Arsenal v City (Community Shield) Post Match Thread

Positives
Navas, Silva, Clichy and Jovetic looked ready for the season.
I thought Yaya put in more effort than he got credit for.
Kolarov and Dzeko were their normal selves so not worried.
Fernando is a fantastic passer of the ball from the DM position.
Zuculini will get some playing time.

Negatives
We got beat badly, and didn't start playing until about 25 minutes in.
Fernando overlapped a little too much.
Nasri is off the pace, or perhaps it's that playing Arsenal problem again.
Either way, I'd start Navas over him.
We have 3 to 4 starters who haven't played yet. Perhaps 5 if Mangala is purchased.
Micah has regressed greatly.
Arsenal is sharp and deep. If they start out like they did last year, they are deep enough this year to withstand the injury fizzle.

Conclusions
Poor performance in a friendly.
Poor level of creativity when Silva is absent.
And defense is still shaky. Albeit the starters have not played yet on defense.

Personal feelings:
I still think we are short on creativity. Especially when Silva isn't playing. He wouldn't play every game this season, so I worry about when he Is absent.
Still think we should have added Sanchez. But water under the bridge
Hope we get Mangala for options, but have faith in the CB position as is.

MeatnSpudsMCFC said:
Our best 11 is great, however, injuries and bans will happen... And when they do, that's when we fall apart. It happened last season.

There is way too much deadwood. Especially when it comes to defending.

When exactly did we fall apart last season? Oh yeah must have been when we lost our bottle and failed to win the Premier League title!!!! Nope that was Liverpool and Chelsea!
FFS people stop flapping and foaming. This is going to be another incredibly tough and close title race - we will be in the thick of it I'm sure. Hey if we make sure we don't fall apart AGAIN we might even win it!!!

i'll tell you one thing. you have to give credit to the gloryhunting rags. i wouldn't have the energy or the money to traipse 200 miles to a game every week like those cunts do. or did. that weather, and thought i could have sat with a beer at home made our performance even worse. as i said in another thread, last trip down there for a friendly. no blame on the manager, the player we wanted were not available and the ones that played were dogshit.

Said it before and I'll say it again. Piss poor team selection contributed to a shit performance and shit day. Still can't get my head around, every single World Cup player has played some minutes of football apart from ours. What the fuck I a pellegrini worried about. Felt sorry for the fans yesterday.

Well, I've had a great weekend. The only downside was not winning. I thought the makeshift team we put out wasn't too bad, they've not really played together before properly so what did we expect? Wasn't overly impressed with the goalkeeper but we've got Joe Hart. Apart from getting soaked in the sudden torrential downpour the weather was great. When it comes around next season I'll be back. It will be City at Wembley so bring them on!

And today I leave London travelling First class because I booked very, very early as it was CITY AT WEMBLEY!!! I've waited years for this & I'm going to keep on enjoying CITY AT WEMBLEY!! Plus every other match City play!

Just my humble two pen'north!!! :-)

I don't really understand the point of yesterday. The team we put out was very likely on to a hiding as many here predicted before a ball was kicked.

Did we really need to bring Richards on to confirm he's not the player he once was? I thought we'd done that already. And Rodwell. It was a bit like the Liverpool or Olympiacos games where we looked like we really couldn't be arsed and didn't mind losing at all.

And "somehow" it's all magically going to snap into place and we'll be brilliant next weekend. Well if we do, then great but can anyone really be surprised if we don't? It's hardly textbook preparation is it.

Eccles Blue said:
Well, I've had a great weekend. The only downside was not winning. I thought the makeshift team we put out wasn't too bad, they've not really played together before properly so what did we expect? Wasn't overly impressed with the goalkeeper but we've got Joe Hart. Apart from getting soaked in the sudden torrential downpour the weather was great. When it comes around next season I'll be back. It will be City at Wembley so bring them on!

And today I leave London travelling First class because I booked very, very early as it was CITY AT WEMBLEY!!! I've waited years for this & I'm going to keep on enjoying CITY AT WEMBLEY!! Plus every other match City play!

Just my humble two pen'north!!! :-)

Respect....words from a True Blue.

Dax777 said:
Positives
Navas, Silva, Clichy and Jovetic looked ready for the season.
1) I thought Yaya put in more effort than he got credit for.
Kolarov and Dzeko were their normal selves so not worried.
2)Fernando is a fantastic passer of the ball from the DM position.
Zuculini will get some playing time.

Negatives
We got beat badly, and didn't start playing until about 25 minutes in.
Fernando overlapped a little too much.
Nasri is off the pace, or perhaps it's that playing Arsenal problem again.
Either way, I'd start Navas over him.
We have 3 to 4 starters who haven't played yet. Perhaps 5 if Mangala is purchased.
Micah has regressed greatly.
Arsenal is sharp and deep. If they start out like they did last year, they are deep enough this year to withstand the injury fizzle.

Conclusions
Poor performance in a friendly.
3)Poor level of creativity when Silva is absent.
4)And defense is still shaky. Albeit the starters have not played yet on defense.

Personal feelings:
I still think we are short on creativity. Especially when Silva isn't playing. He wouldn't play every game this season, so I worry about when he Is absent.
Still think we should have added Sanchez. But water under the bridge
Hope we get Mangala for options, but have faith in the CB position as is.

I agree with a lot of what you say.

1) Yaya's passing was a bit off too. Hopefully that is down to match sharpness but City should be looking for a long term successor for next season
2) He needs to read a bit better b/c his acceleration is low. He can be pacy and recover if he has space but in his first few yards he looks lumbered. Hopefully also down to match sharpness/new league although he did play in all the friendlies I think.
3) Also agree, and especially in a game where thing are going against us we cannot rely on Nasri alone. I don't think though that we would bring in another AM like Isco this season and the only way we might see him next season is if Jovetic leaves (Nasri has just signed for 5 years so might be difficult to offload him, but I assume txiki trusts him and so that should be good enough). Edit: too early to say, but maybe Marcos Lopes can be the future instead of Isco. Replaces Milner, provide similar work rate and versatility but with greater creativity).
4) Yep, and that is why we need Mangala/new CB and have set aside 32 million for him rather than spending that amount on a player like Sanchez.

In addition, I think we need more pace. Aguero and Navas are our only real pacy players in the front 6,with only Aguero a starter/world class player, and although Yaya and Fernandinho do provide drive too, we need 1 more, preferably someone who can start (though again, not necessarily this season).

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.