'As A City Fan', Would You Like To See Safe Standing Introduced At The Etihad?

unless already asked -how many did Celtic Park increase by when they got safe standing?. Their capacity seems to be 60,000 atm.

The stadium capacity did not increase. The need to ensure safety means that unless you extend the area and remove seats it's difficult to achieve without someone claiming it's unsafe.

I have read through the posts and it's a misconception to think people will be forced to stand. They may be reallocated a seat, but I didn't notice an uproar.

It gives choice to enjoy the game the way you want. It gives particularly younger men and women the chance people of my generation took for granted.

It does improve the atmosphere. They can lift the whole stadium when you need it. Games can be quiet at times and for me there is nothing worse than visiting fans singing the whole game and no concerted effort to out sing them.

What it would take is a group if fans, we have 3,000 standing, approaching the club to seek backing for it. Every fan who fancied this could show if there is demand. If you got say 3-5,000 wanting to do it thus would make the experience of a game better for those of us who just watch them.

We have 5% of fans in the standing section who help to create the atmosphere and the rest join in.

If I were City I would first test if there is the numbers to buy the season tickets for any proposed section, no brainer for me. Then speak to the city council about going about it.

I think it would also give your players a boost. It certainly has had that affect on ours.

i'm happy with my seat but i think it should definitely be brought back for those that want it. Being actively against it makes no sense to me.

sad that kids today wont experience what we did, but we are never going back to the working class culture of 60s,70s and 80s.

We stand anyway at City in a manner of speaking so it will make no difference for us.

Absolutely 100% would love to see it at the Etihad. Seems great at Dortmund & Celtic. Cheaper prices for standing like they've done elsewhere would make it more affordable for loads of people who would normally be put off by normal seated ticket pricing = higher attendances & potentially better atmospheres

Has to happen. I agree it won’t necessarily mean an increase in capacity but there are enough fans wanting to stand and they should be able to

I am certainly in favour of safe standing but as JRB says, fans stand already and the atmosphere isn't too great.

It is the old chestnut of separated fans both horizontally and vertically which affects the atmosphere. We sit behind the goals on tier two of the SS and are totally detached from tiers one and three. I don't even know if tier three sings as I've never heard them, and I only hear tier one (the singing section) now and again. My mate, who sits in the corner of the SS/CB also on tier two but without tier three over him, recently sat next to me and he was amazed that we couldn't hear tier one singing as it was loud and clear from his usual seat and we are much closer.

Even though I'm an old git I would happily join in with all singing but it doesn't tend to happen where we are as we are completely detached from it all despite being in the same stand. I'm not sure that safe standing would work unless it was part of a larger single tier stand and had a separate section from the front to the back, to either the left or right of that stand. If that was the case then all the others in the seated half of that stand would no doubt join in. If however it was in a separate strip at the bottom you would have the same problem as now.

Just my opinion mind.

Last edited:
Yes for me,standing and jumping!

Someone said on here will just providing stamnding area improve atmosphere and I do believe it will definately. The tourists will not want to stand, they want seats and hotdogs like going to the cinema.

The more hardcore fans who like a bit of noise and banter will flood into the standing area. So yes I think it would help.

The stadium capacity did not increase. The need to ensure safety means that unless you extend the area and remove seats it's difficult to achieve without someone claiming it's unsafe.

I have read through the posts and it's a misconception to think people will be forced to stand. They may be reallocated a seat, but I didn't notice an uproar.

It gives choice to enjoy the game the way you want. It gives particularly younger men and women the chance people of my generation took for granted.

It does improve the atmosphere. They can lift the whole stadium when you need it. Games can be quiet at times and for me there is nothing worse than visiting fans singing the whole game and no concerted effort to out sing them.

What it would take is a group if fans, we have 3,000 standing, approaching the club to seek backing for it. Every fan who fancied this could show if there is demand. If you got say 3-5,000 wanting to do it thus would make the experience of a game better for those of us who just watch them.

We have 5% of fans in the standing section who help to create the atmosphere and the rest join in.

If I were City I would first test if there is the numbers to buy the season tickets for any proposed section, no brainer for me. Then speak to the city council about going about it.

I think it would also give your players a boost. It certainly has had that affect on ours.

Thanks for your input Magicpole.........

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.