Anybody spent anytime in Goa? I lived there for six months...

Well, don't get on a train in Mumbai. As for Goa it depenhow much ashore time you have. It's all beautiful so you will be fine. I have attached a trip advisor page that will give you an idea. Google taxi fare prices before you go. The taxi drivers are highway robbers and you need to let them know your not a mug.

Many an exciting exchange I had. :)

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTop...resort_close_to_cruise_port-Mormugao_Goa.html

I can't agree with you there MP. Get a good driver and you've a friend for life.
Where does a cruise ship land in Goa? I'd suspect those getting off are more likely to be charged 3 quid instead of 2 but hardly a rip off.
Taken to a rave on the beach, driver kips in tuk tuk then comes and finds you at regular intervals too make sure you're ok, then leads you back to the tuk tuk when you're off your head before taking you home. Three nicker.
I love Goa but only having a day there gives no time at all to get to grips with the place. The memories will be of rubbish and nowt else.

I can't agree with you there MP. Get a good driver and you've a friend for life.
Where does a cruise ship land in Goa? I'd suspect those getting off are more likely to be charged 3 quid instead of 2 but hardly a rip off.
Taken to a rave on the beach, driver kips in tuk tuk then comes and finds you at regular intervals too make sure you're ok, then leads you back to the tuk tuk when you're off your head before taking you home. Three nicker.
I love Goa but only having a day there gives no time at all to get to grips with the place. The memories will be of rubbish and nowt else.

I agree if you get a good driver and use him a lot you are on a winner. I'm talking about the general attitude. I was there six months so I got recognised as I took quite a few and wasn't open to the prices charged to Newbies.

I agree you need a bit of time. Once you do you realise what a braw place it is.

2vcix43.jpg

My tuk tuk driver in Sri Lanka for two weeks, what a guy. Never met someone so constantly happy.

It's always a tricky situation in these countries for me, I know that there's little point for me bargaining hard in order to save 50p that's far more important to the locals. On the other hand pride kicks, when you know you're getting taken advantage of it grates a bit.

Generally I just decide on what seems a fair price to me, rather than what the locals pay. It's still dirt cheap anyway.

2vcix43.jpg

My tuk tuk driver in Sri Lanka for two weeks, what a guy. Never met someone so constantly happy.

It's always a tricky situation in these countries for me, I know that there's little point for me bargaining hard in order to save 50p that's far more important to the locals. On the other hand pride kicks, when you know you're getting taken advantage of it grates a bit.

Generally I just decide on what seems a fair price to me, rather than what the locals pay. It's still dirt cheap anyway.

Agree with all of that.

It's not the money. It's the, I'm taking the **** out of you attitude of some.

Had to explain that a few times.

Agree with all of that.

It's not the money. It's the, I'm taking the **** out of you attitude of some.

Had to explain that a few times.

I never really came across that attitude all the times i've been. Unlike T'Egypt where every fucker with a cab try's it on.

First went to Goa sometime around '88 on me jack and dossed about with travellers for a couple of months up near Vaga. Complete tune in and drop out stuff. Went back a few times in the following years for 2/3 week jollies in Candolim (before they had a footpath on beach road) and Calangute and loved it every time.

Getting up early to sit at the roadside and watch the place wake up.
Filling up the moped at the paper shop
Calangute roundabout (one for taximania there)
Travelling on buses. MAPSA MAPSA MAPSA......
Saturday night market
People
'Come look my shop'
Stunning grub
Sports bar, Candolim- Live footy on massive outdoor screen
Paintbombed at Diwali
Spirit
Beaches and the shacks on 'em

I could go on all day. VIVA GOA...

I loved travelling on the buses. I had a flat in Arpura and would take the bus up to Calungute or the other way to Mapsa. After a while when I got one the bus people would smile and nod at me at first I thought have I met these people in a shop or something then it dawned on me. I was the only 6'3 Scottish **** to get on the bus and stood out like a 6'3" Scottish sore thumb.

Many times people would offer me their seat, which I never accepted, but was touched at their generosity.

A smile goes a long way.

I would spend a couple of hours most days at AJ's wee cafe on Calungute Main Street where a lot of Brits would hang out. I got to know them after big Tony from Doncaster took an interest in my drawings I would do whilst there.

Made a lot of friends from all over the uk and especially big Tony who helped me out when one of my cards expired as I had failed to realise it would before I left. Like a twat.

Got it sorted but being so far from home with no access to your money certainly focuses the mind.

I will return one day.

if i'm not mistaken, saint thomas, the doubter, went to goa and smoked himself silly.
upon having been told his mate jesus had come back from the dead he said,
"no chance, you lot are making shit up for money, you should be ashamed of yourselves, i'm off!"

however, having been kicked out of goa for his debts, he went south to kerala,
where, in order to fund his lifestyle, he set up a christianity church proclaiming jesus had indeed been resurrected after all,
baptising people for cash and that.

gospel truth.

I loved travelling on the buses. I had a flat in Arpura and would take the bus up to Calungute or the other way to Mapsa. After a while when I got one the bus people would smile and nod at me at first I thought have I met these people in a shop or something then it dawned on me. I was the only 6'3 Scottish **** to get on the bus and stood out like a 6'3" Scottish sore thumb.

Many times people would offer me their seat, which I never accepted, but was touched at their generosity.

A smile goes a long way.

I would spend a couple of hours most days at AJ's wee cafe on Calungute Main Street where a lot of Brits would hang out. I got to know them after big Tony from Doncaster took an interest in my drawings I would do whilst there.

Made a lot of friends from all over the uk and especially big Tony who helped me out when one of my cards expired as I had failed to realise it would before I left. Like a twat.

Got it sorted but being so far from home with no access to your money certainly focuses the mind.

I will return one day.

Fave bar on Calangute beach road was the kingfisher one on the right heading to the beach. Eye level with the road and full of characters

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.