Arsenal v City (Community Shield) Post Match Thread

Chippy_boy said:
de niro said:
mancity1 said:
Some distinction between attitude and player personnel to be made I would suggest but you do get the impression that a full strength side and that same attitude and the result would be fairly similar.

When you strip away skill what is above the shoulders is what is left and its above the shoulders that more often than not determines the result.

Even if you look at the two sides on Sunday player for player we weren't that far behind in the skill set stakes but in the head there was serious gap in Arsenal's favour.

The result didn't concern me as much as the attitude in the first half.

All to blame but Yaya was in one of those walkabout moments.

when the better players see who they are lining up with they think "whats the point" and it showed this on sunday. the newcastle game will see a very different city and a very different yaya.

You hope.

Whatever the importance or irrelevance of Sunday, it is unarguable that perfect preparation is NOT getting spanked 3-0 and then a week later, for Newcastle away, we start 5 or 6 players who haven't played a game for over a month.

It's amateurish preparation for a very difficult start to a new season. If we get away with it and start strongly, then great. If we don't, can anyone really be surprised? I hope to be proven wrong, but I expect will be dog rough for the first few games and will drop stupid points that could and should have been avoided.

that's the spirit

BringBackSwales said:
Chippy_boy said:
de niro said:
when the better players see who they are lining up with they think "whats the point" and it showed this on sunday. the newcastle game will see a very different city and a very different yaya.

You hope.

Whatever the importance or irrelevance of Sunday, it is unarguable that perfect preparation is NOT getting spanked 3-0 and then a week later, for Newcastle away, we start 5 or 6 players who haven't played a game for over a month.

It's amateurish preparation for a very difficult start to a new season. If we get away with it and start strongly, then great. If we don't, can anyone really be surprised? I hope to be proven wrong, but I expect will be dog rough for the first few games and will drop stupid points that could and should have been avoided.

that's the spirit

Don't confuse support and optimism with realism. I will support us as much as the next man, and I am optimistic that we will get off to a flying start. But realistically, we are not well prepared, given the tough start.

Chippy_boy said:
BringBackSwales said:
Chippy_boy said:
You hope.

that's the spirit

Don't confuse support and optimism with realism. I will support us as much as the next man, and I am optimistic that we will get off to a flying start. But realistically, we are not well prepared, given the tough start.

...and don't confuse "I expect will be dog rough for the first few games and will drop stupid points that could and should have been avoided" with optimism

BringBackSwales said:
Chippy_boy said:
BringBackSwales said:
that's the spirit

...and don't confuse "I expect will be dog rough for the first few games and will drop stupid points that could and should have been avoided" with optimism

Hmmmmm. Fair comment.

It's fair to say, arsenal were definitely the better team on the day. Admittedly we did have a few key players missing, but we should not have been beaten 3-0.
Hopefully we will destroy them in the league where it matters and cups if we meet.

Chippy_boy said:
BringBackSwales said:
Chippy_boy said:

Hmmmmm. Fair comment.

Thanks, and might I just say that is a very reasonable response for on here

Hopefully same as last season, Arsenal to win the league in Feb, Chelsea to win it in March, Liverpool to win it in April and City to win it in May

Chippy_boy said:

Are you actually for real?

You're sat on an internet forum suggesting that a billion pound organisation is going into the new league campaign with "amateurish preparation".

I realise everyone's entitled to an opinion, but surely to shit even if you have one functioning brain cell you know what you've posted is just pure unadulterated knee jerk garbage.

Also so we're clear EVERY team will drop points THROUGHOUT the season. This is the nature of a league season. Even the "invincibles" of Arsenal in actual fact dropped points.

It is a fascinating insight into the psyche of a lot of City supporters that whilst every August is a positive bastion of self belief and excitement for the supporters of other top clubs, we're still stuck in this quagmire of negative horseshit. Was the same last summer as well.

Again, we're the champions. Have a squad bulging with talent. Have a spine who's professionalism is beyond reproach. Have owners who are turning us into a global force. Is it possible some of you can see your way clear to enjoy this moment, or at the very fucking least, let others enjoy without turning Bluemoon literally into a boring Bluemoan wank fest of tragic proportions.

Sorry Chippy, needed to get that off my chest. :)

Mister Appointment said:
Chippy_boy said:

Are you actually for real?

You're sat on an internet forum suggesting that a billion pound organisation is going into the new league campaign with "amateurish preparation".

I realise everyone's entitled to an opinion, but surely to shit even if you have one functioning brain cell you know what you've posted is just pure unadulterated knee jerk garbage.

Also so we're clear EVERY team will drop points THROUGHOUT the season. This is the nature of a league season. Even the "invincibles" of Arsenal in actual fact dropped points.

It is a fascinating insight into the psyche of a lot of City supporters that whilst every August is a positive bastion of self belief and excitement for the supporters of other top clubs, we're still stuck in this quagmire of negative horseshit. Was the same last summer as well.

Again, we're the champions. Have a squad bulging with talent. Have a spine who's professionalism is beyond reproach. Have owners who are turning us into a global force. Is it possible some of you can see your way clear to enjoy this moment, or at the very fucking least, let others enjoy without turning Bluemoon literally into a boring Bluemoan wank fest of tragic proportions.

Sorry Chippy, needed to get that off my chest. :)

Have to agree with the sentiment (though not aimed a Chippy). Seem a lot of morose people that only see the negative.
We win 4 - 0 and ffs that was shit should have been 8.

I think it's pretty obvious our key players aren't 100% ready to go this season. But why would they be. We could completely burn them out following last seasons exploits and the World Cup. It was priority to give them a rest ahead of another hopefully lengthy season, fighting on all fronts. If we can integrate Kompany or Demichelis alongside Nastasic. If we can start Silva and maybe bring Fernandinho in for 45 mins, then we should be able to beat Newcastle, who have several new players and will be learning to play together. We have a solid base and can gradually integrate players.

Arsenal were 100% ready to play with CL knockout, we are nowhere near that. But it is more important to keep our players fit and injury free than it is rush them back for one game at the start of the season. As long as they step up training this week then we should be able to put out a pretty good side and get better and better. It is a tough start but playing big teams gets another level of performance because you know the game will be tough. Playing a Stoke or Sunderland can lead to complacency. We have some really tough games to start the season, nowhere better to learn than to throw the new players in at the deep end. Liverpool and Chelsea have added a lot of players and will have to adapt. Arsenal will get off to a good start I would imagine. Like I say their cup final is for the CL and they will tail off then their players are run into the ground come March. Happens everytime. Arsenal will win the league when they have a season without a CL playoff.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.