Anyone seen the Guardian football page?

Conn is leaning dangerously towads where Colin schindler is now.

London based City fans, hardly (or never go in Schindlers case) and who happily peddle the anit-City having money agenda to please to pay masters.

He was on the Football Weekly podcast on the tuesday after we won the league and you would of thought we had been relegated with the tone of his voice. Spoke about how it was tainted and he couldnt get too excited.

He may be a good jounro, but one of us he isnt

Shows the impact of personal relationships Gary Cook was very pally with the guardian and we got fair and sometimes overenthusiastic coverage

crap since he left as they no longer have VIP acess to city staff and they didn't get the promised oil well

gaudinho's stolen car said:
Prestwich_Blue said:
David Conn does a review of all PL club's accounts about this time of year. It's not anti-City in any way, just completely factual and is one of the key feature articles for those of us interested in football finance. I can assure you that while David may have concerns over the nature of modern day football (which are mostly well-founded) as a City fan he is pretty happy with things.

We did make a record loss but most journalists haven't really got the nous to understand that it's our accelerated spending that has caused this. We will have a much higher wage bill until we get the players out that are surplus to requirements and the squad settles down. Plus amortisation will be high for a couple of years until the large number of players we've brought in in the last 3 years either leave or sign new contracts.

Then there's the other factor that most don't get which is the commercial power that our owner has. It's now seen as wise for any company that wants to do serious business in Abu Dhabi or with ADIA controlled businesses, to do some commercial sponsorhip deal with us to oil the wheels. There is going to be a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth over the next couple of years among those who claim we won't meet FFP.

I'm not sure why you back Conn so vehemently PB, he drags us down.
I don't always agree with him but I know him and understand where he's coming from. I am also largely in agreement with him over many football issues. If you want to understand what has shaped his outlook, I'd highly recommend his book "The Beautiful Game?".

There's no inconsistency or agenda. He's a City fan through and through but also questions the role of money in the game and what both he and I see as the lack of will among those responsible for running the game to ensure that this issue doesn't ruin the sport. But that's not City's problem as I see it. I am firmly of the belief that FFP shouldn't be protecting the owners like Glazer against owners like ours.

Prestwich_Blue said:
David Conn does a review of all PL club's accounts about this time of year. It's not anti-City in any way, just completely factual and is one of the key feature articles for those of us interested in football finance. I can assure you that while David may have concerns over the nature of modern day football (which are mostly well-founded) as a City fan he is pretty happy with things.

We did make a record loss but most journalists haven't really got the nous to understand that it's our accelerated spending that has caused this. We will have a much higher wage bill until we get the players out that are surplus to requirements and the squad settles down. Plus amortisation will be high for a couple of years until the large number of players we've brought in in the last 3 years either leave or sign new contracts.

Then there's the other factor that most don't get which is the commercial power that our owner has. It's now seen as wise for any company that wants to do serious business in Abu Dhabi or with ADIA controlled businesses, to do some commercial sponsorhip deal with us to oil the wheels. There is going to be a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth over the next couple of years among those who claim we won't meet FFP.
You've had a 'go' at me in the past about my view of Conn ('a go' may be over stating it, but you know what I mean).

The one thing that puzzles me PB, is why this suppposed intelligent, fair minded journo hasn't picked up on the accelerated spending element and what the likely programme for the future is? Surely if he is well respected at the Grauniad, his subbie / editor would not remove such a fairly uncontentious line (if ever he includes such) from one of his pieces?

My perception of Conn is that, whilst he may be a good writer, he picks easy targets and when given an opportunity to come out and support something positive and good, he rarely does preferring to hide behind his pay masters.

Citizen52 said:
I was a bit put out by this the other day, I know it probably seems like a minor gripe but what does any of this story have to do with us?

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18156868" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18156868</a>

It just engrains us into people's heads when there is no need to at all.

I agree with your comments of the PSG opening. Unbelievable.

Funny how we've not heard many going on about how Chelsea 'bought' success last week? Had that been City then that would have been the lead story.

Having said that I'm hopeful that within 5 years everyone will have forgotten that City spent so much. By that time we'll be buying at the same rate as others looking for success.

In my new history book I go into quite a lot of detail about the last few years and I've made a prediction that in about ten years City will be held up as a good example of how football clubs should be run. I hope all those who criticise City's spending accept that it was the only way City could play catch-up.

The real people who are to blame for the financial issues in football are those that were prepared to spend big amounts (£28m/£30m) in 2002 & 2003 when neither City nor Chelsea could compete. Only 1 British club could afford those sums back then - I wonder why they never asked for control when they were the only ones with money?

Racist bastard media...Fuck the lot of them I say from now on.!!

Long live HRH.Sheikh Mansour<br /><br />-- Thu May 24, 2012 5:20 pm --<br /><br />
Prestwich_Blue said:
gaudinho's stolen car said:
Prestwich_Blue said:

I'm not sure why you back Conn so vehemently PB, he drags us down.
I don't always agree with him but I know him and understand where he's coming from. I am also largely in agreement with him over many football issues. If you want to understand what has shaped his outlook, I'd highly recommend his book "The Beautiful Game?".

There's no inconsistency or agenda. He's a City fan through and through but also questions the role of money in the game and what both he and I see as the lack of will among those responsible for running the game to ensure that this issue doesn't ruin the sport. But that's not City's problem as I see it. I am firmly of the belief that FFP shouldn't be protecting the owners like Glazer against owners like ours.

PB-I suppose you will say Irani is a friend of City next!

Conn is a twat alongdie Custis,Smyth,Holt,Matt Scott etc etc...need I go on.

They are dredging up old shit which we knew about 7 months ago but because we are owned by a muslim it seems the media cannot accept it in any way shape or form. It is like they associate all muslims with terrorism. The media in this country are a disgrace and I for one cannot wait until we no longer have newspapers!

Gary James said:
Funny how we've not heard many going on about how Chelsea 'bought' success last week? Had that been City then that would have been the lead story.

Strange as it may seem, if you browse the threads about city on the chelsea forums, it won't take you long to find Chelsea fans who think we are the media darlings and our money is never mentioned. Unlike theirs, which according to them, they are reminded of every day in the media.

Skashion said:
It's the fucking Guardian. Anything those cunts write is bound to be shite.

After 6 months-a post from Skash that I can agree with.Wonders will never cease. I have noticed recently that the guardian has become really anti city. Fuck knows why. I rarely read the media anymore however the only journalist I really rate is Martin Samuel

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.