear run, however things changed when shit for brains Woodward agree to pay this mammoth wage and turned Sanchez's head. I think he will have looked at his own age, this being his last big move, China aside and thought fuck it, if they're stupid enough to pay it, I'll take it. I also firmly believe that he will have had the steer from his agent, who will have been greased and that he has wrestled with his own conscence about not coming to us. In all other jobs you go where the money is best and whether we like it or not football is no different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.