Article 50/Brexit Negotiations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are there not member states struggling now ?, how will Italy or Spain as examples handle even a small trade reduction, what will happen to Portugal's fishing industry income when the fishing grounds revert to us ( Or they have to pay us to use them), what they face in the immediate future is compounded by the yanks wanting them to meet the 2% NATO budget commitment and almost certainly an increase in membership fee`s of the EU to make up the shortfall of our contributions.

This is what is missed so much - maybe because people do not want to consider that the EU has weaknesses and the UK strengths.

There are so many EU nations struggling and they could not take much of a hit - either on loss of revenue (trade) or increases in costs (contributions) - they could be facing both if the negotiations do not go well.

I agree with Damocles' post earlier that the majority of the UK will not feel that much pain - because there will be a negotiated settlement. But this can only be to the UK's good if our negotiating team are allowed to negotiate without 'one hand tied behind their back'.

Even Merkel must be 'bricking it' - because the 25 will look to the 1 or 2 to take on the burden of the pain - and Germany cannot afford it and they have elections coming up.

The UK offering substantial funding for 5 - 10 years - but on conditions that we set out with regard trade etc. will become majorly attractive - but only once the risk of how far up shit creek they will be without it dawns on the EU members - all they have heard so far is Juncker's and Barnier's positioning statements.

Last edited:
No matter how much money has come from the EU to the UK - including farming subsidies - it has always only ever been part of OUR money sent there in the first place.

Therefore the UK always has the option of continuing the current subsidy regime until a better one is devised - one that is better for the UK rather than France etc.

This is a very simplistic way of looking at it. Many on here believe that we give X and get back less than that in monetary terms Y. This is not true, we have absolutely no idea if the result of our membership directly creates jobs, trade and investment resulting far in excess of the amount we give the EU.

The government has not guaranteed any funding whatsoever so to simply say all of these subsidies will be replaced by an equivalent on the exact same terms is not possible.

We have a net deficit of the order of trillions and given the chance do you really believe this government will not look to chip away at funding arrangements?

3360c94cc553599b7e92f8a6d41f2cf2fdd2caa354a047b0ec4718dfc401a066.jpg

Article 50 signed.

Excellently explained - although I bet you do not get a Remain reply thanking you for providing facts that addressed their lack of understanding
You didn't see the Countryfile programme, did you? It was a pathetically shallow treatment of the issue. After watching it, I think I knew less than I did before about what subsidies if any farmers will get after Brexit. Still, the guy in New Zealand was quite chipper about what happened there after the government withdrew all farming subsidies, once they'd got over all the farms that went bust and all the farmers who committed suicide. (For some reason they didn't interview any of the latter.)

Last edited:
That trade is trade carried out by almost everyone on a daily basis, scale does not alter the principles, where on earth do I say you know nothing about economics ?.

Are there not member states struggling now ?, how will Italy or Spain as examples handle even a small trade reduction, what will happen to Portugal's fishing industry income when the fishing grounds revert to us ( Or they have to pay us to use them), what they face in the immediate future is compounded by the yanks wanting them to meet the 2% NATO budget commitment and almost certainly an increase in membership fee`s of the EU to make up the shortfall of our contributions.

I posted supporting your point. it was aimed at those who argued the pain would be spread equally.

Then read my post again, it breaks it down to trades core elements, people do not need a degree in economics to understand what they do in every day life, for all the bullshite it boils down to people wanting to buy or sell all be it on a larger scale.

The EU will continue to fish where they want and there will be fuck all we can do.
We have 6 destroyers, 6, 2 of which are out of commission at the moment.
We are defenceless at sea.

that ewnYou didn't see the Countryfile programme, did you? It was a pathetically shallow treatment of the issue. After watching it, I think I knew less than I did before about what subsidies if any farmers will get after Brexit. Still, the guy in New Zealand was quite chipper about what happened there after the government withdrew all farming subsidies, once they'd got over all the farms that went bust and all the farmers who committed suicide. (For some reason they didn't interview any of the latter.)
At least Farage has reassured us that he will fuck off abroad if Brexit is a disaster, so it's not all doom and gloom!

The EU will continue to fish where they want and there will be fuck all we can do.
We have 6 destroyers, 6, 2 of which are out of commission at the moment.
We are defenceless at sea.
Destroyers are a little overkill I'd leave them as anti aircraft ships, could use the frigates but they're anti submarine... Oh I know let's use the Fishery Protection Squadron seeing as it's their job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.