Are City bad at selling?

Pretty sure it's going to be another Summer of selling at low prices or loans. Be surprised if we get over £60m for Mangala, Nasri, Hart, Bony, Nolito and Fernando combined, everyone knows we don't want them, most are getting on a bit and are all on high wages.

Without wishing to get my nose all brown, if you can't be arsed reading an article by one of City's best writers this forum must be a depressing place for you......

Wipe your nose. ;)

I did read it as I always do when I see it's a Stephen Tudor article.

That has absolutely no bearing on what I said though.

For me you can't look at the selling side of things in isolation. It's also related to the fact we often initially overpaid for some players and also the massive wages they're on.

Also, i think it's unfair to judge the fees we're generating for players we obviously need to offload with the fees other clubs are getting for players who they don't want to offload. It's a nice problem to have. We're pretty lucky that the likes of Kompany, Zabaleta, Aguero, Silva and Toure (though he had a good try) haven't forced moves away. We've held onto our best players when they've been at their peak, something which other clubs have struggled to do. It's pretty impressive really. Our selling record could have been better but it would have meant losing some of our best players. Everyone cites Daniel Levy as some kind of genius but let's see how much he'd have got for Javi Garcia and Jack Rodwell! Paulinho bought for £17m and sold for £9.9m. Soldado, bought for £26m and sold for £10m. The root cause of bad selling is often bad buying.

Wrote something for Unibet on why I believe City have a poor track record at selling players and why this might be a pivotal summer to prove we're no longer a soft touch.

http://bet.unibet.co.uk/football/pr...e-they-are-no-longer-soft-touch-and-get-value

Thoughts really appreciated!

I don't think City will make much money from selling young players whilst the gap between academy and first team is so big. If you are going for titles, you can't put a young player from the U21s into the first team and see how he does. Spurs and Utd did that but they are in different positions. It remains to be seen what effect loans to other clubs and Girona might have. Signs that will generate transfers eg Mooy, and Roberts.

Easy to read your article but I wasn't sure about the phrases: constant back-and-to. mediation table in the opening paragraphs.

For me you can't look at the selling side of things in isolation. It's also related to the fact we often initially overpaid for some players and also the massive wages they're on.

Also, i think it's unfair to judge the fees we're generating for players we obviously need to offload with the fees other clubs are getting for players who they don't want to offload. It's a nice problem to have. We're pretty lucky that the likes of Kompany, Zabaleta, Aguero, Silva and Toure (though he had a good try) haven't forced moves away. We've held onto our best players when they've been at their peak, something which other clubs have struggled to do. It's pretty impressive really. Our selling record could have been better but it would have meant losing some of our best players. Everyone cites Daniel Levy as some kind of genius but let's see how much he'd have got for Javi Garcia and Jack Rodwell! Paulinho bought for £17m and sold for £9.9m. Soldado, bought for £26m and sold for £10m. The root cause of bad selling is often bad buying.

You stole my post, lol.

Well, if you're bad at buying, this (bad selling) is a logical consequence. Pretty much deterministic...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.