Anyone shed any light on....

Apart from diving in once against N'Zogbia and not winning the ball I thought Kolarov had a good game, won everything in the air and played some nice passes forward. He's fine against teams who rely on brute strength and don't have the guile to strech us.

danny123 said:
When we played in the Champions League group games, we started with Kolarov and Zabaleta and I know at the time, many people were crying out for why Richards and Clichy didn't start those games. It was definitely possible for Zab and Kolarov to play in the Premier League games before the Champions League game and then play Micah and Clichy in the CL games. I feel that Mancini has now recognised this and due to playing Porto on Thursday, we will now play our strongest full backs which will make us look better in my opinion.

Good post I think you maybe right. I also appreciate with the previous poster that he may have played Kolarov today because Villa doesn't have a recognised winger. However I still think it was a calculated risk playing our weaker left back.

It annoys me.We are a far better,more fluid and threatening side with our first choice fullbacks as they are simply better footballers and offer us far more creative options.

Had they played,our goal difference could have improved by a greater margin and i would have some fingernails left .....

FantasyIreland said:
It annoys me.We are a far better,more fluid and threatening side with our first choice fullbacks as they are simply better footballers and offer us far more creative options.

Had they played,our goal difference could have improved by a greater margin and i would have some fingernails left .....

Not 100% sure if we have first choice full backs! Most might think it's Micah and Clichy but the manager has rung the changes so often it's not easy to tell.

I assume he changes them as they do so much work up and down the line (more than other positions?) and he thinks they need resting but maybe it's not just that and he plays the ones he thinks are best suited to the opposition.Or are they all as good as each other in their roles

Nelly's Left Foot said:
FantasyIreland said:

Not 100% sure if we have first choice full backs! Most might think it's Micah and Clichy but the manager has rung the changes so often it's not easy to tell.

I assume he changes them as they do so much work up and down the line (more than other positions?) and he thinks they need resting but maybe it's not just that and he plays the ones he thinks are best suited to the opposition.Or are they all as good as each other in their roles

Thats my point - we should have,and they are Richards and Clichy.

It's cost us dear already this season.

FantasyIreland said:

Had they played,our goal difference could have improved by a greater margin and i would have some fingernails left .....[/quote

Stating Clichy is better defensively than Kolarov is fair enough. But creatively. Clichy doesn't offer a fraction offensively in comparison to Kolarov.

dctid said:
citymad said:
why Kolarov was chosen instead of Clichy ? Zabba for Micah i can sort've understand because both are decent full backs but the difference in quality between C and K is pretty obvious. I can only think it was because Clichy was carrying a knock. I know Nasri had injured his groin last week so he was used sparingly. Overall though I though the midfield was a safe choice, both Nige and Barry did an outstanding job in breaking up play to allow Silva to roam about and rule the roost. Obviously Bobby got it right in the end because we won but I cant get my head around this rotation for left back.

Rotation

The reason we have had few injuries this season is because of Manvini's rotation policy
Nasri did not start because he was unwell

Gotta keep the squad happy and rely on the big players to pull you through - Rags have been doing it for years. Personally the "we get better in the second half of the season" is bollocks - Rags have always had a decent and large squad so when injuries / tiredness or whatever starts kicking in as the new year starts they are able to replace quality players with quality players - many other teams aint so for me its not that the rags get better its the fact that many many teams get worse because they are unable to replace players with similar quality.

Its a squad game

I think you're spot on with this. I have been thinking for some time that our injury list has been lower because of rotation.

And despite the experts all questioning how RM could keep everybody happy with this policy, he seems to be doing a pretty good job of it.

don't understand it myself but we won so can't complain.

i really hope he doesn't pla clichy and richads vs porto but i suspect he will.

Never mind the full backs. Why didn't he go with two up top against a very poor villa side? I know we won but it should have been a comfortable win.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.