At long last - video technology

The issue is how to stop and restart games, say there is a potential penalty but the attacking team retains the ball and the potential goal scoring threat continues. The ref gives a penalty but it gets reviewed, the final decision is no penalty. How do you restart the game?

Alternatively a penalty claim and the ref doesn’t give it, the defending team boot the ball clear and there is a break away and goal at the other end, how and when and who stops the game to review the penalty that the ref didn’t give.

The video can sort out the penalty claims but the intervention can break up a good attack – you can’t just stop the game then drop the ball to start again. Rugby works as there are lots of natural stoppages and they just play on and the ref can use the video once the game stops, they rarely go back more than 30 seconds but in football the ball can get passed around for a couple of minutes before the ball goes dead. Do you have challenge flags like in American football where a coach can throw a flag on the field to stop the game to review an incident?

Off sides pose plenty of problems as you could video review every one – they are all close by definition.

I’m all for video refs but we don’t want to make this in to some farce where the game is all short sections of play interspersed with video refs.

The issue is how to stop and restart games, say there is a potential penalty but the attacking team retains the ball and the potential goal scoring threat continues. The ref gives a penalty but it gets reviewed, the final decision is no penalty. How do you restart the game?

Alternatively a penalty claim and the ref doesn’t give it, the defending team boot the ball clear and there is a break away and goal at the other end, how and when and who stops the game to review the penalty that the ref didn’t give.

The video can sort out the penalty claims but the intervention can break up a good attack – you can’t just stop the game then drop the ball to start again. Rugby works as there are lots of natural stoppages and they just play on and the ref can use the video once the game stops, they rarely go back more than 30 seconds but in football the ball can get passed around for a couple of minutes before the ball goes dead. Do you have challenge flags like in American football where a coach can throw a flag on the field to stop the game to review an incident?

Off sides pose plenty of problems as you could video review every one – they are all close by definition.

I’m all for video refs but we don’t want to make this in to some farce where the game is all short sections of play interspersed with video refs.

Perhaps an appeal process like Tennis?

Do you have challenge flags like in American football where a coach can throw a flag on the field to stop the game to review an incident?
In NFL a challenge flag can only be thrown between plays, you could have something similar in football to challenge the award of a goal or a penalty while the ball is dead.

Perhaps an appeal process like Tennis?

In NFL a challenge flag can only be thrown between plays, you could have something similar in football to challenge the award of a goal or a penalty while the ball is dead.

In all instances i can think of - the ball goes dead before video refs get involved.

I think the way it works in cricket is a good approach where the ref can call it at their discretion but you also give challenges to the captain (or coach in football). The issue is how do you stop the game, i don't know the answer.

It's a tricky question. One area where it wouldn't be as difficult would be offsides? Have the linesman in front of a computer screen rather than trying to look at two places at once which is literally impossible.

Doubt it will change anything tbh, just a new way to cheat for the favoured few. I expect every tiny shirt pull to then be a penalty for some teams, while "the benefit of the doubt" to be given to the defenders when it's other teams

Doubt it will change anything tbh, just a new way to cheat for the favoured few. I expect every tiny shirt pull to then be a penalty for some teams, while "the benefit of the doubt" to be given to the defenders when it's other teams

Exactly. I already know which top 6 club is going to be top of the league for goals disallowed following video review. Can't believe so many blues want it brought in.

The problem with that is that in the NFL, each play only lasts a few seconds, whereas in football, the ball doesn't always go out after a penalty incident and play can go on for minutes afterwards.

What would you rather have, a game where results are random regardless of team performance or a just result but the may stop every so often?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.