Are we going to see the end of Season Tickets?

shemnel

I am referring mainly to the top, most popular clubs in the Premier League.

It seems to me that Season Tickets are something of an anachronism in modern football for these clubs - getting to see every game for a reduced price when you have tens of thousands on various waiting lists.

All the top clubs offer memberships, at varying price tiers, simply allowing you the ability to purchase a ticket in a scrum with tens of thousands of others. Member numbers, whilst in no doubt affected by quality on the pitch, are also hyped/increased by social media presence, globalism and branding. Season ticket numbers, in the main, have stayed stationary with prices creeping ever upwards. As a United fan said to me recently, "it now costs me over £50 a game on my season ticket".

TeamCapacity (approx)ST holders (est. in 2022)
Manchester City53,00036,000
Manchester United74,00053,000
Arsenal60,00045,000
Liverpool54,000 (now 60,000)27,000 (now 28,000)now 1,000 more with expansion
Tottenham Hotspur62,00045,000

When the Glazers took over United, they are said to have been shocked at how little the average fan spent on matchday, compared to American sport. Why would someone who spends every other Saturday at the ground spend time dining there or spending money in hotels? you turn up, watch the match and go to the pub.

It is this which has sparked a revolution in fan commoditizing, and City are certainly doing very well at it. Who would you prefer, economically; the cheapest season ticket holder who turns up and leaves, or a family/group of mates who go to about 5 games a season and really push the boat out. The average spend per match of these attendees is hugely different, the latter burns through money.

With that money in mind, in our 'experience' culture as people look to own less and 'do more', why would a club hierarchy want supporters spending their hard earned in the Northern Quarter or Soho or Matthews St? You want them at the ground in the affiliated bars and restaurants, staying over in the hotels. Ticket prices reflect a waiting list of 100k, City charging north of £60 for Burnley at home.

It will be interesting to see just how many extra ST holders City add with the North Stand expansion, but my guess is not many at all. In football, the economics of fan spending and matchday income has always lagged strangely behind the success of the TV and sponsorship deals, but this is changing; 10 years ago matchday revenue was about 10% of all Premier League clubs' income, that rose to 14% post pandemic and is set to rise further. Given general turnover is increasing, the average punter is paying out a lot more, and this cannot be generated through small increments to season tickets. I predict ST numbers will begin to decrease, relatively, in a few years time and prices will push right up.

Fans are the lifeblood of football, without them football is nothing. Covid saw a soulless edition of the league system with an ironic twist in that the free to air games hooked more people on to pay-per-view services. But they are also the cash cow, and we're being milked for every penny.

Last edited:
Remember reading somewhere where someone predicted that stadiums would eventually just be corporate guests with the average fan sat at home pay per gaming on TV.

Thought that sounded mad

Not that far off the way of thinking now

Whether the top people at clubs care about their hardcore fans or just know it’s wise to appear to care, is probably irrelevant.

But even in extreme cases like at United, where they don’t seem overly concerned what the fans think of them, there’s still an element of having to appease the most loyal fans.

I can certainty see a situation where season ticket holders aren’t replaced on a greater scale at the most in demand grounds.

But I’ll be amazed if any club ever says to even one long term season ticket holder that they’re not going to be allowed to renew.

Season tickets for the "atmosphere" sections, e.g. South Stand Level 1. The club realise that they are part of the attraction for the casual attending supporter (customer).

I expect that once the hotel, the restaurants, the bars etc are built the club will sell the "full package" tickets and take business away from current package agents. Or more likely get those agents to sell on behalf of the club.

This is a great strategy, as in financially, while you're successful as a club, but if the good times end - then so does your support and consequently you're back to begging the 'loyal' supporters to return.
a good point. I can foresee 'limited' deals, such as 2 year STs or some such. Lifer tickets at reduced rates are very incongruent with modern football (in my eyes).

I think they'll just wait until all us gold season ticket holders die out and not replace them. Am I right in saying you can't get gold ones now anyway, just silver ones?

Remember reading somewhere where someone predicted that stadiums would eventually just be corporate guests with the average fan sat at home pay per gaming on TV.

Thought that sounded mad

Not that far off the way of thinking now
10 years time football will be completely different.
Look how it's changed in the last 10 years

10 years time football will be completely different.
Look how it's changed in the last 10 years
Yep; it's not the same game I grew up watching in the 70s and 80s. I'm rapidly falling out of love with it, even allowing for the wonderful teams we've been blessed with during the last decade or so. Not sure if I'll be bothering coming over any more. With flights and hotels it's impossible to justify spending upwards of €300 to watch a single game.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.