Any past or present City player everybody seems to rate but you don't

Buster Phillips. Obviously not everybody rated him, but Alan Ball reckoned he was going to be a world beater. And,
Terry Cooke, if it hadn’t been for the fact he came from the rags and that was fun to sing about, he was pretty lightweight.

cooke was one of those players who was excellent whilst on loan but the moment we actually signed him predictably he turned to shite .

In the beginning of the thread I thought this is daft everyone has a different opinion or we would all be Zombies. Then I got mad when someone said Dunnie, then VK.... Now I just think it is one of the most hilarious threads ever. :-)

EDIT: I was going to say YaYa can you imagine the uproar if I had? ;-)
Don't even think about posting that one!!!

It should just be a simple case of individual posters not rating a player as highly as others do.
Not sure why anybody is getting stressed about it tbh.
If this subject causes some disharmony then I’d question why?
Of course when the names of our legends are getting thrown in it rankles a bit but anybody calling out the likes of Kompany and Aguero are often just looking for attention and should be treated as such.
Bang on. I personally think some of our players since the takeover are vastly overrated and are darlings of sections of the crowd, whereas we have others who get slaughtered for every little mistake. It is what it is.

In the beginning of the thread I thought this is daft everyone has a different opinion or we would all be Zombies. Then I got mad when someone said Dunnie, then VK.... Now I just think it is one of the most hilarious threads ever. :-)

We're all different, and some are more or less different than others. As they say, opinions are like arseholes... everybody has one.

My brother would argue long and hard that Colin Bell was hugely overrated. Never to the point that we actually fell out, but he would never concede. His argument was based on the view that working 50% harder than everyone else didn't make someone a 'great' player.

I have always had a similar view on Vincent Kompany - A very good player whose magnificent leadership skills rather than playing skills raised his stature above many others in the game. As I've said, a world class leader of men, someone who inspired others to do better.

I think the point some people have missed in this thread is that expressing the opinion that someone is overrated isn't necessarily criticism.

'World class' is a very overused, subjective rating in football. Whether it's about a performance, a goal, a save, a tackle, a pass etc... Everyone has a different idea on how 'great' or 'awful' things are. It's all about individual opinions.

We know when we open the Bluemoon forum that we're going to read a lot of nonsense. It's no more than a bit of fun. We know we won't agree with everything we read. It would be bloody boring if we did.

People should take comments on here with a pinch of salt. Just because one doesn’t agree with others doesn’t make them wrong, it just means they have a different view.

I still don’t agree with my brother about Colin Bell, but I respect his opinion. People take things far too seriously... It's just an Internet website where a few people post opinions. It's not important in the great scheme of things.

Yeah, there are a few odd opinions here, but that's precisely the point of the thread. It's quite refreshing.
I agree, a lot of people seem to forget the primary function of a forum is to exchange ideas and opinions. If we all agreed with each other there wouldn’t be any exchange of ideas.

I don’t mind people who don’t agree with me saying I’m wrong (I’m married so I’m used to it !).

We're all different, and some are more or less different than others. As they say, opinions are like arseholes... everybody has one.

My brother would argue long and hard that Colin Bell was hugely overrated. Never to the point that we actually fell out, but he would never concede. His argument was based on the view that working 50% harder than everyone else didn't make someone a 'great' player.

I have always had a similar view on Vincent Kompany - A very good player whose magnificent leadership skills rather than playing skills raised his stature above many others in the game. As I've said, a world class leader of men, someone who inspired others to do better.

I think the point some people have missed in this thread is that expressing the opinion that someone is overrated isn't necessarily criticism.

'World class' is a very overused, subjective rating in football. Whether it's about a performance, a goal, a save, a tackle, a pass etc... Everyone has a different idea on how 'great' or 'awful' things are. It's all about individual opinions.

We know when we open the Bluemoon forum that we're going to read a lot of nonsense. It's no more than a bit of fun. We know we won't agree with everything we read. It would be bloody boring if we did.

People should take comments on here with a pinch of salt. Just because one doesn’t agree with others doesn’t make them wrong, it just means they have a different view.

I still don’t agree with my brother about Colin Bell, but I respect his opinion. People take things far too seriously... It's just an Internet website where a few people post opinions. It's not important in the great scheme of things.
I dont think I’ve ever heard anyone say Colin Bell was overrated.

If you take a player like Jordan Henderson who works hard, but essentially runs around in circles , makes a load of square and backwards passes and points a lot he is, to me, the epitome of overrated. Yet he is highly rated by many and won Player of the Year, something Colin never did.

Colin Bell was a true box to box player, a brilliant passer, great with both feet and his head and a great tackler. He was the engine of the best City team I have seen (apart from the last ten years). He may not have had the magic skills of David Silva but he is still, IMO, one of the top three players to ever play for us.

Tbh I've never held Kompany in the same reverence as I did Touré, Silva, or Aguero as a pure footballer, even if I did still rate him very highly and could argue he was much more important to the team than they were at times (albeit for other valuable reasons). I've felt the same about Fernandinho and Zabaleta in the past too, even though I think very highly of them both.

I think if Kompany came today we'd see him as being a right footed version of Laporte. An excellent CB with a great passing range. But also one who gets a bit overly excited at times, can be clumsy on occasion, and makes the odd error. Although unlike Laporte we'd still be in huge admiration of Kompany's personality.

Either Schmiechel
Elder one was living off former glories, whilst the younger (throughout his career) has been the epitome of The Emporer's New Clothes

Yeh, from him.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.