Are the Uber British DUP, the antithesis of 2017 British values?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Magicpole, 5 Dec 2017.

1. Magicpole

Magicpole

Low Intelligence Officer
    https://www.theguardian.com/politic...-heres-six-dup-policies-you-should-know-about

With the batshit policies of the DUP, anti gay marriage, creationist inspired climate deniers, anti abortion, sectarian intolerance, it seems to me the Britain they claim to dearly love, bares no resemblance to the type of society they want.

They are stuck in a less tolerant past and think by flying the flag from every rooftop that this makes them more british.

Does it though?

Would anyone in the UK want a society based upon their evangelical, hard line Protestant 17th Century values? Where everyday is the 12th of July?

They now are using the power daft arse gave them to keep her in office to potentially derail the best Brexit deal.

We are trying to get an agreement re the Irish border post Brexit. Are we to allow a party so out of touch and backward socially, economically, globally because God will fix it, to dictate how the rest of us currently living in the 21st century progress?

I have no doubt that many DUP voters don't agree with many of their 17th century, biblical social stances. They vote on the religious divide, but regardless of that, 10 MP's who wouldn't get anywhere near a seat in Parliament here, due to their utter shite world view, hold us to ransom.

Does anybody actually believe they represent current British values. And if so, could you point them out.

They live in a past we all want shot of.

Or do we?

2. blue b4 the moon

blue b4 the moon

Recently became a man of leisure.
    Don't know but whatever people's political persuasion it's a case for never having PR.

Brexit issue is a pure case if the tail wagging the dog.

3. tshirtman

tshirtman

How many cabinet positions does the DUP have?
    this is nowhere near PR, this is a supply & demand arrangement.

The Tory/Lib Dem coalition was more of a PR administration, and that worked well, although maybe not so well for lying Nick Clegg.

4. chabal

chabal

FPTP has delivered 2 coalitions in 3 elections.

Not sure how PR could be much worse.

5. Mike D

Mike D

It's a sign of the shit that you are in when you are dealing with the DUP to make a sensible decision.
    [​IMG]

Arlene is really pulling the strings right now and would love and wants a hard border which would divide Ireland and take away the re-unification or Ireland. Any special deal would open that debate and come hell or high water the DUP will block any attempt at it. So right now we are what is technically known as totally fucked. I wouldn't be surprised to see another GE early in the new year because unless May is going to concede on staying in the customs union for the whole of the UK not just Ireland which won't go down well with the head banger element in her party the GE is next.

6. gordondaviesmoustache

gordondaviesmoustache

That's right, man; I got in
    I can't speak for the rest of the country, but they are pretty much the antithesis of everything I believe in. Fucking weirdos.

7. ganganvince

ganganvince

Production supervisor
    No party can deliver a solution which suits all in NI only workable solution for Brexit is full re unification but that is un pallatable. The promise was at the referendum that we would just go back to how things were before EU membership think they missed a trick with Ireland I don't want a return to those days thank ou

8. Ifwecouldjust.......

Ifwecouldjust.......

they actually want line dancing banned as well........

9. Mad Eyed Screamer

Mad Eyed Screamer

What we need is an alternative Ulster.

10. AlexWilliamsGloves

AlexWilliamsGloves

Try living here with them!!!

If only they were fighting for what the majority of NI want re. Brexit