'As A City Fan', Would You Like To See Safe Standing Introduced At The Etihad?

I thought I read somewhere that they are no longer objecting to it.
I thought they were steadfast against it for all the obvious (and nonsensical) reasons. They hinted that it would denigrate te names of those that died that day and that the club should never consider it again. That may have changed, but I’ve not seen or heard it. I can never understand how we, as fans, just let this happen: it was never mandated by anyone that there should be all seater stadia, it was only ever a recommendation. And the clubs, collectively said, “Kerrching!” and we got royally fu cked over. How is it safe for rugby/lower tier games / concert goers to stand, rammed, yet, come 3pm on a Premier League Saturday, all that goes out the window and we plod merrily to our seats? Utter money-making bullshit. I’d love to see standing. I just don’t see it happening.

We are not against it.

Like many other clubs we are waiting for further developments when they happen.

I thought they were steadfast against it for all the obvious (and nonsensical) reasons. They hinted that it would denigrate te names of those that died that day and that the club should never consider it again. That may have changed, but I’ve not seen or heard it. I can never understand how we, as fans, just let this happen: it was never mandated by anyone that there should be all seater stadia, it was only ever a recommendation. And the clubs, collectively said, “Kerrching!” and we got royally fu cked over. How is it safe for rugby/lower tier games / concert goers to stand, rammed, yet, come 3pm on a Premier League Saturday, all that goes out the window and we plod merrily to our seats? Utter money-making bullshit. I’d love to see standing. I just don’t see it happening.

I can't remember where I heard it, but I have had it in my head that they were once the main obstacle (fucking ridiculous that they could dictate to people when their own fans actually stand at games & indeed have stood on terracing) & had decided to stop opposing it, so therefore, nothing is stopping it other than if poiticians want to cover their arses.

Safe standing is the only thing that will improve the atmosphere at games, bringing in cheaper access to fans aged 18-25. Better atmosphere equals better spectacle and product for the Premier League to sell for TV rights. The way that games are policed and managed is a far cry from the days of Hillsborough and Valley Parade.

It's a yes from me. I like to jump up and down when we score without hurting my shins on the seats. Standing up in seating areas is bloody dangerous !

Safe standing is the only thing that will improve the atmosphere at games, bringing in cheaper access to fans aged 18-25. Better atmosphere equals better spectacle and product for the Premier League to sell for TV rights. The way that games are policed and managed is a far cry from the days of Hillsborough and Valley Parade.

This.

Yes but what if a midget gets stood behind a giant?

I think there should be a section for it really, one large enough to make a difference in atmosphere. As long as people understand it's not for everyone and those that do go there are expected to make that difference or it's all for nothing, none of that choosing the section to "soak in the atmosphere" while adding nothing to it.

Last edited:
I can't remember where I heard it, but I have had it in my head that they were once the main obstacle (fucking ridiculous that they could dictate to people when their own fans actually stand at games & indeed have stood on terracing) & had decided to stop opposing it, so therefore, nothing is stopping it other than if poiticians want to cover their arses.
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...-safe-standing-rail-seating-spirit-of-shankly

Overwhelmingly in favour

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.